What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pre-season trials: The NRL is losing money

adamkungl

Immortal
On a diehard league fan website you have half the people saying they don't give a f**k about trials, what makes you think the casuals will?

Imagine the advertising

ROOSTERS V COWBOYS IN A ...medium sized PRE SEASON CLAAASSH
NOTHING TO PLAY FOR
RESERVE GRADE COMBINATIONS TESTED
MIGHT BE CALLED OFF DUE TO HEATWAVE
DO. NOT. MISS!

betcats

Referee
On a diehard league fan website you have half the people saying they don't give a f**k about trials, what makes you think the casuals will?

Imagine the advertising

NOTHING TO PLAY FOR
DO. NOT. MISS!

Exactly. You need a lot more interest than just the rusted on fans to make it worth it to the broadcasters. It would need to be promoted a shit load more plus a number of other expenses and no matter what the quality of the product will be well below the normal competition standard so you cant rely on decent numbers watching.

Imagine the advertising

NOTHING TO PLAY FOR
DO. NOT. MISS!

That radio DJ voice for CLASSSSH.

CASH FOR CLASSSSH.

T-Boon

Coach
You can argue from your position of absolutely no knowledge that the ratings will be high, or you can listen to someone who was involved in broadcasting a trial and has seen a breakdown of the numbers.

I am going to go with my knowledge that ratings will be high. Based on good ratings for Nines, and the anticipated good ratings for tonights game. Your story is relevant but after giving it consideration you haven't given enough detail for me to be persuaded. Lots of fans aren't members, don't get onto the internet regularly, if they do they just don't care for the idea of looking into the live stream. I'm an Eels fan and would love to watch the NT trial this weekend but I am just not sure I can be bothered to find out if there is a live stream or not. Probably I will. Though I am not even sure what time it is on which will involve me getting onto the Eels website which I rarely do.
The other key indicator that it would rate well is that Nine have buried the rights presumably because they don't won't their competitors doing well with them.

T-Boon

Coach
Exactly. You need a lot more interest than just the rusted on fans to make it worth it to the broadcasters. It would need to be promoted a shit load more plus a number of other expenses and no matter what the quality of the product will be well below the normal competition standard so you cant rely on decent numbers watching.

So Seven will broadcast womens fumble in addition to their mens pre season, but we shouldn't even consider Fox broadcasting our pre season. How far behind are we?

Reactions: siv

adamkungl

Immortal

Don't get me wrong, there are cases where some things should be televised for the good of the sport, and investment should be made even if initial ratings are low (specifically international matches not featuring Australia) - but NRL trial matches are not one of them.

betcats

Referee
So Seven will broadcast womens fumble in addition to their mens pre season, but we shouldn't even consider Fox broadcasting our pre season. How far behind are we?

We are a long way behind in a lot of areas. In terms of fanatical fan support it isn't even close.

Perth Red

Post Whore
How many people advocating for trial games to be televised have actually been to one?

Do yourself a favour - go and watch a couple. Then it will be patently obvious as to why they're not televised

Went to a trial game in Perth featuring Cowboys few years back. 10k crowd, lovely warm night, players really casual and interacted with fans, very enjoyable.

adamkungl

Immortal
Fwiw i'd watch them if they were televised (and I had nothing to do) but I don't believe it's something the NRL should spend money on (a preseason comp) or force the networks into, given there are many other pressing issues where they can use their money or leverage.

I'd prefer these games went bush, which in itself makes it difficult and expensive to televise well due to limited facilities.

betcats

Referee
Have you seen some of the stuff on Foxsports? I'm imagining tv audience is pretty low for some things they show!

Yep and they probably pay very little for the rights to show it. Eventually they will be broadcast, next deal or the deal after it but it wont be worth much to us imo.

I am going to go with my knowledge that ratings will be high. Based on good ratings for Nines, and the anticipated good ratings for tonights game. Your story is relevant but after giving it consideration you haven't given enough detail for me to be persuaded. Lots of fans aren't members, don't get onto the internet regularly, if they do they just don't care for the idea of looking into the live stream. I'm an Eels fan and would love to watch the NT trial this weekend but I am just not sure I can be bothered to find out if there is a live stream or not. Probably I will. Though I am not even sure what time it is on which will involve me getting onto the Eels website which I rarely do.
The other key indicator that it would rate well is that Nine have buried the rights presumably because they don't won't their competitors doing well with them.

You're kinda like those guys that say to climate scientists; "well it was hot when I was a kid so climate change isn't real" aren't you?

T-Boon

Coach
You're kinda like those guys that say to climate scientists; "well it was hot when I was a kid so climate change isn't real" aren't you?

If their evidence and data was as flimsy as yours yes I would.
Have a look at how the All stars rated last night.

If their evidence and data was as flimsy as yours yes I would.
Have a look at how the All stars rated last night.

Flimsy evidence? I was directly involved in the production of a trial broadcast last year and I still have the detailed report on viewer engagement. The internet allows you to track viewers waaay better than the TV ratings system too champ. My co caller on the day works for Fox and he said that the viewer numbers would not have justified Foxs higher production costs (multiple cameras etc). The fact is it "rated" far worse than the lowest NRL club match on fox and by some margin. You have to keep in mind that not everyone has fox either but everyone has a smartphone/computer so it was way more accesible.

So I've been there, done that and yet you know better?

T-Boon

Coach
Flimsy evidence? I was directly involved in the production of a trial broadcast last year and I still have the detailed report on viewer engagement. The internet allows you to track viewers waaay better than the TV ratings system too champ. My co caller on the day works for Fox and he said that the viewer numbers would not have justified Foxs higher production costs (multiple cameras etc). The fact is it "rated" far worse than the lowest NRL club match on fox and by some margin. You have to keep in mind that not everyone has fox either but everyone has a smartphone/computer so it was way more accesible.

So I've been there, done that and yet you know better?

was anyone other than die hard cronulla fans who were members and had enough data to stream a football game ever going to watch it?...I've just checked with some of my Eels season ticket holder mates and none of them know whether Parra in Alice Springs is being streamed or not. All they know is its not on TV so they don't care. Streaming sport is not something the average sports fan does yet. Let alone did 18 months ago.

Lambretta

First Grade
I went to one at Maitland sports ground between Parra and the Knights in 2001. It was awesome - the town was pretty excited - 4000 crowd. The game was exciting - but this was pre wrestle. I also went to one in Campbelltown in maybe 2010. Another very exciting game had me thinking Parra was going to be competitive - we were not.
Both games were very televisable.
In addition if clubs know their games are going to be televised and the sponsors are getting exposure they are going to put on an ok show. I think the games you've been to sound like a good argument for not having trials at all.
Your point is not a good one.

I've been to a few and this is how most of them go
Play the first half with 5 of your best players missing, then in the second half substitute the entire team and have the reserve grade side play

Actual standard of play - somewhere between 30 and 50% of the effort you see in a normal game

If you think anyone is going to tune into that you're mad

The whole point of trial games is to have a bit of a run around and give the kids the chance to meet a few of the players. That works well for TV

Trials should be about engaging with fan base as much as combos on the field.

That it's thirty bucks to get in, lol.

Latest posts