What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prepare for some news

Diesel

Coach
Unless it's exceptional circumstances we can only rely on ex-Kiwis coming home or homegrown talent. Because we rely on juniors we'll always have a young team so we need a few hardnose experienced forwards much like what we have now with Mannering and Hoffman or in the past with Price and Wiki or Campion with Clearly at the back with Jones

Parramatta st 5 years? Lose their best player to nfl.
GC - general drug riddled not achieveme anything rabble.

Yet both clubs manage to sign players warriors can only dream about.

Surely we're just not paying enough?

Travel basically every second week, no post league career in media or marketability (vs being an ex All blacks), stigma of NZ and the weather/lifestyle vs Sydney.
NZ dollar could be an influence, cost of living in Auckland for what you get. Moving your whole family over.
What does the wife/partner do? Give up her career?
We sacked a coach who moved over in just over 12 months.( security?)
If thing not working out harder to just up and shift to another club a suburb over.

There is a reason over a fifth of NZs live overseas.

http://m.stats.govt.nz/browse_for_stats/population/mythbusters/1million-kiwis-live-overseas

We need to pay massive overseas to attract talent or get those near the end of their career.

Wonder if SJ wonders how much he would make on the open market with all this money been thrown at halves???

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
$4.7m would be made up with a lot of TPA's, but regardless him and Watmough would take a fair chunk of the roster. I am Lying really was living up to his name.

Kinda glad we don't have that serious amount of money tied up in one player.

I fell that Foran would have been well worth it tbh given the way he helps SJ's game

Rich102

Staff member
Yeah, but then you would have to pay SJ the same or he would sulk, and, quite frankly, he is not worth nearly as much.

JJ

Immortal
$4.7m would be made up with a lot of TPA's, but regardless him and Watmough would take a fair chunk of the roster. I am Lying really was living up to his name.

Kinda glad we don't have that serious amount of money tied up in one player.

Generally yes, but I think there are a few players that are genuinely worth it - there are not many, but Foran is one...

:lol: at IL and Veitch

Juju

Juniors
Auckland property prices have become beyond crazy.
Cost of food is stupid.
Climate compared to Sydney is colder.
Quality of beaches on these players doorsteps - better in Sydney.

I could definitely see why they would not want to come here.

JJ

Immortal
Auckland property prices have become beyond crazy.
Cost of food is stupid.
Climate compared to Sydney is colder.
Quality of beaches on these players doorsteps - better in Sydney.

I could definitely see why they would not want to come here.

1. But not as stupid as Sydney's
2. Not sure that's the case...
3. Yes, for sure
4. On doorstep yes, but a short drive to Piha etc, Omaha and the Coromandel

Sorry, but much as I love Sydney it's bullshit to argue it's obviously better than Auckland - both are wonderful cities...

Home is home though so that will always be tough - but Price came and tsayed. Bottom line is, I reckon the culture of the Warriors isn't attractive - I imagine off shore player might look at the horrors of Parramatta but think that it could be turned relatively quickly (as it has in the past) - whereas, for all the coaches, players etc - the Warriors inconsistency etc has never changed... That all being said, I have no f**king idea why anyone would go to the Gold Coast, aside from it's a nice part of the world!

I wonder if they could run "exit interview" style questions with the players or managers that say no.
So they could learn as to why they say no.
Some things might be fixable?

Juju

Juniors
I wonder if they could run "exit interview" style questions with the players or managers that say no.
So they could learn as to why they say no.
Some things might be fixable?
When we are getting turned downed offering more money and the players are signing / resigning with clubs on a par or crappier at footy what can the decision be?

Sydney > Auckland

OR

They hate Dean Bell

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Think its personal preference. Would Hoffman or Thompson be courted by Sydney clubs? What about Campion and Price?

We can compete. We have had the ability to sign top drawer players.

Why aren't we really getting Foran, Taumololo I really would like to know why. Personal preference? Bell related? Can these players not see a successful Warriors team?

Don't think we ever had a chance with Merrin.

One Warrior

Bench
Not sure where to put this, Tomkins is open to extending his contract, his words:

League: Tomkins right at home in Auckland

Sunday, 15 March 2015
The New Zealand Herald

Sam Tomkins loves Auckland. Photo / Michael Craig
By Michael Burgess

Sam Tomkins is open to extending his stay in Auckland beyond his current contract which expires at the end of 2016.

The 25-year-old, who returns to the Warriors' lineup against Canberra tonight after missing the season opener with a hamstring injury, was the subject of considerable conjecture last season, with speculation that he may depart before the end of his full term at Mt Smart.

But the former Wigan fullback says he would consider lengthening his time in New Zealand, although his immediate focus is to help lock in some success at the Auckland club.

"I'd be completely open to [staying longer]," Tomkins told the Herald on Sunday. "It depends where the Warriors were and if they wanted me to stay and if I wanted to at that point.

"But right now I'm concentrating on making this season a successful campaign for me and the team. With this squad, if we can all play to the best of our abilities, there is no reason we can't get right amongst it."

Success, longed for by Warriors fans, is also a major priority for Tomkins. He won a truckload of individual and team honours at Wigan and he wants more.

"I didn't travel to the other side of the world to not be in a successful team," he said. "That's why I came here. I wanted the challenge of a new competition but also to be successful in that, both personally and on a team level. Success is a big thing but this is a club that is striving for it. It's one that has probably been starved of success for a while. I'd love nothing more than to win a premiership with these blokes."

This year is pivotal for Tomkins. He struggled to make an impact early last season, unable to find his best form in a team that weren't firing. There were moment of brilliance but also crucial errors.

Things turned in the second half of the season. His combination with the other playmakers began to gel, and he became a vital attacking link.

He contributed 13 try assists - more than anyone else at the club - and also recorded a team-high 108 tackle breaks. Those numbers will guarantee him extra attention this year, his game micro- analysed by opposition teams.

"Last year they got to know how I play but I don't think there is any more pressure now than there was last season," Tomkins said. "I hope to deliver more consistency. I didn't start the best last year so this time I want to get on the front foot and carry that right through."

Tomkins spent the off-season visiting family in England, as well as time in New York and Los Angeles. He watched the Brooklyn Nets, went sightseeing and supplemented his famous sneaker collection.

"I had to book an extra case coming back but it's not a bad addiction to have," laughed Tomkins. "I could be addicted to worse things."

He is still a homebody, but has learned to love life in the Queen city.

"I still miss family and friends but the actual lifestyle here is brilliant. After training, instead of going to sit in Starbucks because it is wet and cold, you can go for a walk on the beach or a swim."

Tonight Tomkins needs to add some guile to an attack that lacked a cutting edge last week. He'll provide an extra option on the edges and is also one of the most prominent talkers in the team.

"He just gives us another dimension," coach Andrew McFadden said. "Losing him last weekend was a significant blow but he is ready to go."

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11417548

I hope curiosity doesn't get the better of Tomkins and he ends up moving to English rugby union. It's already too late for him, and besides M Brown is a better all-round fullback than him. The wing? Nah, maybe, but nah, waste of time for him. He might bring something different to the England RU side, but he may not get a run on the wing either.

vvvrulz

Coach
I like the way Tomkins carries himself. He had an interview on Radio Sport and was asked a few questions around Lolohea, he said straight up he's a great player and fullback is his best position. Then went on to say he'll have to step it up to keep Tui out, and it's great for him and the team.

Latest posts