What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Priddis is 100% correct

SP

Bench
from Foxsports.com.au
Lack of credit annoys Priddis
September 11, 2004

IT still bothers Penrith hooker Luke Priddis that some people believe the Sydney Roosters were the best team in the NRL last year.

Penrith won the 2003 minor premiership and then beat the Roosters 18-6 in a classic grand final but the critics have not completely sheathed their knives.

The Panthers went a step closer to defending their premiership crown last night with a thrilling 31-30 victory over St George Illawarra at Penrith Stadium.

It also helped dispel the commonly held belief that the 2004 premiership is a two-horse race between the Roosters and the Bulldogs.

"It gets to you a bit with people saying the Roosters were the best side last year," said Priddis, who scored a 17th minute try last night as the home side shot to a 24-0 lead.

"You sit back and say 'well I think we were because we won the minor premiership and then went on to win the premiership itself'.

"Everyone has their own opinions.

"We'll just sit back and see what happens this weekend and then work out what we have to do next weekend to progress to the next round."

Presuming North Queensland and Canberra drop out of the finals race this weekend, the Panthers will meet either Brisbane or Melbourne in one of two semi-finals next week.

"Last year it was the same thing - the Roosters and Bulldogs were meant to reach the grand final," Priddis pointed out.

"What all the punters must realise is that there's eight teams in the finals and while we lose two sides this week, it's down to six next week.

"I think this competition has proved this year that on their day, any side can beat anyone."

Coach John Lang said he was particularly pleased with the intensity of the Panthers' defence last night when they held out the Dragons for repeated sets of six in the second half.

"They're a gun side Saints and they were throwing everything at us," said Lang.

"We were coming up and making the tackles."

Trent Waterhouse, who scored the opening two tries and set up the third for Preston Campbell, and Test prop Joel Clinton were standouts for the Panthers.

An unsung hero was Shane Rodney, who continually bent the Dragons backwards in the absence of Kiwi international back-rowers Tony Puletua (ankle) and Joe Galuvao (shoulder).

"I'll give a big rap to Shane Rodney," said Priddis.

"He was struggling a couple of weeks ago and he's been one of our best players in the last three weeks.

"His defence has lifted the side as a whole.

"Just the confidence that everyone's getting off everyone else.

"You see Shane Rodney making those great tackles and Ben Pomeroy and Danny Galea come out and make some sensational tackles as well ... it's great to have that enthusiasm.

"If we can just get our options right from a few of our senior players, including myself, I think we'll be in for a good show next week regardless of who we play."

Australian international centre Luke Lewis (shoulder) and Galuvao are expected back next weekend while Puletua, who will test his ankle on Monday, is in most doubt.

Although it reminds me of the 1990's when everyone wanted a Brisbane V Canberra/Manly GRand Final, but it never happened.

Time will tell, but i believe, like last yr that either one or neither of the 2 will be there.

And also Luke Lewis isnt an Australian International technally, he never played a game

choc_soldier

Coach
Great article. :clap:

I think it's only a certain number of Chooks fans who think that though.

99% of people have admitted that the Panthers were the number 1 team last year. And we had the two trophies to show that...

SP

Bench
i think it was only a french presidents select XIII

so it shouldnt be really classed as a test

Eelementary

Post Whore
I for one think the Panthers were the best team of the year, and the Minor Premiership and Premiership prove that.

However, there are instances where the Premiers aren't the best team of the year - 2001, 2002 (Dogs were probably the team of 2002 but because they cheated they couldn't prove it whilst the Warriors NOT the Chooks finished first; in my case, my team was the best team all year round, but faltered for 40 minutes).

In any case, take no notice of people - the League is incredibly biased towards the Roosters and Bulldogs.

pyro

Juniors
I think the Panthers were the best team in 2003, but only just.
Stop saying that the Roosters 2002 Premiership is tainted because of the Dogs. The Dogs were leading the comp that year because they cheated, the Roosters were the best team in the end because they didn't cheat. Alas the Premiership.

Munky

Coach
pyro said:
I think the Panthers were the best team in 2003, but only just.
Stop saying that the Roosters 2002 Premiership is tainted because of the Dogs. The Dogs were leading the comp that year because they cheated, the Roosters were the best team in the end because they didn't cheat. Alas the Premiership.

The Warriors were the better team throughout the season but the Roosters fired at the end of the season.

lainey

Juniors
The Bulldogs cheated the salary cap but they were leading the comp at the time. How can you say they were leading the comp BECAUSE they were cheating??? I'm confused as to how you come to this conclusion. :?

Caged Panther

First Grade
because their team was made up of players that they quite potentially may not have had or have been able to retain the services of if it weren't for their cheating of the salary cap.

*Sandy*

First Grade
Yeah. An article about lack of credit giving lack of credit themselves. Typical. #-o