What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private v public schools

soc123_au

Staff member
Private schools are better if you're religious, rich, or your kid gets a scholarship. If you don't fit into that, then public school is great. It really just depends on the kid.

roc was awarded a scholarship at a swanky private school but chose to go to a selective public school instead. It seems to be panning out well so far. The facilities at the private school were amazing, when they took us on the tour it was way beyond anything I have ever seen at a public school. Still facilities are just fluff, the teachers are the key. The reason he chose the selective was the academic benchmarks would be higher due to everyone having to hit a high standard to be accepted in as opposed to Mum & Dad being cashed up.

I went to a public boys only school in NZ and still have good memories of it...taught me massive respect for the Kiwi Culture and how to lead and take responsibility on board at a young age.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Private schools and public selects have the advantage of being able to kick out students they don't care for. This provides a healthier cohort for atar grading. Also there is a lot of cultural capital in going to a private school. That shit matters in the real world more than one thinks.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Private schools and public selects have the advantage of being able to kick out students they don't care for. This provides a healthier cohort for atar grading. Also there is a lot of cultural capital in going to a private school. That shit matters in the real world more than one thinks.

then there is muslim schools who discriminate against everyone who is non muslim

Springbokfly

Juniors
For Johannesburg- private
The state schools not recommend due to low standard education and not that safe for anyone.

McLovin

Staff member
I find private school boys to be stuck up and quite rude. Much prefer the easiness of a public school boy

Misanthrope

Staff member
For Johannesburg- private
The state schools not recommend due to low standard education and not that safe for anyone.

I can imagine it would be an entirely different can of worms in South Africa. I've only really had much to do with Afrikaaners though, so it's not exactly a representative cross-section of the populace.

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
It does in the eyes of certain employers

I know a few law firms that will bin job apps by those from a public school, direct quote from one of the partners.

Its all about prestige in some occupations. Same deal with certain universities.

Kiwi

First Grade
My daughter did prep in a private school, she was high up in her class, we moved to Brisbane and she started going to a public school. She was behind what they were learning in the public school. She ended the year getting the academic award at the public school for her class. My son started prep in the same public school and he is well ahead of where his sister was at the same point, and catching up fast to where a family friends child is in grade 1 at a private school. It comes down to the school though, we are lucky the school here in Bracken Ridge our kids attend is exceptional, had 1 child shy of 100% attendance for naplan as well ( I'm on the P n C ), it's well run and I wouldn't send my children to another school, even if it was fee free to any private school in the city.

Rebel

First Grade
Education wise, there isn't ysyally much difference. Parents pay for the perception of difference and the prestige of a private school.

But all schools are different, it's the teachers that make it.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Standardised one size fits all education for a world of unique thinking individuals. Some will thrive, some will fall through the cracks, some will succeed or fail regardless of their school grades and very little of that will have anything to do with public or private schooling IMO.

The single biggest educator is new experience and exploration (not necessarily physically), sadly both of which aren't encouraged enough by schools or parents.