What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Proposed test between England & the Kiwi's in USA?

Rich102

Staff member
The Warriors are open to releasing their Kiwi internationals for a proposed mid-year test against England in Denver but have major concerns about their players embarking on the long-haul trip.

The Auckland-based NRL outfit's high number of New Zealand test stars will likely make them one of the clubs most affected by the proposed game on US soil in the June 22-24 standalone representative weekend.

Sources in Australia believe the test is close to a done deal and recent reports suggested an announcement regarding the match could come this week. Officials have reportedly focused on convincing clubs with large contingents of Kiwi players to support the initiative.

The Warriors are prepared to consider releasing the likes of Kiwis captain Adam Blair, halfback Shaun Johnson and fullback Roger Tuivasa-Sheck for the test, but have serious concerns about player welfare.

The club are alarmed they have not heard any formal confirmation of the fixture from either the promoters Moore Sports or the NZRL, and are yet to receive any fine detail regarding proposed travel plans, logistics and player insurance.

"Firstly we haven't had any confirmation of the Kiwis participating in it," Warriors CEO Cameron George told the Herald.

"Secondly, if that's coming, we'll be requesting all the details right through from travel details to player insurance for the United States.

"Welfare is critical but as I've said previously, we totally support international rugby league and the game getting wider exposure."

Warriors coach Stephen Kearney spoke about the matter yesterday with NZRL well-being and education manager Nigel Vagana, but expressed grave reservations about his players travelling such a distance.

"I don't know (if it will go ahead). I haven't heard the detail, no," said Kearney.

"I do (have concerns) definitely. It's not like going to Brisbane and playing.

"I had a discussion with Nigel Vagana yesterday and I think something is supposed to come out in the next week or so. I'm not too sure, but he's just keeping me across it."

Wayne Bennett guaranteed to release his players for the Denver test, with the 68-year-old also in talks with the RFL about renewing his contract as England coach, after his first two-year term expired following the World Cup final last November.

Bennett issued his assurance that even if he is not in charge of the England side going forward, he would happily let the likes of Broncos stars Jordan Kahu, Alex Glenn and Kodi Nikorima turn out for the Kiwis.

"It's not that we haven't done these games before, the problem is we don't do it on a consistent basis," Bennett told NRL.com.

"And if we're trying to build the game, which we obviously are with the World Cup that is going to be in the States in 2025, if we don't start doing things like this no one is going to know what rugby league is over there in 2025.

"If this game wasn't to go ahead it would be hypocritical. And it would be a case of bias against the English given the other countries can now get players released.

"Clubs have to release players for State of Origin, we have to release them to play for Tonga, Samoa and whatever else.

"So what's the difference with Australia, England and New Zealand?

"Those guys have been playing the Australia-New Zealand test in the middle of the season anyway for the past decade, what's the difference?"

The Herald attempted to speak to Moore Sports and the NZRL but is yet to receive a reply.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=11994469

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
The 2025 World Cup is in USA? Why? Since 1987, when the hugely unsuccessful Origin exhibition game happened, would I be right in saying league has had bugger all if not zero impact over there?

What a dense idea to have that level of travel in the middle of a season. I don't like using our travel as an excuse but when we already have I think it was 8 times as much travel as the Roosters or most Sydney clubs, scheduling a game in the US when it's guaranteed to involve 3-4 of our main talent is just piss-taking.

Interesting that Bennett, the man most famous for not allowing his players to play ref football at every chance he gets, has declared himself all for this. He must have an agenda, the slimy old fool.

The 2025 World Cup is in USA? Why? Since 1987, when the hugely unsuccessful Origin exhibition game happened, would I be right in saying league has had bugger all if not zero impact over there?

What a dense idea to have that level of travel in the middle of a season. I don't like using our travel as an excuse but when we already have I think it was 8 times as much travel as the Roosters or most Sydney clubs, scheduling a game in the US when it's guaranteed to involve 3-4 of our main talent is just piss-taking.

Interesting that Bennett, the man most famous for not allowing his players to play ref football at every chance he gets, has declared himself all for this. He must have an agenda, the slimy old fool.

They will need to advertise JT to put on a Super Bowl half time show!

Not sure if Thurston can travel? :) (or sing????)

Storm will have more players out than us.

Last edited:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
They will need to advertise JT to put on a Super Bowel half time show!

Not sure if Thurston can travel? :) (or sing????)

Storm will have more players out than us.

Us - Harris RTS SJ Mannering Blair possibly Luke Hiku Gavet

Storm - Bromwich x 2 Asofa-Solomona.

We'll have more. And I'm sure Bellamy won't be too fond of it either. Bennett is, probably so he can get paid more by England. He's always got an agenda.

JJ

Immortal
Was hoping Blair might have played his last test... still a bonus for the Warriors if he's unavailable for the weekend - release him and keep the rest

Us - Harris RTS SJ Mannering Blair possibly Luke Hiku Gavet

Storm - Bromwich x 2 Asofa-Solomona.

We'll have more. And I'm sure Bellamy won't be too fond of it either. Bennett is, probably so he can get paid more by England. He's always got an agenda.
We will play half those guys out of form. :) Plus will our season be over by then? :(
Storm have young Smith as well and will develop some unknown NZ talent.

Last edited:

Iafeta

Referee
What a ridiculous debacle this is. The NZRL can't help but lurch from one illogical mistake to the next

Skinner

Coach
I have no issue with this test......just the timing. They should all be played at the season end.