What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PSA: RLWC 2017 Tickets on Public sale today!

Burns

First Grade
Just a heads up, I'm sure we're all aware but as a reminder tickets for the World Cup 2017 enter public sale today at 10AM AEDT time, 11AM AEST time, 12PM NZDT time and 12 AM BST.

Link to fixtures with links to ticket site is here --->http://www.rlwc2017.com/fixtures

Also be aware that on Facebook, the RLWC2017 Page is having a livestream with Steve Renouf & Garry Schofield, hosted by Channel 7's Jim Wilson to launch the '1 Year to Go' Countdown!

Who's buying tickets now in the public sale? I held off during the pre-sale in hope of better seats being released. I'll start a 'RLWC 2017 Ticket Watch' thread soonish as well.

Andrew Hill has stated they are aiming for 450,000 tickets sold, an average of about 16,500 per game. Can it happen?

Hoofhearted

Juniors
2013 had total attendance of 458,000 @ 16,300 per game, you would hope that the WC would be growing and these figures would increase each time. Appears the organisers are aiming to just match the previous.

morningstar

Juniors
Getting my final tickets today.

I certainly hope they are being conservative with the much vaunted 450,000 figure. It's less than RLWC2013 total and the approximate occupancy is only 66%. Should be aiming for 500,000+ or 75% occupancy at a minimum.

morningstar

Juniors
What's the total possible capacity of the tournament?

When the venues were first announced I did a quick estimate based on the capacities on Wikipedia. I got 685,222 maximum capacity.

I've only counted the double headers once. PNG is still TBA so allowed 17,000 capacity there.

Burns

First Grade
So, because my uni lecture was really boring I've sat here and done a 'projected estimation' of what crowd figures we might see throughout the World Cup.

And, well as East Coast Tiger and morningstar have alluded too the figure of 450,000 would be disappointing given the 2013 WC figure.

But, after my run through - I don't think it will be far off the mark.

GROUP A
Aus v Eng in Melbourne – Sell out
France v Lebanon – 10,000 (Canberra)
Aus v France – 15,000 (Canberra)
England v Lebanon – 20,000 (Syd)
England v France – Perth – Double Header- Sell Out – 20,500
GROUP A Total = 75,000 (not including double header)

GROUP B

NZ v Samoa = Sell Out – 20,000 (Auckland)
Scotland v Tonga = 8,000 Cairns (Double Header)
NZ v Scotland = 12,000 (Christchurch)
Samoa v Tonga = 15,000 (Hamilton)
Samoa v Scotland Cairns = 6,000 (Cairns)
NZ v Tonga = 15,000 (Hamilton)
GROUP B Total = 68,000 (not including double header)

Group C

PNG v Euro = 17,000 - Sell Out
PNG v Euro = 17,000 - Sell Out
Europe v Europe - Perth - Double Header (See France v England)
Group C Total– 34,000 (not including double header)

Group D

Fiji v US = 12,000 (Townsville)
Europe v US = 15,000 (Townsville) (double header)
Fiji v Europe – 10,000 (Canberra)
Group D Total – 22,000 (not including double header)

INTER POOL MATCHES C & D
Europe v Europe = 7,000 (Cairns)
Fiji v Europe = 15,000 (Townsville) (double)
PNG v US = 17,000(PNG) - Sell out
Inter Pool Total = 24,000

Double Header Matches (15,000 + 8,000+ 20,000) = 43,000
Group Stage Total = 266,000

Quarter Finals
Darwin = 12,000 Sellout (with Aus v Tonga = Sell Out)
Christchurch = 14,000 (with Samoa v Fiji)
Wellington = 24,000 (with NZ v France)
Melbourne = 18,000 (with Eng v PNG)
Quarter Finals Total = 68,000

Semi Finals
Brisbane = 36,000 – AUS v FIJI
Auckland = 30,000 (sell out) – NZ v ENG
Semi Final Total = 66,000

Final
Sell Out = 54,000

TOTAL ATTENDANCE = 456,000

Burns

First Grade
Good effort Burns. You are missing out Aus v Lebanon from the group stage though.
Haha, well let's say 20,000 there then? That would push us to 476,000 which is a bit better.

I thought these were mostly conservative estimates. I worry about venues like Townsville. Feel like I was downplaying the NZ venues, particularly the Samoa/Tonga games. Who knows? If it's all marketed aggressively we should be able to get near 500,000 attendance.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Think you are over selling the NZ Games to be honest, even with cheap tickets i think we will do well to attract the following:

NZ v Samoa = 15,000 (Auckland)
NZ v Scotland = 10,000 (Christchurch)
Samoa v Tonga = 10,000 (Hamilton)
NZ v Tonga = 10,000 (Hamilton)
Christchurch = 6,000 (with Samoa v Fiji)
Wellington = 12,000 (with NZ v France)
Auckland = 20,000 – NZ v ENG

Cant believe the Tonga vs Samoa game is in Hamilton! Why the hell would you not play it at Mt Smart in the city with the most pacific islanders in the country....strange....

Wellington has done well previously for Kiwis games but that was against Australia or England. 20,000 against England and 25,000 for a final against Australia was a pretty good effort, but a test against a developing nation will be interesting. Hopefully the fact its the only game in Wellington will help it sell.

Surprised they didn't take the Samoa vs NZ game to Whangaeri like they did in 2014 where they attracted 17,000.

Burns

First Grade
I admit I'm not very knowledgeable on how NZ attends most events. The Rugby Union World Cup drew massive crowds. I think NZers can respond well. How often are the New Zealand team playing in New Zealand? That's the pint of leverage you think would attract some big numbers to their matches, particularly in Wellington.

Samoa v Tonga is the 'prize' game for a match not invoking the Big 3 I feel (well, not including PNG Home matches). Shame to hear it may have placed in the 'wrong area'.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
I admit I'm not very knowledgeable on how NZ attends most events. The Rugby Union World Cup drew massive crowds. I think NZers can respond well. How often are the New Zealand team playing in New Zealand? That's the pint of leverage you think would attract some big numbers to their matches, particularly in Wellington.

Samoa v Tonga is the 'prize' game for a match not invoking the Big 3 I feel (well, not including PNG Home matches). Shame to hear it may have placed in the 'wrong area'.

I just read an article online from Hamiltons Mayor stating that they are aiming to sell both games out....so we will see. To be honest unless 1,000's travel from Auckland for the game, it wont sell out.

The cricket world cup did really well in NZ because they priced the tickets to be very affordable and then the public got behind the underdogs. The reason why the RWC did so well is because Rugby is the national sport here and the All Blacks generally always sell out regardless of who they play..... I think the last two times the Kiwis played Tonga here they got less than 7,000 for both games..

Burns

First Grade
I just read an article online from Hamiltons Mayor stating that they are aiming to sell both games out....so we will see. To be honest unless 1,000's travel from Auckland for the game, it wont sell out.

The cricket world cup did really well in NZ because they priced the tickets to be very affordable and then the public got behind the underdogs. The reason why the RWC did so well is because Rugby is the national sport here and the All Blacks generally always sell out regardless of who they play..... I think the last two times the Kiwis played Tonga here they got less than 7,000 for both games..

I read the same article from the Hamilton mayor, was encouraging. The press coverage today has been rather positive actually. The pricing for the RLWC must be rather comparable to the Cricket, all the games seem to be at least $20 NZ for one adult ticket.

The last time NZ played Tonga was a warm up game no? The allure of a 'World Cup' should add people. An event like the Auckand Nines shows that people will always attend something that is marketed well/affordable.

Burns

First Grade
i reckon the lebanon games in sydney will damn near sell out
Those game are such mysteries. The 'good feel' story would be massive. 40,000ish to two games? Atmosphere would be something else. England could be in trouble ;););)

roughyedspud

Coach
80,000 to two games...i reckon they'll show up in massive numbers,they've never been to any sort of major,team,sporting event have they? aside from the olympics of course

Burns

First Grade
80,000 to two games...i reckon they'll show up in massive numbers,they've never been to any sort of major,team,sporting event have they? aside from the olympics of course
Yep! As I was saying in response to kiwileaguefan, if this whole thing is marketed correctly "$10 tickets! 10 tickets!", the Lebanese community should come out in droves.

Warriors Fever

Juniors
I think the opening Kiwi v samoa game will do well. and unlike other tests in New Zealand we got a whole year to sell them. Hopefully the Lebanese community can come out in droves and produce a unique atmosphere.

Latest posts