What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Publishing Player Salaries

ACTPanthers

Bench
You're posting figures, but I dare say no one on here actually knows who either of you are. That's the difference.

I wouldn't imagine a 19 year old rookie would be happy if all his mates knew how much he was on...professional athlete or no, that shit's private if you want it to be

I see your point - But surely the truth would be better than the media reporting figures that are grossly inflated? My colleagues know what I earn, and I have no problem with that.

nick87

Coach
You're posting figures, but I dare say no one on here actually knows who either of you are. That's the difference.

I wouldn't imagine a 19 year old rookie would be happy if all his mates knew how much he was on...professional athlete or no, that shit's private if you want it to be

On the contrary
Nic Cotric just recently re-signed. At 18 he’s already one of the best wingers in the game. If I’m him and his manager, id love to have FACTS about what every winger in the game is earning... because I’m not signing a deal that makes me anything less than one of the 10 highest paid wingers in the game

Publishing salaries is actually what fuels the market in US sports
The market is constantly being “reset” because everyone knows who earns what and players, especially the good ones, are too prideful to take less than they know lesser players are earning

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
I think Nrl players base contract salary should be made public. In most professions your work colleagues and even the greater public have a good idea what each other earn apart from overtime/incentives etc. yes it would be something else the media/fans will use to bad mouth players but would clear up the crap talk reporters make up anyway. The players would definitely be against the idea though.

A 19 yr old rookie will be on a rookie wage which is stated in the Eba so his wage is already public knowledge. Any car, boat, clothing, boot, 3rd party sponsorship deal that they receive would be outside that. Most players receive other discounts/incentives so it’s just a gauge anyway. Do you all actually think that you know exactly what LeBron, Brady etc are on? Don’t kid yourself.

I think Nrl players base contract salary should be made public. In most professions your work colleagues and even the greater public have a good idea what each other earn apart from overtime/incentives etc. yes it would be something else the media/fans will use to bad mouth players but would clear up the crap talk reporters make up anyway. The players would definitely be against the idea though.

A 19 yr old rookie will be on a rookie wage which is stated in the Eba so his wage is already public knowledge. Any car, boat, clothing, boot, 3rd party sponsorship deal that they receive would be outside that. Most players receive other discounts/incentives so it’s just a gauge anyway. Do you all actually think that you know exactly what LeBron, Brady etc are on? Don’t kid yourself.

Most people in Australia have an ideea of what their colleagues earn, as the pay rates are usually in an industrial instrument (be it an award, or an enterprise agreement). Those are publicly available, and whewn jobs are advertiosed, quite often so is the remuneration.

The rugby league players award only stipulates the absolute minimum a player must be paid.

As to your point about Lebron, Brady et all, you are right. I mean Forbes magazine spend all their time trying to estimate what US sports people earn, including all their endoresement deals. That info often isn't public, which is why they estimate.

mave

Coach
Happy to be proven wrong,

But isn't the simplest solution to have the clubs negotiate deals with players, as well as sponsers doing their TPA's, much as it is now.

But, EVERY payment to a player is from an NRL bank account.

Clubs and TPA sponsors deposit into the NRL account. NRL release the $ to said player.

Any payments/ gifts/boats/ cars, etc that are found to have been given to players outside of NRL control are a violation of the cap.

NRL can keep 100% control over payments, easily monitor the cap, and nothing needs to be made public knowledge.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wouldn’t having player contracts on public record negate the need for them to sign any type of declaration?

Melbourne players could claim innocence because all they had to say was that:
a) the contract they signed was for X amount, but the club then lodged a contract of lesser value to the NRL; or
b) they have no idea what every player in the squad earns, so how would they know if their contract value put the club over the salary cap?

It’s pretty hard for players to claim ignorance when salaries are public and they can very easily see if what they earn is the amount registered with the NRL.

they couldnt hide behind that, they know how much they are getting paid, it appears in their bank account every month lol. At the moment they sign contract/s and it’s up to the club to lodge them with nrl. Players can claim innocence if those contracts arent lodged. The system puts no accountability on the players or their manager.
This way players have to sign off on their agreed salary, gap earnings etc and nrl can hold them accountable if they get paid more than they are declaring.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Could all this just open a can of worms?

Before replays of tries, we as fans just had to accept the decision without knowledge. Now it’s open slather. And I think it’s made fans/supporters less accommodating to the Nrl and Nrl refs/players.

Would publishing salaries really add anything to the game bar give fans more ammunition to complain about the players performance compared to there base wage? Because like LeBron, Brady, Messi all figures are a gauge because of other sponsor deals etc. it still doesn’t fix the issue that fans feel they want to know, which is what people earn exactly. You will never be able to demand players to tell the Nrl what sponsorship, 3rd party deals they receive because ultimately it’s none of there business. It’s the IP.

Exsilium

First Grade
Could all this just open a can of worms?

Before replays of tries, we as fans just had to accept the decision without knowledge. Now it’s open slather. And I think it’s made fans/supporters less accommodating to the Nrl and Nrl refs/players.

Would publishing salaries really add anything to the game bar give fans more ammunition to complain about the players performance compared to there base wage? Because like LeBron, Brady, Messi all figures are a gauge because of other sponsor deals etc. it still doesn’t fix the issue that fans feel they want to know, which is what people earn exactly. You will never be able to demand players to tell the Nrl what sponsorship, 3rd party deals they receive because ultimately it’s none of there business. It’s the IP.

I agree. I think it isn't as simple as revealing a figure. Sponsorship, third party deals and club payments could vary significantly across clubs and would open up numerous avenues of argument.

If anything I'd like to see clubs reveal their respective sponsorship and Third party agreements as a percentage of their top 30 players salaries.

It would highlight the effectiveness of the brand and ability to attract players to their respective clubs. TPA's have always been the difference between clubs.

The Roosters might attract a 45% TPA percentage whereas the Knights might make up 25% from TPA's.

This tells me the roosters branding, marketing power and TP attraction is higher and more likely to net results in player recruitment. It also tells me the knights may have to pay overs for players.

Plenty of counter arguments but at least it would demonstrate the attraction of TP sponsorship to NRL clubs and their respective signings.

soc123_au

Staff member
I’m only part time. I also do 3 days a week as Ariana Grande’s bike seat.
You're the one who got that gig? Well done my man. I was late for the 2nd interview on that one. I had to do OT in my spot as Katheryn Winnick's leather jerkin and missed it.

_Johnsy

Referee
Both salaries and tpas should be published. I can see absolutely no reason not to.
My salary and conditions are published and easily found. I see no issue with this at all. What do they want to hide, that they're well paid? Everyone is well aware of that fact.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Players may not be concerned so much at revealing what they earn but what they earn in comparison to team mates.

A great way to destroy club culture when you find out that a bloke doing the same hard work as you is earning 5 times as much.

Life's Good

Coach
Players may not be concerned so much at revealing what they earn but what they earn in comparison to team mates.

A great way to destroy club culture when you find out that a bloke doing the same hard work as you is earning 5 times as much.

Really good point.

There would be plenty of examples of spuds earning more than good, honest toilers(I think of Super League).

Or even look at Hayne on the GC. ‘Superstar’ not delivering but earning the salary of 4/5 players combined.

Latest posts