What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pure plod

Bloke

Juniors
Hi all, long time reader and first time thread poster. Thought I better add something for posterity, haha.

After this years' Storm team being lauded as the best (post-cap rorting) team they've ever assembled, I thought it would be interesting to come up with a Melbourne Storm team of genuine plodders. The prerequisites I set for selection were a minimum of 5 games or signed to the club for minimum of two years. Jeez, there were some stinkers go through that club. And some blokes who never realised their potential for one reason or another. Kind of forgotten as a result of the long period of success post-2006, legal or otherwise. 2001-2003 a particularly plod-worthy period when you look at team lists combined with on field results.

1. Aseri Laing
2. Fifita Moala
3. Junior Langi
4. Chris Walker
5. Semi Tadulala
6. Ben Anderson
7. Matt Orford
8. Ryan Tandy
9. James Aubusson
10. Alex Chan
11. Glen Turner
12. Ian Sibbitt
13. Willie Leyshon
14. Brett O'Farrell
15. Russell Aitken
16. Junior Moors
17. Atelea Vea

Done for no other reason than my own curiosity, whetted the appetite to look at a few more of these "super teams" of the last couple of decades.

Cheers.

Bloke

Juniors
Very harsh on Orford, Moops, Aubusson
Yeah, I guess so. Particularly Orford and Aubusson. The only other half that I could choose from was Marty Turner but he didn't play enough games to qualify. Out of Kimmorley, Orford and Cronk, I know which one I would prefer least in my team.... Same goes for Hooker. That position has been so stable since 1998. Process of elimination.

Bloke

Juniors
I was going to do a Parramatta one, but I wasn't sure of the rules.

Mostly can I name a 64 man bench....?

Hahahaha, great comment. The reality is, if these blokes have only played 1 shit game of top level NRL, then they're still 500 times the player I ever was.

No rules, per se. I just thought about creating a proper team, not just naming the worse players 1-17. I had a self-imposed cut-off of 5 games played for the club to be eligible.

Life's Good

Coach
Yeah, I guess so. Particularly Orford and Aubusson. The only other half that I could choose from was Marty Turner but he didn't play enough games to qualify. Out of Kimmorley, Orford and Cronk, I know which one I would prefer least in my team.... Same goes for Hooker. That position has been so stable since 1998. Process of elimination.
For half, what about Luke Kelly or Ben Watts(or did he play FB??)??

Bloke

Juniors
Watts played fullback when Ross was injured, otherwise was on the wing. Almost put Ben Roberts at 6, but let's be honest, Ben Anderson was always going to have that locked up. His own dad dropped him for the '99 Finals series and replaced him with a winger.
Kelly isn't a bad player, imo. He had a wretched run with injuries and then was stuck behind Finch and Widdop.

King hit

Coach
Matt Orford was a good player besides his Canberra stint. Dally M and premiership ring to admire in retirement. Very unlucky not to play State of Origin.

Chris Walker did play for Queensland and wasn't bad in his prime.

Grapple

Bench
When I think of plodders it reminds me of my wonderful team. Players like Tolman for example, not exciting players, mostly boring... but still do their job in a slow plodding way. Here's my all star plod squad.

1. T. Moltzen
2. L. Covell
3 J. Idris
4. J. Wright
5. J. Reddy
6. B. Roberts
7. C. Sandow
8. A. Tolman
9. M. Riddell
10. G. Rose
11. F. Mateo
12. B. Creagh
13. R. Hoffman

14. L. Burt
15. D. Taylor
16. T. Williams
17. J. Robson

Bazal

Post Whore
When I think of plodders it reminds me of my wonderful team. Players like Tolman for example, not exciting players, mostly boring... but still do their job in a slow plodding way. Here's my all star plod squad.

1. T. Moltzen
2. L. Covell
3 J. Idris
4. J. Wright
5. J. Reddy
6. B. Roberts
7. C. Sandow
8. A. Tolman
9. M. Riddell
10. G. Rose
11. F. Mateo
12. B. Creagh
13. R. Hoffman

14. L. Burt
15. D. Taylor
16. T. Williams
17. J. Robson

Burty? Eels leading try scorer, very harsh.

After much consideration I've come up with a Top 25 style plodder squad for Parra since about 1998 when I can remember who the f**kers were. It's a very long list, so guys who played fewer than 10 games haven't been included. I've also not included failed project players (eg Chris Thorman). Just players who were, IMO, straight up plodders.

1-Etu Uaisele
2-Taulima Tautai
3-Jonathon Wright
4-Cheyse Blair
5-Jordan Atkins
6-Kris Keating
7-Brett Finch
8-Mitch Allgood
9-Anthony Mitchell (I've broken my ten game rule because this bloke was the next big thing and wasted a spot in our top 25 for a thousand years while we were winning spoons)
10-Justin Poore
11-Brendan Oake
12-Taniela Lasalo
13-Matt Ryan

14-Shayne Dunley
15-Joseph Paulo
16-Weller Hauraki
17-Junior Paulo (the first one, not the fat one)

Reserve Backs
18-Jeremy Smith (the half)
19-Junior Langi
20-Jacob Loko
21-Reece Robinson

Reserve Forwards
22-Josh Cordoba
23-Steve Crouch
24-Justin Tsoulos
25-Aaron Cannings

26-Billy Rogers. Sat on the bench in several games and was never used, definitely deserves an honourable mention

*shudder*

Bloke

Juniors

After much consideration I've come up with a Top 25 style plodder squad for Parra since about 1998 when I can remember who the f**kers were. It's a very long list, so guys who played fewer than 10 games haven't been included. I've also not included failed project players (eg Chris Thorman). Just players who were, IMO, straight up plodders.

1-Etu Uaisele
2-Taulima Tautai
3-Jonathon Wright
4-Cheyse Blair
5-Jordan Atkins
6-Kris Keating
7-Brett Finch
8-Mitch Allgood
9-Anthony Mitchell (I've broken my ten game rule because this bloke was the next big thing and wasted a spot in our top 25 for a thousand years while we were winning spoons)
10-Justin Poore
11-Brendan Oake
12-Taniela Lasalo
13-Matt Ryan

14-Shayne Dunley
15-Joseph Paulo
16-Weller Hauraki

Reserve Backs
19-Junior Langi
20-Jacob Loko
21-Reece Robinson

Reserve Forwards
22-Josh Cordoba
23-Steve Crouch
24-Justin Tsoulos
25-Aaron Cannings

26-Billy Rogers. Sat on the bench in several games and was never used, definitely deserves an honourable mention

*shudder*

That's a fairly average list. Love it! Junior Langi has now made two squads, glad my memory didn't fail. He was bog average.

Grapple

Bench

1-Etu Uaisele
2-Taulima Tautai
3-Jonathon Wright
4-Cheyse Blair
5-Jordan Atkins
6-Kris Keating
7-Brett Finch
8-Mitch Allgood
10-Justin Poore
11-Brendan Oake
12-Taniela Lasalo
13-Matt Ryan

14-Shayne Dunley
15-Joseph Paulo
16-Weller Hauraki

Reserve Backs
19-Junior Langi
20-Jacob Loko
21-Reece Robinson

Reserve Forwards
22-Josh Cordoba
23-Steve Crouch
24-Justin Tsoulos
25-Aaron Cannings

*shudder*

Yeah I was very hesitant in putting Burt in. He was a pretty tenacious plodder. God, Justin Poore - great call on that one.