What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Put a fork in Scotland, they're done

adamkungl

Immortal
So as far as I can tell Scotland has

Edinburgh Eagles and Strathmore Silverbacks (based near Dundee) competing at a decent level.
Bon Accord Bulls (based near Aberdeen) listed as a developing club, with planned fixtures.
Easterhouse Panthers (based near Glasgow) listed as a developing club, with no planned fixtures.
Glasgow forming a new club.
Aberdeen Warriors reforming.

adamkungl

Immortal
Scotland is running a 3 team league this year with teams playing each other 3 times each for 6 rounds.
Competing are
Strathmore Silverbacks
Glasgow RL
and Fife Lions

If they get through their fixtures successfully maybe next year Edinburgh would consider putting a 2nd team in, and Aberdeen get could back in

Also Scotland 19s defeated Ireland 19s last weekend

welshmagpie

Juniors
Scotland is running a 3 team league this year with teams playing each other 3 times each for 6 rounds.
Competing are
Strathmore Silverbacks
Glasgow RL
and Fife Lions

If they get through their fixtures successfully maybe next year Edinburgh would consider putting a 2nd team in, and Aberdeen get could back in

Also Scotland 19s defeated Ireland 19s last weekend

Aren’t Edinburgh Eagles competing in the North East England comp as well?

yakstorm

First Grade
There is also the Scottish Cup planned for later in the year which will involve Edinburgh, Glasgow, Fife and Strathmore.

I know it's more of a knockout competition, but at least they are creating more games.

Storm13

Juniors
So what give up and put the money in to the islands of Campbeltown and Auckland?
Those Islands are not taking any money away from whoever is putting money into Scotland to begin with, so not sure what point your trying to make there?

Never said to give up either. Pointing out the 18-18 draw.

adamkungl

Immortal
I have no idea why we persist with Scotland? Better to invest funds elsewhere

Which "we" is investing funds into Scotland? It's certainly not the RFL.

Scotland are trending in the right direction after hitting rock bottom, no need to be negative. Might be they have 6 stable clubs, a good junior rep program, and a decent test side by the time 2021 rolls round.

Coastbloke

Bench
I've always found it bizzare that an area so close to League heartland never embraced the code..

I've always been led to believe the Scots were a rough bunch (Braveheart and the Glasgow kiss aside) so I would have thought they would have relished such a game..

Knownothing

Juniors
If we accept the paradigm that rugby league is primarily a working class pursuit in the UK, the explanation might be that soccer is overwhelmingly the favourite game of most of the population, which did not leave much room for rugby league.

Rugby union of course tended to appeal more to public school types.

Springs09

Juniors
Which "we" is investing funds into Scotland? It's certainly not the RFL.

Scotland are trending in the right direction after hitting rock bottom, no need to be negative. Might be they have 6 stable clubs, a good junior rep program, and a decent test side by the time 2021 rolls round.

I don't get where people get the idea that the game has some central funding or something that we divide amongst countries and competitions. The vast majority of clubs and competitions are self-sustaining. I know the clubs and comps I've talked to while in Europe are pretty much just a bunch of blokes getting together for training and paying their own way to games.

Money doesn't go that far at these levels anyway. Hard-working volunteers are much more important.

Pommy

Coach
I've always found it bizzare that an area so close to League heartland never embraced the code..

I've always been led to believe the Scots were a rough bunch (Braveheart and the Glasgow kiss aside) so I would have thought they would have relished such a game..

Sport in Scotland has real issues.
When I was growing up Scotland football were never as good as England but they weren’t getting beat by f**king Kazakhstan and Israel and having to call up second rate English players on heritage grounds.
I don’t know what’s going on but it doesn’t seem the working class are even playing football like they used to. The talent can’t have just gone away but it’s not being harnessed.

If we accept the paradigm that rugby league is primarily a working class pursuit in the UK, the explanation might be that soccer is overwhelmingly the favourite game of most of the population, which did not leave much room for rugby league.

Rugby union of course tended to appeal more to public school types.

I think Rugby Union is on the up across all classes in the UK and Ireland. The 6 nations is what is driving it as well, people love watching good quality international sport.
Wales, Scotland and Ireland don’t compete at a high level consistently in Football so people have latched on to this and from my experience it just seems to be getting bigger.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Friday 11th November 2016

New Zealand 18 - 18 Scotland...

THATS WHY WE PERSIST!
Scotland playing their “home” game in Workington England.

A lot of things need to change both domestically and internationally for Scotland for me to take them seriously.

deluded pom?

Coach
Sport in Scotland has real issues.
When I was growing up Scotland football were never as good as England but they weren’t getting beat by f**king Kazakhstan and Israel and having to call up second rate English players on heritage grounds.
I don’t know what’s going on but it doesn’t seem the working class are even playing football like they used to. The talent can’t have just gone away but it’s not being harnessed.
My theory on the decline of Scottish soccer mirrors the decline of the English soccer team (barring last year’s fluke WC Semi) is that when I was a kid all top flight teams had at least two or three Scots in the squad. That would have been 50+ players playing at the highest level in the U.K. now you’re lucky to find two or three Scots in the whole of the Premier League. English clubs no longer sign their players from within the U.K. They sign them from anywhere in the world and have the financial clout to do so.