What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PVP Round 1 (2005) Covells Vs Bluebags

roosterboy60

Juniors
Covell Brigade v Newtown Bluebags

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Game Thread
Please note - This is a game thread only, therefore only game posts can be made here (Teams, Articles).
Any other posts will result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
Only original essays, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.
[/font]
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Both teams will be allowed 2 reserves.
Rules: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.asp
[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Full Time: Wednesday 9th November at 9pm (Syd time)[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Venue: The Front Row Stadium
ground_tfr_1.jpg

Crowd: 22,530
REFEREE: Capt Dread
[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]**Referee Blows Game On!**[/font]

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
The Covell Brigade have announced their squad for their opening PVP match against the Bluebags this Wednesday evening, by naming one of the biggest selection shocks, since Michael Coorey, who debuted for Brisbane in their 2001 semi final vs St George Illawarra Dragons at the SFS. The Covell Brigade have signed Rugby League Grandstand Forums Star CapttainCovell in one of the biggest off season signings of season 2005. The side also has named Covellz_Gurl , in what could just be the first ever Female Forums 7s player. An underated rookie from Alice Springs, Covellz_Gurl may come off the bench if needed. The Full Squad is:

1) BBSF (C)
2) SomthingWithJohn
3) CapttainCovell
4) No.5_Luke Covell
5) Fadeproof P. Trump

6) Blac_White_N_Blue (Reserve)
7) Covellz_Gurl (Reserve)

tlk

Bench
the two points,tradition
A question in Big league, asking why NRL teams get two points for the bye.
And after much research i learnt and am now able to explain exactly why.
Giving two points for a bye began in soccer competitions in England in the late 1800s.

Football seasons rarely exceeed the three months of winter. The administrators of the past had the same problem the NRL has today, it was impossible to schedule an entire home-and-away series within the length of the season. In many football competitions some of the clubs had two byes, others only had one.So, a team with two byes would be at a distinct disadvantage, especially if 'first-past-the-post' was used. To compensate, teams were awarded two points for a bye.

It could still be argued this was unfair to the team that only got one bye, as they were forced into an extra match to try and earn two points other teams were given. However it can be seen, on balance, that awarding two points for a bye was (overall) fairer than awarding none.

The NSWRL's 1920 competition was the first to have byes (9 clubs). Held over 15 weeks, 6 teams had two byes, the other 3 just one. While each team should have played 16 matches, therIn a competition where each team has the same number of byes, there is probably no justification for the 2 points - other than it now being traditional was only time for most to play 13 matches.

In a competition where each team has the same number of byes, there is probably no justification for the 2 points - other than it now being traditional,
But Tradition is fading - Jerseys of each club are dissapearing into the 21st century prototypes, the old style scoreboards are being expelled for electronic machinery and the old toe poking kicking style is being swapped for a new wave of around the corner kicking used by superstars like Andrew Johns and Luke Covell. So with tradition fading, and a new era coming upon us , the question is raised,will the two points be taken away for the bye in years to come?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Last year's PVP Plate finalists, the Newtown Bluebags roll up and are ready to do battle against the might of the Covelliers.

bluebags_1a.gif

bluebags_1.gif
Dragon_psa (c)
HMS Cheesemaker
Dodge
Moffo
Bring back John Fifita

Reserves:
Willow (vc)
Rexxy

Jono Russell

Bench
Somethingwithjohn makes his PVP debut for the CB with a massive line break right down the middle of the ruck.

To Support or Not to Support

Over the years I have supported a lot of teams, from Canterbury to Cronulla, Australia to Great Britain. I was born and bred a Doggy even to this day my Father still reminds me how I should be wearing dark blue instead of light blue. I remember watching the Bulldog grand finals of the 90’s with much joy cheering on the dogs and too this day I still have a soft spot for the old berry’s but my life changed when a young Matthew Rogers caught my eye and made me realize there was more to league then just winning games, It is about skill, speed, strength and sheer determination, A team does not need the best of the best to win they need heart, passion and pride and the rest will come over a 80 minute period.

This story is not about my fruits of league though it’s regarding a certain issue I like to call Loyalty or as some may say in my case Disloyalty. I don’t ask many people this question much but I am putting it to all that are reading this right now. Who do you really support when it comes to rep level? Now if you’re a New South Welshman for shore you will say NSW and if you’re a Kiwi you will say New Zealand no doubts. But I see it very different and I can not speak for others but I know there are others out there.

I was born in NSW which for those fortunate enough to skip those boring geography classes at school it is located in Australia, I know hard to believe isn’t it. But I do not support NSW or Australia always. I support my Cronulla Sharks I always have and always will but you may ask what do they have to do with rep games? Well let me say this when Matt Rogers geared up in that Maroon Jersey I was backing him all the way I was going for QLD, I wanted my Sharks star to succeed so bad that I went against my home state. When Danny Nutley wore the Maroon jersey I was cheering him on hoping he would show some of those NSW forwards a thing or two.

This past month I have been following the Tri Nations games being played and I tell you now when Australia faces off against Great Britain I am backing the Aussies all the way but when New Zealand play I am finding my self cheering on Nigel Vagana and the NZ side.

I can not explain this behavior nor do I know if I am alone on this one but I can say this, When a player runs onto the field for a rep side he isn’t just representing his country but he is Representing his club side. When Vagana, Nuttley, Kimmorley, Bailey run on to the field, part of Cronulla Sutherland is taking that field as well. My heart is cheering on these boys and I want them to succeed

You may call me disloyal, but if you see me around these forums saying go Qld or I’m glad New Zealand won that game then just check there line up if there is some Sharks Heart and Soul in there then you know why. So ask yourself that question once again, who do you really support when it comes to Rep games?

Word Count: 572

Sources:
sharks.leagueunlimited.com

Dragon_psa

First Grade
bluebags_1a.gif
Dragon_psa, in his debut as Captain, embarks on a seek and destroy mission against the Covellier defence.

The mother of all comebacks.

Rugby League is a game that is littered with stories of courage under great adversity over it’s glorious and at times turbulent history. Stories abound of muddied and bloodied gladiators overcoming seemingly impossible odds to emerge triumphant after epic battles that would go down in history as truly legendary. John Sattler playing most of the 1971 Grand Final with his jaw broken in 3 places, St. George’s 11 consecutive Grand Final victories (including the renowned 1963 decider versus Wests which gave us the famous image that adorns the current NRL trophy), and the Brisbane Broncos charging to a title from fifth place of 5 finalists in 1993 are but three such tales. But there is one legend which in this writers humble opinion stands out above the pack. That is the story of the 1955 South Sydney Rabbitohs.

By the beginning of the 1955 season, Souths had established themselves as the games most prolific powerhouse. With such names as Clive Churchill, Jack Rayner, Les “Chic” Cowie, Bernie Purcell, Col Donohoe, Ernie Hammerton, and Ian Moir, they had appeared in all the preceeding five finals, and had won four of them (losing 22-12 only to Wests in the 1952 decider). They had every reason to be supremely confident heading into the 1955 season. Things were about to take a turn for the worst, however. At the conclusion of round ten (out of eighteen rounds), Souths had won only 3 games to languish in second to last position! All seemed lost for the reigning premiers, who until then had been a mere shadow of their former selves. But just when the situation was looking untenable, the cardinal and myrtle juggernaut swung into action.

During the following eleven matches, Souths did not lose one game. After the first eight wins, Souths had squeaked into fifth place to make the finals. They went on to win the next three to take the premiership. Now, an eleven match winning streak (while respectable in itself) may not be an overly remarkable achievement, but the way this team won these games is arguably one of the most astounding feats in any one season of footy.

Not only were the last five of these eleven games won in the final 10 minutes, but they were also won with an injury toll that by all rights should have stopped the club dead in it’s tracks.

Round Sixteen, and Souths played Wests in a particularly bruising encounter. Centre Martin Gallagher badly injured his shoulder and failed to return for the second half. Despite this setback, Souths prevailed 28-17. The following week saw the Rabbitohs take on rivals Manly at Redfern. Only six minutes into the game, star fullback Clive Churchill attempted a tackle on Manly centre George Hugo. Churchill made an uncharacteristic error, and mistimed the tackle, snapping his wrist. Flatly refusing to leave the field, and with his arm hanging limply at his side, the “Little Master” played on. At the break, club medics tightly wrapped his arm in bandages, and fashioned a splint from the cover of an exercise book. One needle later, and Churchill was ready to go again. Souths trailed 7-4 with 5 minutes left on the clock when Les Cowie scored in the corner to level the scores. Churchill slotted the ball between the posts from the sideline with his arm still dangling, and the Rabbitohs won 9-7, but with Churchill now out of action, things were looking grim.

In the first semi-final (again playing Manly), halfback Col Donohoe was taken from the field five minutes into the second half after a severe hip injury. Six minutes later, the Rabbitohs were behind 10-5, and were down to twelve men. However, they levelled at 10 all, and again at 12 all before second rower Bernie Purcell secured a 14-12 victory with four minutes left on the clock.

The next week rolled around, and this time Souths faced fierce adversaries St. George. During the break in this mêlée, the Souths dressing room resembled a military field hospital, with black eyes, dislocated fingers, a dislocated shoulder, and several other signs of battle. But once again, the Rabbitohs held on, and with the boot of Purcell landing two late penalty goals, they triumphed 18-14 to go on to the Grand Final against Newtown the next week.

Despite missing all but two of their top squad, Souths defeated Newtown 12-11, thanks again to the boot of Purcell. The mother of all comebacks? Hell yes!

750 words according to my word processor :)

Moffo

Referee
bluebags_1a.gif

Moffo for the first time in '05/06!

The Summer Solace

As the warm weather takes a hold, the thoughts of the typical Australian turn to cricket, the beach and other such events that are unique to our great brown land. Gone is the glitter from the first week in October as the temperature heads north and the passions of the league fan turn south. Sure, we still have the tri-nations going on in Britain but at the end of the day, we won’t be seeing our club stars and chanting their names until well into the New Year.

Which poses quite a question. What does the average nospam49 do during the summer months? Are you someone who cracks out the old footy cards, pops in the replay of the 1989 Grand Final or even walks past a stadium just to get the feel of being near a footy ground? Make no mistake, the hallowed turf needs a break as well. When the last of the tackling bags leaves the ground for the year, the turf Gods have a good lie down.

I personally find the summer months quite frustrating. As much as I love watching Jerry Springer re-runs and the Australian team dominate whichever sad cricketing minnows make their way out onto our shores, I still feel a primal urge to don the club colours and walk around town proudly.

I did it the other week.

The weather was a tad on the cold side, so being the trooper that I am, I decided to bust out the bulldogs jacket and take it with me into the city. Naturally, I got my fair share of dirty looks. When you are a dogs fan, you grow to accept such responses. Anyways, I felt like I was in the middle of the footy season again. Wearing the club colours, getting looks from those who would dare to support another team, I felt happy. I love the tension between opposing fans, it makes me feel a part of something. It fulfils one of the most fundamental passions of life. One person pitted against another. Dare I say it, mate against mate. It’s the whole premise that Super League based their advertising campaign around in 1996….two tribes going to war.

Anyways, the sun soon came out and when I started to sweat bullets, I knew it was time to take it off and don the classic blue singlet.

That aside, what else is there to do? You can only ever have a true passion for one sport. Much like the affection of the opposite sex, despite what others may say, you can only truly desire one at a time. League is my nirvana, and as such, I struggle to get enthused about other sports to the same degree. I try. I go to A League Games. I head down to St Johns Park to see the local team trundle the arm over in lawn bowls. I try it all. Does it work? No.

I love the smell of freshly cut grass in autumn. I love the way the trees blow, I love the pure, unadulterated passion that is the first round of the year. I get giddy when I hear the teams announced for the first game. I ride every moment of the first week. I bang my head against a wall when Corey Hughes gets selected again, I scream in orgasmic raptures when I see that the world will get another chance to see the great man (SBW). I scream because I can.

Whatever it is that drives me, I feel it, at least in part, is the direct result of my passions being numbed so much during the summer months. Summer is all about heading down to the beaches, saying g’day to the ladies of the sand and grabbing a strawberry milkshake on the way home.

Winter is where I feel it. The power and the passion, as Mr Garrett might say. Peter also asked me once through song about how I can sleep when my bed is burning. I told him to shut up.

Live it, love it, don’t forget it. The ides of March are not long away. Until then, I look forward with baited breath to the next footy off-season scandal involving drunk second graders in Mozambique.

BBJF – Debut for the Bluebags

Grand Final 1999

Me, 3 mates, 4 Grand final tickets. The last Sunday in September rolls around & I’m ready to rock. Well sort of. I’d only got home at 4.30am. Was at a raging house party in Darlinghurst the night before. The joint was packed to the rafters. A thumping DJ churning out beats to the house all night, wall-to-wall glamours, it had everything. And by some quirk of the universe I had managed to pull one of the best on show!! The score of a lifetime!! After bragging about my conquests to the fellas over a dirty breakfast, on goes the No.11 jersey & were off to Homebush. My body was struggling but my spirit was unbreakable. Off to watch the Mighty Dragons!!

The train to Olympic Park was jam-packed with red & white fever. I was talking to complete strangers in-depth about how bad we felt that Coyney wasn’t playing, or the under-rated virtues of Chris Leikvoll. We all fed off each others enthusiasm and it was backslaps and chanting all-round. An awesome build-up full of passion that makes you realise how great it is to be a footy fan.

But I did hit a rough patch just short of Olympic Park station. The influx of trains & Homebush’s incapacity to deal with them all meant we stopped dead for about 15 minutes. Unlike the rest of the day – the sun was blazing and the heat inside the stationary carriage was unbearable. I’m doing it tough and last night’s events are catching up with me hand-over-fist. The spirit started to wobble. My mouth starts watering, and I continually swallow spit in nervous gulps. A few small coughs followed by a nasty burp (a tasty refluxed blend of rum & mexican pizza) signalled I was in serious trouble. A hearty spew in a hot, packed train would not go down well with the throng of punters around me. I needed air, and quickly. Unknown to my mates I make my way past the red & white sardines, scrambling for the door to the next carriage. It was a dizzy journey but finally I got outside between carriages. Off came my Jersey, then I sucked in big deep breathes, then out she came – a mighty heave, but effortlessly it was over in a flash. No-one else had even noticed. The perfect crime!

Sitting 5 rows from the back of Southern Stand the beers start again. We found ourselves watching a tribute to the long serving champions of league who retired this year. Including Ettingshausen, Harrogan, Newton. Newton?? Mitch Bloody Newton. The game will never be the same without that bitch Mitch. Footage of the Canterbury’s finest on the big screen was purely awe-inspiring, so much so we keep drinking.

7 beers down & 15 minutes to go my brave bladder just couldn’t go on. It was the most disgusting timing imaginable. With my team bearly hanging on to their grand final dream I made the mad dash, running down 2984 steps missing up to 3 at a time down to the vastly empty men’s convenience. It was hardly out the fly before it’s shooting used beer out at Mach 2. The stand above me starts rumbling and the crowds going up in a huge roar. I nervously think..

“Whats going on out there??”

I automatically think the worst and start getting religious, praying out-loud whilst pissing like Kingston Town. Standing at that urinal was the longest 35 seconds of my life. A quick but violent shake, back in the dacks and I’m off, continuously triple-jumping back up the stairs. I crash back in my seat. Round trip approx 90 seconds. That should be an Olympic sport.

The train leaves for home. I lived at Miranda and with no connecting train I wait for my lift for an agonising 40 minutes outside Sutherland station. Wet, drunk, depressed, I stood like a hobo in my No11, as every second car that went passed yelled out…

“MEEEELLLLLBOOOOUURRRNEEEE!!!!!!!!”

The big red V might as well have been a big red bullseye. Noble silence is all I can offer. Finally home, I rip the pre-recorded video out of my JVC and smash it with my trusty sledgehammer. A quick shower and straight to bed.

Oh Yeah, there was also a game of footy played, so what?

At least I scored the blonde in the red mini-skirt.

bluebags_1a.gif

HMS Cheesemaker accepts the off-load from BBJF and prepares to make yet another charge into the Covell Brigade defence.

Our Fine Footy in Their Fine City

I’m really looking forward to the 2007 season. Many reasons really. I think it’ll be great to see great young talents like Dean Young and Ben Creagh take their places as leaders of my beloved Saints. I keenly await double Friday night footy and the return of the Monday night game. An extra game of footy a week can’t hurt. But mostly, it is the return of a Gold Coast team – the Titans – that has me excited.

I think it’s great that Queensland will have three teams, including two in the South East. 16 teams makes so much more sense than 15. The Coast looks like a team that will have great appeal amongst the kids who are of course the next generation of rugby league fans. But best of all I think it finally cements rugby league’s position in the home territories.

Having done that, what’s next for rugby league? Are we, as fans, contented simply with holding dominion over New South Wales, Queensland and Auckland? I’d love to think that we can imagine an NRL sometime in the future that is just as national as the Australian Football League. So that’s why I was so pleased about the new assault into Melbourne announced by the NRL not so long ago. Although as we all remember it caused a bit of a stir amongst the anti-Melbourne crowd. Led by its chief cheerleader, Ray Hadley. What did they belly-ache about? Game three of the State of Origin 2006 going to Melbourne’s Telstra Dome.

Now to start, is the sacrifice of a State of Origin match a big loss? Sure. But surely that is a terminally short sighted approach. Can you imagine 43,000 people at Melbourne’s Telstra Dome cheering on as the Melbourne Storm played the Sydney Roosters? That is the prize that potentially awaits. A foothold in Victoria for football, our football. I’m sure at this stage you’re thinking something along the lines of “impossible”. But I just wonder what the AFL community thought 25 years ago before the Sydney Swans experiment was started. I’m sure they would have thought the same. But 43,512 fans at Sydney’s Olympic Stadium to watch the Sydney Swans play the Brisbane Lions is testament to what perseverance and effort in the name of expansion can do. Sydney-Brisbane is now one of the great rivalries of the AFL. A big interstate match up that brings out the passion and the fans. Those Origin matches we might lose here and there will be more than paid back in the long run.

Another argument about efforts for expansion is that it distracts from rugby league in the home states. Some people have advocated moving the Storm to the Gold Coast, freeing up the 16th spot for a Central Coast Bears outfit. A competition without the Storm might allow for a split in the Wests Tigers or St. George Illawarra joint ventures. Hell, we could have Newtown back! But we have to ask the question: how many teams from NSW-ACT would a National competition really have? We have 11 now. Can we really justify another? What provides more potential for the growth of our game and a sustainable future? Another team in New South Wales or a team in Australia’s second largest city and oft-described “sports capital”?

Melbourne is getting a great new ground and monetary support from the Victorian government. The Herald-Sun, Australia’s highest circulation newspaper, now covers the Melbourne Storm and the NRL. News Limited continues to support our game’s Melbourne experiment. Why give in now? We should be nurturing this investment in rugby league’s future.

We all know just how passionate the people of Melbourne are about their sport. The average attendance for an AFL match at the MCG and Telstra Dome this year was an astounding 38803. That is 3,531,066 fans through the turnstiles. Don’t we want a slice of that action?

That’s not to say Melbourne is the end of the road. I’d love to see a return of the Adelaide Rams and in time a team in Perth too. But we mustn’t pat ourselves on the back too much about the great success of our game in 2005 and the potential that awaits 2007. We should look forward to the day, let’s say a generation into the future, when a little investment in Melbourne pays off. Rugby League must never forget that fortune favours the bold.

Word count: 743 including title.

morri (cWo)

First Grade
no.5_luke covell puts a bell ringer on HMS C, jolts the ball loose and is away.
-----------------------------
Rugby League and Poker.

“Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today.” - James Dean

I am one who has been taken by this new poker craze that has struck not only our nation but various parts of the world. The above quote by James Dean I think simplifies both Rugby League and Poker. Whether it be Joey Johns or Luke Covell kicking a goal to win a game or it be Juan ‘The Master’ Nguyen going ‘all-in’ to take out the World Poker Tour, todays modern superstars believe in living their dreams.

Many of today’s professional poker players have been nicknamed to suit there playing style. Below I have named some of todays top Rugby League players, nicknamed them and outlined there position on a poker table.

Luke Covell - “The Owl” for a simple reason - he can read the play better than anybody else. His insistent focus on the ball as he places it on the kicking tee and kicks it between the sticks is also a feature the “The Owl” possesses.

I could see Luke Covell as a very dangerous poker player. One who relentlessly baffles his opposition. One who takes no opening for granted. One who seizes every opportunity that has come his way. A true champion.

Billy ‘the kid’ Slater – Not because the reference to the legendary outlaw William H Bonney, but because Billy burst onto as a fresh faced 19 year old. I remember Billy’s debut. I left ToyotaPark that day pondering of what this ‘kid’ would achieve in his illustrious career.

As a poker player I think Billy would be very hesitant. He would be one to keep his cards very close to his chest. One who would try so hard to keep his poker face but would easily be distracted. Much like a kid.

Andrew Johns – “The Professor” – It’s hard to argue that Andrew Johns is not the best player in the world. He posses Covell’s defence, El Maseri’s goal kicking, and his vision can be compared to no-one. He is the master of the modern era.

Andrew Johns would be the big lebowski of the poker table. His all-round talent would be recognised by all. He would strike fear into his opponent’s eyes. But would Joey be the man to beat?

Sonny Bill-Williams - ‘Jerry McGuire’ – I would name him Jerry McGuire because of the line in the famous movie “Show me the money”. It is a well known fact that Sonny Bill-Williams is making a hell of a lot of money playing rugby league (or rather watching from the sideline). Sonny possesses an amazing talent which doesn’t come by very often. Can this money be justified?

On the poker table I would expect Sonny Bill to loose out early. He would be the one to go ‘all-in’ on pocket 3’s. But could Sonny have the same impact on the poker table as he can on the rugby league field?

Jason Stevens – “Robin Hood” - Named so because he donates a lot of his time helping the less fortunate. Stevo is a very kind and generous guy. The Ken Stephen Medal was awarded to Jason Stevens this year, the year of his retirement. On the field he was seen as one of the games bad-boys but off it he was one of the true nice guys of league.

In a poker tournament I’d imagine we’d see ‘off the field’ Stevo. He would be the joker of the table. He would use this to his ability mind you, trying to break the focus of other players. We would see many a bluff from him.

Here are the Final standings:

5th - Jerry McGuire. I don’t think he’d have the fitness to last any longer.

4th - Robin Hood. I think the soft side in him would come out and the other players would just roll over him.

3rd place - The Kid. Stupid mistakes would cost The Kid any chance of the title. He is still a young gun. The future is his virtue.

Runner up – The Professor. He knows the game like the back of his hand. I just don’t think he’d have the determination to match The Owl.

The Winner - The Owl. Sheer determination would get The Owl the money on this one. It is evident in his eyes every time he takes the ball and tries to gain that extra meter or he is chasing down his opponents to save a try.
-------------------------------------------

750 words between the lines

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
bluebags_1a.gif

dodger takes the final pass and breaks through a feeble tackle from no.5_luke covell - and races away! Shut the gates, the Newtown #5 is in!
_________

The day it snapped.

Twenty-nine points to twenty-two. July twenty-second.

That's the last time I saw my club walk of the football field with two points under their belt. 'Dogs back at their premiership best and Busted Broncos, read the headlines. I remember the sheer joy that night. I had just walked out of my graduation ball – and when I was told we’d beaten Brisbane, my heart leapt. We were on our way to another title, or at least a shot at one. The Bulldogs were back in form in a big way - and looked set to cruise into the finals series for 2005.

So what went wrong? Will I just sit here for the next 600 words and blame the injury Gods? Will I vent my frustration as a fan in the lack of heart displayed in the 2 months following that victory over Brisbane?

Canterbury have always been a very proud club. Even through the scandals of the early 21st century that the club and its supporters continue to face on a daily basis, we still manage to find success when it seems most unlikely. Some clubs might have accepted a lull period after tumult akin to the past five seasons experienced at the Bulldogs – but we are a club that doesn’t lie down.

For some reason, after the team was victorious in Round 20, they went on a bender. Players who had represented at various levels from international to intrastate suffered season-ending injuries, and the players left simply didn’t put in 100% effort. Luke Patten, a Country representative; Hazem El Masri, a City winger; Brent Sherwin, a City halfback; Sonny Bill Williams, a New Zealand international superstar; Willie Tonga, an Australian and QLD star – this mob was all missing. Each of those players was fit and healthy on October 3rd, 2004.

But again, it was more than just injuries.

Once those players were sidelined – the effort levels from the entire playing roster left available seemed to deteriorate. The new boys coming in simply didn’t gel with the few premiership players left on the park, and as such, teams from 15th through to 1st ripped through us like a steak and kidney pie.

But it was more than just effort.

Four points to Fifty-six. August twelfth.

That was the day it snapped.

I remember the night vividly. I sat idly, waiting for the opportunity to watch one of my clubs most impervious rivalries – that being the battle royale that always is Canterbury versus Parramatta. Although the side had lost to the two bottom feeders in consecutive weeks, at home, I felt reasonably confident that we had Parramatta’s wood, especially given our against-the-odds victory over them earlier in the season.

The game began and we looked weak. Players missing, new boys filling voids. The score escalated slowly until a second-quarter flurry took Parramatta to 26-0 up at the halftime break. My heart sank. Teams had come back from such a score before – but alas I doubted highly it would happen this time. How right I was. As the second half continued on, so did the Jim Beam and Coke levels in my body. The Eels stormed on to a 50-0 lead before Cameron Phelps finally penetrated the Eels’ line.

The biggest question that I asked myself was what sparks such a turn-around? Defeating the minor-premiers-to-be of the time, rising steadily on the ladder, and even looking to make a case to stage a home semi-final if results went their way, and all of a sudden, nothing – what snapped? Almost 4 months on, I am still at a loss to answer. I would analyse, I would try to figure out what went wrong, I would – but I can not pain myself to watch those games again.

I mentioned earlier that, for the past seventy-one seasons, we have been a club that doesn’t lie down. The last time a team wearing the famous blue and white showed such disappointment was when they were yet to complete a season, and suffered 80+ point defeats. Then, whilst proudly remembering the 2004 triumph, it occurred to me. The pressure had mounted too much. With a heavy heart, I am forced to admit…

We did lie down.

711 words including title, according to Mr. F7's counter. ;-)

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
BBSF makes a great Scott Sattler cover tackle on Dodge. Its a Hand over.

The Unexplained Sacking

Once in a while a player emerges from the bleaches. A player with a dream, a belief, a will to win and something that makes them truly a one of a kind, a special athlete and human being.

The past is saturated with these once in a lifetime players. Remember back to April 17th 1993, when Andrew Johns ran out for Newcastle Knights for the very first time or on October 13th 1995, when Zimbabwe Crickets favourite son Craig Wishart first entered the test arena.

However this next story, is of heart wrenching levels and in a nutshell, a truly inspiring and emotional tale of a boy from Goondiwindi, who like Goran Ivanisevic - the unseeded Croatian qualifier took the world by storm in 2001 when he took out the Wimbledon tennis crown in one of sports truly vintage performances in five sets over our own Patrick Rafter. This next special athlete, is one of these people and tells the tale of what a hollywood drama is made up of.

And on what better day, than on November 9th, the man himselfs birthday to tell the story. No we are not talking about a Wimbledon champion, an Australian test cricket centurion or an Olympic gold medallist,but a wide running utility back,who now resides in the shire. His name is Covell, Luke Covell.

It was on this day, just 24 years ago that a boy entered this world, who would one day aim to live up to his famous last name which includes his father Bob, one of Goondiwindi’s best badminton players of the modern era, and his mother Shelley, a left handed big serving tennis phenomenon who took out many titles such as the Murwillumbah Masters and the Goondiwindi Open.

Now 24 years later, Luke has carried the tradition of the Covell name. A pure athlete in all that is brought upon him, he represented NSW at Running,Javelin and Table Tennis as a schoolboy, and Cricket appeared to be on the list too before he quit the game after his local side, the Goondiwindi Pandabears merged with rival club Waggamba Rhinos. Though his biggest achievements have been in the greatest game of all, Rugby League.

It is here where he has worn the first grade colours of two clubs, represented NSW, Country Origin and in one fateful night in October, his beloved New Zealand. It was on that night where Luke Covell stunned the world with his electrifying footwork, picture perfect goal kicking and stalwart defence. They say when the pressure is on, the real champions stand up. And here it was, on your test debut against the best country in the world, the game deadlocked at 0-0 after five minutes. And then the turning point in the game. A hero steps in. Luke Covell, the mouth of the south, gets the ball, in a spirited run down the touchline, showing the pace of a bear, beats four defenders, to break the deadlock and give New Zealand the 4-0 lead. From there,New Zealand take control on the back of Luke Covell magic, as he runs in a 16 point haul as the Kiwis provail 40-16.

But despite this, Luke Covell is spending his 24th birthday a distraught man, a lonely figure lurking in the shadows of the mean streets of Sydney’s South, wearing his New Zealand Jacket proudly. He sits their reminicising his New Zealand Heritage, when him and his Maori relatives would drive up to Mermaid Beach and play touch football on the hard sands of the Gold Coast. He remembers when he would pretend to be Stacey Jones, and score that game breaking try, which he only a few weeks ago, did himself. But why is he distraught? Because for reasons unexplained,and as arbitrary as Paul Gallen missing the Tri Nations Tour, Luke Covell……. was dropped.

No one will ever truly no why he was dropped. It was rumoured Covell approached Brian McClennan voicing his concerns, and the two had a drink and shared Armidale Jokes, but never was a conclusion reached. Some say it links back to a training incident, some say his haka lacked passion while some say McClennan just didn’t like his Goondiwindian accent.

And as Luke goes out for his daily training, kicking tee in his left hand, his hair glisterning in the hot summer days sun, wiping his chin with his muscularly bulged arms, he can only come home and wait for that call from the New Zealand selectors.

Waiting…

749 words to Microsoft Word

capttaincovell makes a line break.

The age of our times

“Get him off the field hes to old”

“Nail that grandpa”

“take him to the retirement home”

Words often muttered by coaches, fans and females of rugby league alike, but what are they referring to? One can be forgiven for thinking their advocating the latest batch of extra strength Viagra, but the reality is much different, much more cold blooded.

There talking about the players, players on the field.

After many sleepless nights stewing over these quotes and contemplating the delights of marginal revenue, I decided to undertake a secret investigation into this phenomenom. So late one night at 9pm I decided to put on my army uniform I bought at 'Dave’s scouts' at Maroubra and hopped out my window, a mission to uncover the truth. Expose the reality on what everyone’s wondering but are too scared to dare say out loud.

I headed down to the local kebab shop to ask people the nature of these quotes, and after many minutes a shady, yet wise character called Halem informed me of the startling truth.

He said, and I qoute:

'its simple, once a player gets to 27 he is considered an old man in the Rugby League world."

I was startled, flabbergasted. I had never been so mortified since Craig Wishart, the golden child of Zimbabwe Cricket, had only been offered a Grade 1 contract by the board.

Surely this could not be? I wondered. But alas, It was true. It all made sense.

Jim Serdaris,
Cliff Lyons,
Robbie O’Davis
and in more recent times ,
Lance Thompson and David ‘Apples’ Peachey.

All players at the peak of their game, denied, left out in the cold......., when they asked for a new contract with their respective teams. I decided to break it down , hip hop style.

What element of the game does a 30+ year old lack that a 20 year old has?

I analyzed the possibilities:

SPEED

Craig Field settle down, I am referring to running. Speed has always been the critical element to a footballers success, mainly to a backline player. I decided to study the sport that relies on speed above all else, track and field.

Linford Christie - best 100m time at age 21 ---- 10.31

Linford Christie - best time at age 41------- 10.23

What’s that? 41 years old and running international olympics at that age, an age that no rugby league player dares to play the game at? An elite athlete that is faster at 41 then 21. Could this be a one off? I decided to study further, I researched the line up of the current 200m international championships over the weekend. It read:

1) Frankie Fredericks (39)

2) Jon Drummond (34)

3) Tim Montgomery (27)

Sprinters winning world tournaments well into their 30s and 40s. Therefore, surely a players speed does not diminish once they hit 30.

Strength

Common knowledge says the body peaks in strength at 40-45.

Track and field test: Current World Discuss Champ, 37 years old.

Verdict: The older a player gets, the better chance of developing strength and muscle, needed for a game such as rugby league.

Brainpower

Although I can not put this to the track and field test, surely a player gains knowledge and intellect through experience, this has never been doubted. For example, Tim Smith in the semi final this year was unseen and outplayed by his older yet less talented opponent Brett Firman.

Verdict: Older=Smarter, Younger=Inexperienced.

Agility

Tell George Foreman an elite athlete can not be agile past age 31. He won a world title in the most specially agile sport of them all, boxing, in his late 40s, or Shawn Michaels- champion WWE wresler, aged in his 40s.

So there you have it, all things considered, why can a player not be at his best at say, age 37? Why is an injury proned kid like David Seage considered a brighter long term prospect than a sterling fit player in his 30s like Robbie O’Davis. Why can’t a 32 year old be signed to a 3-4 year deal if he’s good enough and fit enough?

Age shall not weary the 30 something player. But don’t take my word for it, take Jason Smith from Canberra, his brother Darren from Brisbane, the late Chicka Ferguson from Canberra and the World champion English Rugby Union team.

This has been the findings of a top secret investigation. Long live the NRL footballer’s career!

747 words

Timmah

Staff member
Well done Covellians, a good 5 v 5 contest.

Can't wait for the results.

Timmah

Staff member
Big_Bad_Shark_Fan said:
forum 7s was truely the real winner in this one

:lol:

Sure was mate ;-)

Well done all 'round.

Dragon_psa

First Grade
Thank you timekeeper, and good effort all round from all the players. It's going to be a close one.

Latest posts