What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QLD Team 2017

big hit!

Bench
No. They are seemingly the only people aware of Dane's defensive problems.

However, they are running short on choice atm.

i reckon they'll bring O'Neil back before they move Gagai into centre. Put some QLD boofhead on these forums there even. Just don't move one of their better consistent performers from the role he's been doing it for them.

slamminsam246

Juniors
The players aren't fans of DCE, he's supposedly not very popular and it shows in the games he played, virtually no support.
It is what it is.

That's a ridiculous statement and whats wrong with where Qld is headed. Apparently its a popularity contest now, not a reward for being the best player from your state. If, as you suggest, some players purposely showed less support for Dce during an origin because of their relationship with him, those players are the problem, not Cherry. Fact is, if Daly played for Broncs/Cows/Storm there wouldn't be all this speculation as to who should/will replace Thurston.

Last edited:

OldPanther

Coach
That's a ridiculous statement and whats wrong with where Qld is headed. Apparently its a popularity contest now, not a reward for being the best player from your state. If, as you suggest, some players purposely showed less support for Dce during an origin because of their relationship with him, those players are the problem, not Cherry. Fact is, if Daly played for Broncs/Cows/Storm there wouldn't be all this speculation as to who should/will replace Thurston.

I feel for the QLD fans. They're starting to see the nepotism we have with Pearce. I said before I'd be genuinely worried against Cronk/DCE even if we play well.

Shorty

Staff member
Were you 'genuinely worried' when he was completely ineffective when he actually played for Queensland?

OldPanther

Coach
Were you 'genuinely worried' when he was completely ineffective when he actually played for Queensland?

No because they tried to make him Cronk instead of playing his normal game. If he plays his natural style he's very good. I rate him highly.

slamminsam246

Juniors

Completely ineffective for 1 game, 3 YEARS ago, where Qld lost 6-4 in Sydney (he played on 1 leg). There were alot of disappointing perfomances that night but somehow only Dce got black listed forever. Scapegoatting at its finest.
I wouldnt be so pissed off if it wasnt so obviously bias when it comes to selections. Tossing Ben Hunts name out in 2017 as a candidate to replace Thurston is SICKENING. The guy is that much of a dud this year, he was dropped to Qld cup. Apparently still better than Norman and Dce in Walters eyes.
New coach and selecters please.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Completely ineffective for 1 game, 3 YEARS ago, where Qld lost 6-4 in Sydney (he played on 1 leg). There were alot of disappointing perfomances that night but somehow only Dce got black listed forever. Scapegoatting at its finest.
I wouldnt be so pissed off if it wasnt so obviously bias when it comes to selections. Tossing Ben Hunts name out in 2017 as a candidate to replace Thurston is SICKENING. The guy is that much of a dud this year, he was dropped to Qld cup. Apparently still better than Norman and Dce in Walters eyes.

Garbage.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/da...s/news-story/13528321491b6589c6f986bc74cfa2fb

DALY Cherry-Evans is well in the mix to replace injured Queensland champion Johnathan Thurston for the State of Origin decider, according to coach Kevin Walters.

Walters is on the search for a new five-eighth for game three after Thurston was last week ruled out for the rest of the NRL season after aggravating a shoulder injury in game two.

Cherry-Evans is among of host of well-credentialed candidates for the July 12 encounter, including Michael Morgan, Corey Norman, Moses Mbye and Ben Hunt.

However Walters admits Manly captain Cherry-Evans is in the hottest form of his career after leading the Sea Eagles to the top four for the first time in three seasons.

Walters also pointed to Cherry-Evans’ six previous Origin appearances between 2013-15.

“He’s obviously played Origin before so that’s a big bonus for him, and I think he’s in career-best form,” Walters said on Fox Sports’ NRL360 on Monday. “

“When he was picked for Queensland last time, I don’t think he was playing as well as what he is at the moment with the Manly side. He’s certainly in contention.

“Certainly all of his stats are pointing in the right direction. He’s having a great year for the Manly side, but we’ve got to make a decision ourselves once we get through the weekend.

“He’s one of those guys that we’re looking at. He’s in the mix, definitely.”

Walters also poured cold water on rumours Cherry-Evans is out of favour with senior players in the Maroons’ set up, which has kept him out of Origin contention in recent years.

“I hear that rumour often bob its head up. There’s nothing in it. If he’s not selected, that won’t be the reason, it’ll be something else,” Walters said.

slamminsam246

Juniors
Garbage.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/da...s/news-story/13528321491b6589c6f986bc74cfa2fb

DALY Cherry-Evans is well in the mix to replace injured Queensland champion Johnathan Thurston for the State of Origin decider, according to coach Kevin Walters.

Walters is on the search for a new five-eighth for game three after Thurston was last week ruled out for the rest of the NRL season after aggravating a shoulder injury in game two.

Cherry-Evans is among of host of well-credentialed candidates for the July 12 encounter, including Michael Morgan, Corey Norman, Moses Mbye and Ben Hunt.

However Walters admits Manly captain Cherry-Evans is in the hottest form of his career after leading the Sea Eagles to the top four for the first time in three seasons.

Walters also pointed to Cherry-Evans’ six previous Origin appearances between 2013-15.

“He’s obviously played Origin before so that’s a big bonus for him, and I think he’s in career-best form,” Walters said on Fox Sports’ NRL360 on Monday. “

“When he was picked for Queensland last time, I don’t think he was playing as well as what he is at the moment with the Manly side. He’s certainly in contention.

“Certainly all of his stats are pointing in the right direction. He’s having a great year for the Manly side, but we’ve got to make a decision ourselves once we get through the weekend.

“He’s one of those guys that we’re looking at. He’s in the mix, definitely.”

Walters also poured cold water on rumours Cherry-Evans is out of favour with senior players in the Maroons’ set up, which has kept him out of Origin contention in recent years.

“I hear that rumour often bob its head up. There’s nothing in it. If he’s not selected, that won’t be the reason, it’ll be something else,” Walters said.

What did i say that's garbage? You believe Ben Hunt should be in the conversation about Thurstons replacement!?

Desert Qlder

First Grade
What did i say that's garbage? You believe Ben Hunt should be in the conversation about Thurstons replacement!?

"somehow only Dce got black listed forever....so obviously bias when it comes to selections...Apparently still better than Norman and Dce in Walters eyes"

All garbage.

No because they tried to make him Cronk instead of playing his normal game. If he plays his natural style he's very good. I rate him highly.
I agree
He was terrible when thrown in to Cronks spot .
Yet in his first game when he came off the bench & let roam at will( Mals recipe for new halves/ utility in team) he was brilliant .
Mal did it with Cronk while Locky & JT were there .
He did it with Morgan
He did it with DCE .

Start Morgan at 6
DCE on bench .
Let him come on & roam

slamminsam246

Juniors
"somehow only Dce got black listed forever....so obviously bias when it comes to selections...Apparently still better than Norman and Dce in Walters eyes"

All garbage.

On 360 when asked about Thurstons replacement, Morgan, Munster and Ben Hunt were mentioned and discussed about. Dce definitely wasnt. Too hard for ya?

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
I agree
He was terrible when thrown in to Cronks spot .
Yet in his first game when he came off the bench & let roam at will( Mals recipe for new halves/ utility in team) he was brilliant .
Mal did it with Cronk while Locky & JT were there .
He did it with Morgan
He did it with DCE .

Start Morgan at 6
DCE on bench .
Let him come on & roam
That is crap. DCE isn't as roaming off the bench player. Start in in the halves or not at all.

Shorty

Staff member
I don't think Hunt will be chosen but I agree with you that DCE is in much better form.
However as I said it is clear he does not have the locker room and probably never will.
So do you choose a player that's in great form that doesn't have the locker room or do you choose one that fits in well?
Have you played team sport before?
It's so obvious, not sure why you're even so emotional about it, it's a blessing if your guy doesn't get chosen.

In any case regardless of form Munster and Morgan in the team seems the best option imo.

slamminsam246

Juniors

It is something you have made up in your head fella.

Lol. So, Ben Hunt getting spoken about for Origin and Dce not getting a mention has nothing to do with bias or politics?
As long as they dont select Hunt I'll get over it. If they do, Walters has cheapened the Maroons Jersey beyond a joke. Glasby was really bad, but thatd be disgusting.

big hit!

Bench

DCE had his own injury issues heading into the match. he didn't even take a rep at training leading into game 2 in 2014 and it showed as there was absolutely no familiarity with the rest of the team. hunt did most of the training as the right-side half and they should have just gone in with him. biggest error of the meninga/hagan reign.

in saying that, i don't know if they'd go with DCE anyway because he has exclusively defended on the right-side for his whole career like cronk. halves are generally the worst defenders in the line and moving them from their familiar side creates a bigger weakness. hunt is also a right-side defender. this will be a bit of a headache for Walters. that's why I'm leaning with them going with Munster in the halves. then the Walters' headache continues with who to put outside him.

Latest posts