What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Queensland Test Greats

T-Boon

Coach
One comment in the Aus v South Africa thread was that Queensland does not produce great cricketers "like it use to". But that got me thinking has Queensland ever been a production line of great Test players (like NSW)?

The only greats I can think of are Matt Hayden, Ian Healy and Mitchell Johnson...McDermott was a very good, not great. Border was born and bread NSW..... I am surely forgetting many from back in the annals but who?

JJ

Immortal
Personally I think McDermott was as good as Johnson

but yeah, the best Chappell, Border, Thomson all non-Queenslanders in reality

Carl Rackemann wasn't great, but a very good fast bowler. Kasper went ok too

Greg Ritchie? LOL

Going back a bit, Bill Brown, Bert Ironmonger, Don Tallon were all pretty good

But yeah, Hayden or Brown probably the pick, unless there's someone that played for another state?

Incorrect

Coach
If Holland had Test match status Peter Cantrell would have been a Test great for them....

EDIT - Ha! Just googled him, turns out he was born in NSW.... Even Qld's great Dutch players were from NSW!

WaznTheGreat

Referee
I just re-read the title,none of the players i mentioned were great test players lolzzzzz,thought people were just mentioning players from Queensland lol

Bazal

Post Whore
The comment was mine, and was aimed at QLD cricket in general, not just born and bred QLDers. They dominated the Shield and produced a lot of very good cricketers for both Test and ODI sides.

Now they're absolutely hopeless. people were slanging on Victoria but apart from Shane Warne they were never really home of any truly top level players in recent ish years. QLD were, now Jason Floros is their captain ffs

T-Boon

Coach
Now they're absolutely hopeless. people were slanging on Victoria but apart from Shane Warne they were never really home of any truly top level players in recent ish years. QLD were, now Jason Floros is their captain ffs

The team does look bad. I thought it was a terrible sign that James Hopes was opening their bowling up until at least last year - he must have been 38. Maybe he has retired now.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Personally I think McDermott was as good as Johnson

but yeah, the best Chappell, Border, Thomson all non-Queenslanders in reality

Carl Rackemann wasn't great, but a very good fast bowler. Kasper went ok too

Greg Ritchie? LOL

Going back a bit, Bill Brown, Bert Ironmonger, Don Tallon were all pretty good

But yeah, Hayden or Brown probably the pick, unless there's someone that played for another state?
Bill Brown was originally from NSW I think.