Queenslanders never forgot NSW arrogance

Discussion in 'State of Origin and other State Leagues' started by Legends of Sport, May 29, 2017.

1. beave

beave Coach

Mundine didn't get picked because he was a shit merkin.

End of story.

Munted likes this.
  2. simmo05

simmo05 Juniors

Hence the 'perceived racism' part of the post. It doesnt matter what mundine or blacklock thought, how is it 2 born and bred nswelshmen played for the maroons?

3. myrrh ken

myrrh ken Juniors

4. Pedge1971

Pedge1971 Juniors

Did the same to Cathy Freeman ffs. Bloke is an a-grade turd of a human being...

And given that Beetson was a former Qld coach and head of selectors, coukd it not be claimed they had the same "Uncle Tom" problem as it was alleged NSW had?

No fan of Daley as a coach but to claim that he is anything but a proud indigenous fella is a disgrace. He was also a winner on the field unlike Anthony.

5. Frank_Grimes

Frank_Grimes First Grade

Who was the other one?

6. simmo05

simmo05 Juniors

7. Big Pete

Big Pete Referee

I don't think the NSW selectors were racist, but a couple of their players were hard done by like Peachey, Blacklock and Campbell. I know in retrospect fans like to pretend the NSW selectors had it right all along with Merritt but they conveniently forget he was picked at the tail end of his career. When he was upset with the selectors it was because he couldn't even get a look into the City side over the likes of Simmons, Rooney (twice and he was well past it on both occasions), El Masri and Champion (with Jennings being pushed to the wing) before he finally got his shot in 2011.

It wasn't racism, just a lot of hard luck stories and some poor selection policies along the way.

8. King hit

King hit Juniors

Blacklock could've played if he wasn't a total turnstile. I remember Wendell humiliating him a couple of times. Peachey was unlucky to be in the era of Brasher, he probably should've played in 1999 but Ross was good in that series. And then he ran into Mini and Hodgson. Campbell was very hard done by but that was due to the selectors reluctance to pick smaller players.

Merritt's origin game is one of the worst I've ever seen but I never rated him that much and thought he would get shown up.

9. Big Pete

Big Pete Referee

All valid points @King hit, but you could make criticisms against the alternatives NSW went with. Was Jason Moodie and Matt Gidley great defensive players? Campbell may have been too small, but what did Hornby offer as a utility? And you're telling me that Merritt was the only player who was exposed down that edge against GI and Boyd? Again, it wasn't the Origin snub that bothered Merritt, it was the snub from City vs Country.

I think there were some poor selections along the way, but it wasn't because of racism. It was because of agendas and compromises, especially in the mid to late 00s.

10. myrrh ken

myrrh ken Juniors

Also Mark Hughes, a centre, was preferred to Peachey as FB. Then Hodgson.

11. Still Nutty

Still Nutty Juniors

'Arguably' right...stepping away from the BS racism card, I've gotta go Bert every day of the week and twice on Sundays - but I'd happily have Loz as 2nd best;)

12. Big Pete

Big Pete Referee

In fairness to Hughes, Peachey missed Games 1 & 2 via injury and only had two games under his belt before the team was picked for the decider. Hodgson could have gone either way but after Brett's debut it's hard to fault the selectors, he was amazing that evening.

13. Desert Qlder

Desert Qlder First Grade

The aboriginal bloke most stiffed by NSW selectors was Lyons. Should have been five-eighth 88-91 no question.

simmo05 likes this.
  14. Frank_Grimes

Frank_Grimes First Grade

You do know that under the rules Folau was a completely legal selection right?

Played his first senior footy in QLD.

15. isaiah

isaiah Bench

Back to the arrogance, did anyone miss Gus B4 the game- stop the dynasty and start a dynasty of our own. Please wait until winning 2 series in a row B4 using the d word.

16. simmo05

simmo05 Juniors

Yeah i am not debating that, but i was just questioning why 2 genuine blues, would turn their backs on their state? The racism excuse got poo pooed, so just curious what else there could be. Maybe should i ask that sims idiot!

17. Big Pete

Big Pete Referee

With Inglis and Folau, it had a lot to do with their connection to Melbourne. A lot of their juniors came through the Queensland junior league system and they were encouraged to represent the Maroons. As much as we'd like to think otherwise, sometimes the players don't care about who they represent, they just want to play Origin.

Of course one of the selling points for Inglis was the Indigenous culture of the Maroons side with Beetson, Meninga, Tallis, Shearer so on and so forth. Having that strong cultural identity made it easier for him to reconcile that Queensland was his team and Inglis seems extremely proud of his Indigenous heritage.

18. Canard

Canard Coach

Anyone catch the dressing room footage at half time of Grub high fiving all his teammates like they'd won.

Reminded me of Johns in the 2000 semis big noting himself at halftime only to go and choke in the 2nd half

19. Frank_Grimes

Frank_Grimes First Grade

Willie Mason in the 2006 GF Qualifier...

20. carcharias

carcharias Immortal

Inglis is obviously a dumb merkin then.
    He is, was and always will be from NSW.
    Black , blue or freaking 3 shades of apricot pastel

Times have changed
    Bird
    Graham
    Fifita
    Ferguson
    Peats
    Daley

All indigenous
    All have a keen sense of direction too it would appear.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017