What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions about this competition

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I havent really looked into this competition much, but I have heard it will replace the Premier League next year. but:

Will these games be before the first grade, equivilant to the PL?

Also what happens to players who get dropped from first grade?

Eg. Justin Tsolous (24) from Parramatta gets dropped from first grade, where does he play.

I know with Brisbane, NQld and Gold Coast, they get dropped to QLD Cup, but what happens with NSW teams?

Also will the Jim Beam Cup still be televised as it normally is on Fox Sports?

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
Tsolous would play PL for either Toongabbie, Guildford or Wenty or whatever other team team Parra decides to align itself to.

PARRA_FAN said:
Will these games be before the first grade, equivilant to the PL?

Toyota Cup games will be the curtain raisers to all NRL games.

PARRA_FAN said:
Also what happens to players who get dropped from first grade?

They will play in their club's affiliated team in the new/evolved NSWRL competition that will replace the Premier League in 2008.

PARRA_FAN said:
Also will the Jim Beam Cup still be televised as it normally is on Fox Sports?

I don't recall coming across any information one way or the other on this issue.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
so what you're saying is, players will be dropped to Jim Beam cup or PL whatever its gonna be called next year.

And teams like Newcastle, Canberra, Roosters, Souths, Cronulla, who currently dont have JB cup sides, will introduce new teams.

sounds like a good idea, if that was to happen, however I like to see it played before NRL games, like the PL and Jersey Flegg.

The new competition is not the Jim Beam Cup. The Jim Beam Cup will remain as the Jim Beam Cup. This new competition is in addition to the Jim Beam Cup and will replace the Premier League. It will function basically the same as the Premier League in terms of being a reserves competition for the NRL.

However, the NSWRL is selling the new competition as more separate to the NRL than it has been in the past. This seems to include most (or all) teams not being carbon copies of NRL teams and most (or all) games played seperate to NRL/Toyota cup fixtures.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
and games being taken back to traditional suburban grounds, this is the way to go IMO. This way the new PL will be more like the QLD cup

NK Arsenal

Juniors
A question - what if an U20s player has already played first grade (eg Jarryd Hayne)? Can they play in the Toyota Cup?

Swamprat

Juniors
novacastrian_panther said:
A question - what if an U20s player has already played first grade (eg Jarryd Hayne)? Can they play in the Toyota Cup?

And also what effect does a players salary have on the U/20s salary cap?
I guess that players like Hayne,Lawrence, Folau, Pierce to name a few would all be on decent coin, if that is taken into consideration on a 350k salary cap there aint gonna be much left over for the rest of the sqaud.

Goldthorpe

Bench
Which Jim Beam Cup/Queensland Cup teams will be affiliated with the NRL teams?

NRL - Toyota Cup - Jim Beam Cup
Brisbane Broncos - Brisbane Broncos Under 20's - ?
Canterbury Bulldogs - Canterbury Bulldogs Under 20's - ?
North Queensland Cowboys - North Queensland Cowboys Under 20's - ?
St George Illawarra Dragons - St George Illawarra Dragons Under 20's - ?
Parramatta Eels - Parramatta Eels Under 20's - ?
Newcastle Knights - Newcastle Knights Under 20's - ?
Penrith Panthers - Penrith Panthers Under 20's - ?
South Sydney Rabbitohs - South Sydney Rabbitohs Under 20's - ?
Canberra Raiders - Canberra Raiders Under 20's - ?
Sydney Roosters - Sydney Roosters Under 20's - ?
Manly Warringah Sea Eagles - Manly Warringah Sea Eagles Under 20's - ?
Cronulla Sharks - Cronulla Sharks Under 20's - ?
Melbourne Storm - Melbourne Storm Under 20's - ?
Wests Tigers - Wests Tigers Under 20's - ?
Gold Coast Titans - Gold Coast Titans Under 20's - ?
New Zealand Warriors - New Zealand Warriors Under 20's - ?

Madcat said:
Which Jim Beam Cup/Queensland Cup teams will be affiliated with the NRL teams?

Jim Beam Cup will not be the main open age feeder competition in NSW. That will be a new competition that will replace the Premier League. The Jim Beam Cup will remain and will continue in the same form as it does now.

Kingytek

Juniors
novacastrian_panther said:

What my question is...
Lets say there is an 18yr old (or 17 yr old) in the nrl this year and he plays quite well, and makes a name for himself. In 2008 he will be 19... Will he 'be made' to play in the Toyota Cup?

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
MadCat, your off the mark, ffs.

firstly, there is not JB cup in QLD. These are the levels that will exist.

FG - NRL
U20s - Toyota
Reserve Grade - NSWRL PL & QLD Cup
Semi-Pro - JB cup etc.

Goldthorpe

Bench
Mr. Fahrenheit said:
MadCat, your off the mark, ffs.

firstly, there is not JB cup in QLD. These are the levels that will exist.

FG - NRL
U20s - Toyota
Reserve Grade - NSWRL PL & QLD Cup
Semi-Pro - JB cup etc.
Dickhead I only asked the question, I didn't claim to know anything about next years set up. No need to go ape sh!t about it.

I know there isn’t Jim Beam Cup (I should have said Jim Beam Cup/Queensland Cup) in Queensland.

I thought that Jim Beam/Queensland Cup overtook Reserve Grade but as you pointed out it looks like they will play in their separate comps.

Cheers for clearing it up.

What teams will compete in each competition? And what teams are feeder clubs for the NRL teams?

NRL (16 teams)
Brisbane Broncos, Canterbury Bulldogs, North Queensland Cowboys, St George Illawarra Dragons, Parramatta Eels, Newcastle Knights, Penrith Panthers, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Canberra Raiders, Sydney Roosters, Manly Warringah Sea Eagles, Cronulla Sharks, Melbourne Storm, Wests Tigers, Gold Coast Titans and New Zealand Warriors

Toyota Cup (16 teams)
Brisbane Broncos, Canterbury Bulldogs, North Queensland Cowboys, St George Illawarra Dragons, Parramatta Eels, Newcastle Knights, Penrith Panthers, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Canberra Raiders, Sydney Roosters, Manly Warringah Sea Eagles, Cronulla Sharks, Melbourne Storm, Wests Tigers, Gold Coast Titans and New Zealand Warriors

NSWRL (13 teams)
Auckland Lions (New Zealand Warriors), Balmain-Ryde Eastwood (Wests Tigers), Canberra Raiders, Canterbury Bulldogs, Cronulla Sharks, Manly Warringah Sea Eagles, Newcastle Knights, Newton Jets (Sydney Roosters), North Sydney Bears (South Sydney Rabbitohs), Parramatta Eels, Penrith Panthers, St George Illawarra Dragons and Western Suburbs Magpies (Wests Tigers)

Queensland Cup (11 teams)
Aspley Broncos (Brisbane Broncos), Burleigh Bears, Central Comets, Easts Tigers, Ipswich Jets, North Qld Young Guns (North Queensland Cowboys), Norths Devils (Melbourne Storm), Redcliffe Dolphins, Souths Logan Magpies (Canberra Raiders), Tweed Heads (Gold Coast Titans) and Wynnum Manly Seagulls

Jim Beam Cup (13 teams)
Asquith Magpies, Belrose Eagles, Cabramatta Two-Blues, Chester Hill Rhinos, Erina Eagles, Mt Pritchard Mounties, Seven Hills Demons, Shellharbour City Marlins, Sydney Bulls, The Entrance Tigers, WA Reds, Wentworthville Magpies and Windsor Wolves

Cheers

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
And the feeder teams are up to the clubs, no one has announced anything yet. I know that parra will most likely align itself with the Demons and there will be a Seven Hills Demons in the PL instead of Parra Eels.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Mr. Fahrenheit said:
And the feeder teams are up to the clubs, no one has announced anything yet. I know that parra will most likely align itself with the Demons and there will be a Seven Hills Demons in the PL instead of Parra Eels.

Seven Hills are out of the running, Mount Pritchard are the most likely club to get the nod with Wentworthville being the dark horse.

Kingytek

Juniors
Kingytek said:
What my question is...
Lets say there is an 18yr old (or 17 yr old) in the nrl this year and he plays quite well, and makes a name for himself. In 2008 he will be 19... Will he 'be made' to play in the Toyota Cup?

Is this something that is unclear to all at the moment?

girvie

Staff member
Kingytek said:
What my question is...
They can still play NRL or Premier League/Qld Cup if they are Under 20.

Stagger eel

Staff member
girvie said:
They can still play NRL or Premier League/Qld Cup if they are Under 20.

what I want to know is, would be considered a reward and a privlidge for a kid like Kris Keating to plays for Mount Pritchard in the Premier league/NSW cup on a chilli saturday afternoon in a suburbon park in while his teammates are playing as a curtain raiser for firstgrade on Olympic Park in Melbourne? because as it turns out, he's just too good for the under 20's comp.

it's a strange situation.