What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions about this competition

Stagger eel

Staff member
..and to add there's a big chance that his team mates are probably going to get televised on fox, while he'd be lucky to get a mention as try scorer in the sunday papers sports page.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Well, once you get put in that situation, it should be a wake up call to pull the finger out if you want to have a NRL career really.

Kingytek

Juniors
sorry, i thought the one of the points of this comp was to "make" the under 20's play in this competition because their bodies need the chance to mature and develop against other kids their own age, not with the likes of petro, mason, price etc running at you and sitting you on your arse and doing whatever damage that has hampered the likes of SBW and Benji etc...

girvie

Staff member
eelavation said:
what I want to know is, would be considered a reward and a privlidge for a kid like Kris Keating to plays for Mount Pritchard in the Premier league/NSW cup on a chilli saturday afternoon in a suburbon park in while his teammates are playing as a curtain raiser for firstgrade on Olympic Park in Melbourne? because as it turns out, he's just too good for the under 20's comp.

it's a strange situation.
It is strange and that is why i think the comp doesn't work well.

I think it will still happen though.

Early this year i read an interview with Blake Green and he was saying how much he benefited from playing the previous season in Premier League and how he learnt a lot from the players around him. And i think that is the case with every player who moves up. They learn a lot more so they will be keen for that opportunity to play Premier League because it is a step towards their main goal of playing NRL.

eelavation said:
what I want to know is, would be considered a reward and a privlidge for a kid like Kris Keating to plays for Mount Pritchard in the Premier league/NSW cup on a chilli saturday afternoon in a suburbon park in while his teammates are playing as a curtain raiser for firstgrade on Olympic Park in Melbourne? because as it turns out, he's just too good for the under 20's comp.

Well, if a 19 year old thinks playing PL is a lesser honour than playing Toyota Cup then he has been poorly informed and poorly coached.

It's up to the Coach to explain that it's a promotion and that he'll have to prove himself in that arena before making it into Firsts.

Jim Beam Cup is televised but PL isn't... Back when the Jets had both sides I doubt too many Jets players were foolish enough to think playing JBC was better than being in PL just because they might get on the telly.

it's a strange situation.

It only seems strange because the RL public and authorities have undervalued our 2nd teir competition. Hopefully the reforms for next year that will turn it into a more stand-alone competition (distinct product from the NRL) that will give it a chance to gain a higher profile.

The Observer

Staff member
cumberlandsashes81 said:
It only seems strange because the RL public and authorities have undervalued our 2nd teir competition. Hopefully the reforms for next year that will turn it into a more stand-alone competition (distinct product from the NRL) that will give it a chance to gain a higher profile.

What is sad is that a traditional competition that has been running for 100 years, the NSWRL, seems to have been scrapped so that some Sydney clubs can save money on fielding feeder teams. The NSWRL provided the perfect stepping stone between juniors and NRL.

Now the step up to NRL will be more difficult. Many Sydney clubs will adopt new feeder teams from JBC, and they won't provide the same quality of coaching.

If anything, I'd prefer that the Toyota Cup be limited to a 15 round comp with 2 rounds of finals. Under 20s shouldn't be overplayed early in their careers anyway, many of them would still be growing and developing their frames, and this would manage their fitness and ensure they don't get injured or burned out.

If the 1008 NSWRL Premier League is a 14 team comp it should be kept with the traditional lineup of teams, running for 20 rounds. So teams play the others once at home, half the teams away, with 2 rounds of finals.

If Under 20s needed a game after after the shorter Toyota Cup, they could get a few rounds in PL.

eels_fan_01

Bench
Everything ive heard is that there is no premier league next year and players will go into local teams like Wenworthville etc.

innsaneink

Referee
eels_fan_01 said:
Everything ive heard is that there is no premier league next year and players will go into local teams like Wenworthville etc.

No, wrong....most PL or whatever it will be called wont be played the same day as U20s or NRL, though on the odd occasion it will be the first game , then Toyotta cup, then NRL

Stagger eel

Staff member
The Observer said:
Now the step up to NRL will be more difficult. Many Sydney clubs will adopt new feeder teams from JBC, and they won't provide the same quality of coaching.

just on that, Our Premiership winning coach Rip Taylor will take over the reigns at Wentworthville, so they'll basically get the same guidence as this year..also the Parramatta contracted players will be still training with the NRL club uintil later in the work before they change camps.