What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quick tap

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Bj Leilua cannot get the rule though his thick baby like head. Its amazing how good a player he is when he doesnt seem to know the rules of the game.

Every offside penalty he will be up there trying to take a quick tap, he will miss the mark by metres, he will try and take quick taps in the opposition ten.

I love the guy but how he fails to comprehend such a simple rule boggles my mind.

LineBall

Juniors
Didn't watch last nights match so can't comment on whatever happened. Generally though I think it is one of the areas they get right consistently. The biggest problem is people not knowing when they can and can't take a quick tap

I agree. The problem is a lot of the players are thick. You can't take a quick tap for a side being within the 10 metres (offside) or if they penalty is given within 10 metres of the tryline. It's not hard.

davi

Juniors
The problem though is people on this forum say 'you must be on the mark' and 'you can't take them when a penalty is given for the opposition are inside the 10'. But this doesn't take away the fact that the quick tap was more frequent used in the 80's till probably the mid-90's and even earlier. Either the rule was not in place back then or the refs gave a bit more leeway to the players when they did a quick-tap unless they were way over the marked when they tapped.

moffla

Bench
Referees don't normally allow quick taps because they're simply too scared to let them go. The controversy surrounding the awarding of a try in that situation is far greater than disallowing them so they choose the easier option.

Referees don't normally allow quick taps because they're simply too scared to let them go.

I think you just don't know the rules. I haven't seen an example this season where a quick tap was attempted and was incorrectly denied, remembering that they can't be taken when a team is within 10m of their tryline, all attacking players are onside and the penalty isn't for offside.

Knight76

Juniors
How about a tweak to the ruling here where if a penalty is given, the ref gives the mark promptly, and if the attacking player is behind this mark at any point on the field they can take the quick tap, except for within the 10 metres.

It would sure stop players charging the ref with their whining when a penalty is given. They would be too busy charging back to the defensive line.

That quick tap in the Knights game I can accept, but the corresponding call where we were denied was rubbish. The penalty was given at the play the ball, the mark clearly was exactly where the player was standing, yet it was called back. In the video above against the dragons, the ref still had his arm in the air and clearly had not given the mark, yet it was allowed to continue.

In the saints case, the ref was jut as shocked as the dragons, but the player had put it down and was busily celebrating so the ref awarded it.

Inconsistent.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I like how players need to be on the mark when they take a quick tap but when they kick for the sideline they can be 5 metres over the mark.

BennyV

Referee
If the dumb f**ks who are currently disgracing the Dragons jersey spent more time focussing on football and less time shooting dumbf**k looks at the ref for an obvious penalty, then this wouldn't be a thread. FTR, from a Dragons fan, that's a fair try.

To his credit, St George coach Paul McGregor never brought it up or complained about it at his press conference after the game.

merkin was too concerned with shuffling through his excuses and reminding everyone that we stumbled into the 8 last year, probably didn't even notice. Besides, it's only tries from kicks that don't count, tries from penalties are fine.

God, that f**kwit infuriates me.

All the clubs know when quick taps can be taken. The NRL sent out the Referees Guidelines document to all clubs, Heck it is available on the internet at - http://www.nrl.com/portals/nrl/RadE...s Interpretations_A4_Brochure_FA_2_Proof.pdf

It quite clearly states on page 11 -
A quick penalty restart is permitted on any infringement against the team not in possession except:

1. 10 metre penalties
  2. Within 10 metres of the opposition goal line
  3. Penalties resulting from kicks in general play
  4. Where the Referee is required to take any further action
  5. Where the mark has been advanced.
The Referee will give the team the ‘mark’ and all players from the team awarded the penalty must be onside.

Hope that helps.

myrrh ken

First Grade
I don't blame the players for being confused then.

What is 3?

And does 4 mean things like stopping play or putting on report or just sin bin/ send offs?

I don't blame the players for being confused then.

What is 3?

And does 4 mean things like stopping play or putting on report or just sin bin/ send offs?

In relation to 3. Easy. An example, a halfback puts in a clearing kick on the last tackle, and he is then tackled late which results in a penalty.

4 can mean a player having to be sin binned, sent off, put on report to name a few where further action is required.

Apey

Staff member
I think the inconsistency comes from when the referee gives the mark. That's pretty much the difference between whether it turns out to be a quick tap or a regular one. Unless I'm mistaking what being given the mark means, I didn't even see a mark being given in the Eels try? He was off while the penalty was still being blown, lol.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So looking at that list pretty much no quick taps! Most foul play penalties bring a talking to, refs consistently allow capts to discuss the decision, most penalties are offside or kick related. Seems the only quick tap you can take is when there is lying on or stripping the ball and only then if the ref has actually got his ar5e into gear and given the mark promptly.

simmo1

First Grade
Should be allowed to quick tap even without being given the mark for intentional slow down penalties.

Latest posts