What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R 1 V The Dragons

Kilkenny

Coach
We were great in the nines, really solid in the both trials. This worries me based on recent history. I know different coaches, different teams but when we have been impressive in pre season we have come out season proper and dogged it. I don't think it will happen this time as clearly this is our best squad for some years. I think we will get the two points but I suspect it will be a close, hard fought contest with not much in it in the end. The soggy conditions favour the playing style of the Dragons more than it favours us.

Exsilium

First Grade
Would have preferred it if Moylan wasn't honing his trade behind the camera of the footy show.

age.s

First Grade
A bit worried about the start of our sets. Josh and Dallin do so much work for us there, not sure how Hiku and Whare will go there.

Really need to win this. I've been talking a big game to my Dragons friend this week.

betcats

Referee
That's probably a 3rd party deal so if it helps us keep him then I'm all for it. Didn't seem to hurt him last year.

mxlegend99

Referee
Mick Ennis was on NRL360 all last year. Didnt hurt him.

Moylan being in the media is good for the club.

SBD82

Coach
Just had a look at the Dragons thread myself. Gees they hate Mcgregor don't they. One thread there calling for his sacking stretches to 99 pages. Even in the Team thread half the post are bagging him out.
Reminds me of us in the Matt Elliot days :)
We can trade you Mary for Hook if you like?

Your team would be awful, but you could be assured that your LU traffic would increase tenfold.

Your team would be awful, but you could be assured that your LU traffic would increase tenfold.

29169822.jpg

TheFrog

Coach
Wasn't Hook a free agent at the end of 2014 when McGregor was extended? Of course he was. So either the Dragons didn't rate Griffin or they couldn't afford him. Possibly both.

SBD82

Coach
Wasn't Hook a free agent at the end of 2014 when McGregor was extended? Of course he was. So either the Dragons didn't rate Griffin or they couldn't afford him. Possibly both.
Regardless of whether we could have afforded him, no way our club would have the insight to recognise his talent.

betcats

Referee
I know how bad he is, but...

The answer is Elliot. And it's not a tough decision.

He moved Adrian purtell off the wing and started him i the backrow for our first final game in years! He used to make players pair up and stare deeply into each other's eyes right before running out to play! Elliot was a space cadet, not a bad rl thinker but he could not coach and we played a very boring style of attack similar to you guys now. Atleast I can laugh bout it now unlike you poor blokes with Mary still there.

Panthers Anthony Griffin has confirmed his 19 man squad with Mitch Rein & Sione Katoa dropping out of 21 man squad named on Tuesday.

Also Akauola a chance to come in for Browne. We shall wait and see if that happens.

SBD82

Coach
He moved Adrian purtell off the wing and started him i the backrow for our first final game in years! He used to make players pair up and stare deeply into each other's eyes right before running out to play! Elliot was a space cadet, not a bad rl thinker but he could not coach and we played a very boring style of attack similar to you guys now. Atleast I can laugh bout it now unlike you poor blokes with Mary still there.
Ha. That's pretty bad, I didn't know about purtell. Mary had his own purtell moment when he played Jack De Belin at halfback against the broncos.

The main reason I would pick Elliot over Mary is that there were players that improved while playing under Elliot. I can't think of a single player that has done so under Mary.

age.s

First Grade
The main reason I would pick Elliot over Mary is that there were players that improved while playing under Elliot. I can't think of a single player that has done so under Mary.

I'm struggling to think of any standouts tbh.

Gordon turned into a world class fullback but Elliott played him on the wing. Kids like Graham and Coote were ok I guess but turned into far better players after they left. Our best players were good long before Elliott showed up and dudes like Burns and Walsh pretty much did the exact same job on day 1 as they did when he left. I guess you could say Simmo got a fair bit better during those years but there weren't that many.

murraymob

Coach
not sure what condition the dragons ground is like .Penrith ground could handle the rain and still be great. Penrith need to move the ball around. That is our advantage. Being first game at the ground this year it should be in top condition

TheFrog

Coach
I know how bad he is, but...

The answer is Elliot. And it's not a tough decision.
Personally, I'd take Mary. Elliott looks like he knows a thing or two on his little whiteboard segment, but he took this club to the spoon in his first year. And put Purtell in the second row in a final.