What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R.I.P Graeme Langlands

getsmarty

Immortal
Rugby League Immortal Graeme Langlands dies after long period of ill health
Phil Rothfield, The Daily Telegraph
28 minutes ago
RUGBY League immortal Graeme “Changa” Langlands has passed away in his Sutherland Shire nursing home.

The Kangaroos and St George Dragons superstar had been battling ill heath for several months amid allegations of indecent treatment of a girl under 16 over 30 years ago.

Shocked family and friends were informed of Langland’s passing on Sunday morning.

Langlands, who played 45 games for Australia and 227 for St George, was regarded as one of the all-time greats of the game.

He was 76-years-old.

Lawyers acting for Langlands recently told a Brisbane court he was suffering from dementia and alzheimers and could not defend an allegation from the 1980s.

Detectives in New South Wales charged Langlands with six counts of indecent treatment of a girl under 16 in October on behalf of Queensland Police’s Child Abuse and Sexual Crimes Group.

The crimes allegedly took place on the Gold Coast in the 1980s, when Langlands ran a juice bar.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...h/news-story/da4798c26cedb168c7777a1eb63b3eea

getsmarty

Immortal
54713_39_1.jpg

NRL NEWS

Graeme 'Changa' Langlands dies at 76
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Sun 21 Jan 2018, 10:55 AM

St George Dragons great and rugby league Immortal Graeme Langlands has died in his Sutherland Shire nursing home, aged 76.

The former Kangaroos captain played 45 games for Australia and was a key part of the Dragons' dominant team of the mid-1960s.

Langlands won his first premiership with St George in 1963, playing fullback, and starred for Australia in that year's Kangaroos tour at centre alongside Reg Gasnier. He won further premierships with the club in 1964, 1965 and 1966.

He captained the Dragons from 1970 to 1976, and led Australia from 1970 to 1975.

Langlands was named rugby league's fifth "Immortal" in 1999, with Wally Lewis named the sixth at the time.

In recent months Langlands had battled dementia and alzheimers and was unable face court on charges of indecent dealing with a girl under 16 over allegations stemming back to the 1980s.

Very sad to hear of the passing of the great Graeme Langlands. He spent many hours with me in W'gong as a 19yr old mentoring me as a fullback. RIP Chang, gone but never forgotten. pic.twitter.com/wMUWQPuf9E

— Garry Jack (@jimmyjack244) January 20, 2018
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/01/21/graeme-changa-langlands-dies-at-76/

Dragons4me

Juniors
One of the greatest......no, probably the greatest player I've ever seen play the game. That he played for my Dragons made him No 1 in my view. Still have a small pair of boots that he autographed for me 20 years ago. I'm actually speechless right now. Deeply saddened. RIP. Don't know what else to write.

My earliest Rugby League memory as a young lad is the 1972 World cup Final and the incorrectly disallowed Changa try of the Dennis Ward Kick. The French ref probably thought no player could possibly be that athletic and fast.

I also vividly remember 20th Sept 1975 - the white boots GF , my 12th birthday and my first Redv jersey

Vale Changa

SFTG

Old Timer

Coach
A very sad day indeed.
Actually like losing part of my self as he was such a hero for so long when he played and his playing deeds long discussed well after his retirement and still relevant today.
He was the inspiration for so many kids and everyone wanted to sidestep like Chang.
The greatest player I've seen wear the Big Red V and interestingly I never heard a player talk ill of him.
His footballing ability was a proven fact and anyone who picks this time to discuss anything other than his footballing skills should STFU.

getsmarty

Immortal
Vale Graeme Langlands
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Sun 21 Jan 2018, 11:15 AM

St George Illawarra are deeply saddened by the passing of Dragons legend and rugby league immortal Graeme Langlands.

Following a long battle with illness, the four-time grand final winning fullback passed away in his sleep on Saturday evening. Langlands was 76.

Born in Wollongong, Langlands first came into rugby league reckoning upon being selected for the New South Wales City Firsts and subsequently NSW firsts thereafter in 1962.

Joining the Dragons in 1963, 'Changa' went on to play 227 games across 14 seasons, and to this day is the most prolific pointscorer in the club's history (1554 points – 86 tries, 648 goals).

Langlands also made his debut for Australia in 1963 and went on to play 45 Tests – the fourth-most appearances by any player in the Kangaroos' history. So skilful a player, Langlands spent the first four years of his Test career in the centres.

In 1999, Langlands joined fellow Dragons Johnny Raper and Reg Gasnier as one of rugby league's immortals. In 2008, the game's centenary, Langlands was selected on the bench in Australian Rugby League's Team of the Century.

He was also awarded a MBE for his contribution to rugby league upon his retirement from the game and inducted into Australia Sport's Hall of Fame in 1986.

Funeral details are yet to be determined and will be communicated at a later date.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/01/21/vale-graeme-langlands/

qld redvee

Juniors
so many awesome memories of this champion. One that I recall was a test at the scg with the crowd chanting "CHANGA CHANGA" shivers down the spine stuff. A true legend of the game , an immortal and to top it off a STGEORGE player. RIP CHAMPION and I hope you put a sidestep on St Peter at those pearly gates .. What a sad day today is

Drakon

Juniors
Shocked and saddened to read of Changa's passing.

He was my favourite player growing up with Billy Smith second.

I didn't get to see Raper or Gasnier play live but I regard Chang as the best player I have seen. I have memories of seeing him sidestep through a whole team, of toe poking goals from the sideline, of kicking duels with Eric Simms and Alan McKean at the SCG. And then there was the best try ever scored but disallowed in the 1972 World cup Final as St from the Gong pointed out.
For some reason I have a vivid memory from Kogarah Jubilee Oval of seeing him chewing gum on the field at fullback, waiting for an opposition player who had broken through and just taking him head on - all in a day's work!

Thanks for the memories. You won't be forgotten.

It's a sad day and I've got a lump in my throat.

R.I.P. Chang.

Drakon

Juniors
Graeme Langlands, rugby league Immortal, dies in Sydney nursing home
Updated 30 minutes ago

PHOTO: Graeme Langlands was living with dementia and Alzheimer's in a Sydney nursing home. (Supplied: NRL)
MAP: Sutherland 2232
Rugby league Immortal Graeme 'Changa' Langlands, who was capped 45 times for Australia, has died aged 76.

The former St George Dragons fullback had dementia and Alzheimer's and died at the Sutherland Shire nursing home where he was living.

He is one of only eight rugby league Immortals.

He captained the Dragons from 1970 to 1976 and was captain of the Kangaroos from 1970 to 1975.

In November 2017 he was charged with six counts of indecent dealings with a girl under 16, dating back to the early 1980s on the Gold Coast.

His lawyer argued he was unfit to stand trial due to his "poor state of health" and significant cognitive impairment.

In December, the matter was adjourned until March this year so an application could be made for the case to be heard in the Mental Health Court.

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said the "rugby league world has lost a giant" with the passing of Langlands.

He was a key player for the Dragons during the team's dominance of the competition in the mid-1960s, and made the fourth-most appearances by any player in Kangaroos' history.

He was also awarded a MBE for his contribution to rugby league upon his retirement from the game and inducted into Australia Sport's Hall of Fame in 1986.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-21/rugby-league-immortal-graeme-langlands-dies/9346914

DUBV8c_U8AIpdFs.jpg