What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R19 MNF - BRONCOS v EELS *Match Thread*

Mr Saab

Referee
If Brisbane remained healthy like 2006 then they would have challenged for 2007 title.
Alot of people thought the storm were morals even before Brisbane went down with their injury dramas...but i think the Broncos would have challenged them

salivor

First Grade
Put Hunt, Hodges and Lockyer back into that squad and there was no doubt in my mind that we were the only genuine challenger to Melbourne. It's a bitter pill to swallow but that's footy, I think we can still unsettle a few team on the run home and we'll be back bigger and better next year IMO.

Bazal

Post Whore
Noa Nandruku said:
]

I guess thats what I was getting at, your forwards are good, your backline is class but your halves are your weak-link.

If I was a Parra fan Id be happy to have either Smith or Finch in the team but not both at the same time. If Hagan could find a 5/8 from your much hyped juniors I'd give Smith the boot.

Hell Id be tempted to give Mateo or Inu (providing he's playing) a try there next year. For the Storm Inglis is really starting find HIS game now at 5/8 and I think Inu in particular has many similar traits to Greg.

I'd give the other half the boot...Finch has been next to useless this year, I think he has 3 or 4 try assists to Tims dozen plus. Unfortunately, Blake Green is injured; He'd probably be the one to come in if either half was dropped. James Maloney is our PL half, he is also injured however and makes Finch look good anyway. Othewise we have two Flegg halves in PL who are not up to that level yet, so we really have no choice in terms of halves.

Our problem, I feel, is that whilst Tim is very good when on song, he really has no one taking pressure off him when he's having one of his inconsistent games. For all the criticism, Morris did that well in 2005 because he slotted in at first reciever in Tims place and just ran a few sets through while Tim found his feet again. Finch doesn't do that, if anything he disadvantages Tims game when he is off because Finch has no idea.

Inu at 6 would be a problem in terms of his defence, he still has issues in that regard, and I don't think he has the game of a 6. Mateo is a five-eighth originally but he's too big to play 6 these days. Hopefully young Kris Keating kicks on well, but he is 17-18 and so a bit young at the moment. Halves are certainly our weak point at the moment.

Noa

First Grade
Bazal said:
I'd give the other half the boot...Finch has been next to useless this year, I think he has 3 or 4 try assists to Tims dozen plus. Unfortunately, Blake Green is injured; He'd probably be the one to come in if either half was dropped. James Maloney is our PL half, he is also injured however and makes Finch look good anyway. Othewise we have two Flegg halves in PL who are not up to that level yet, so we really have no choice in terms of halves.

Our problem, I feel, is that whilst Tim is very good when on song, he really has no one taking pressure off him when he's having one of his inconsistent games. For all the criticism, Morris did that well in 2005 because he slotted in at first reciever in Tims place and just ran a few sets through while Tim found his feet again. Finch doesn't do that, if anything he disadvantages Tims game when he is off because Finch has no idea.

Inu at 6 would be a problem in terms of his defence, he still has issues in that regard, and I don't think he has the game of a 6. Mateo is a five-eighth originally but he's too big to play 6 these days. Hopefully young Kris Keating kicks on well, but he is 17-18 and so a bit young at the moment. Halves are certainly our weak point at the moment.

Finch is a tough little bugger who would flourish at half-back next to a good 5/8. He's sacrificing his game to allow Tim Smith to "control" the play, I wonder if Smiths ego (and game) would allow him to do the same if they swapped postions.

Put Finch next to Inu at 5/8 (he's got ALL the skills and the role of 5/8 is undergoing a gradual change) or some-one of similar attacking ability and all he'd have to do is bark orders,make sure he's in postion for general play kicking and defend with his usual grit.

And he'd do that role ALOT better then Tim Smith.

Bazal

Post Whore
Noa Nandruku said:
Finch is a tough little bugger who would flourish at half-back next to a good 5/8. He's sacrificing his game to allow Tim Smith to "control" the play, I wonder if Smiths ego (and game) would allow him to do the same if they swapped postions.

Put Finch next to Inu at 5/8 (he's got ALL the skills and the role of 5/8 is undergoing a gradual change) or some-one of similar attacking ability and all he'd have to do is bark orders,make sure he's in postion for general play kicking and defend with his usual grit.

I don't rate Finch in attack, and I don't buy the sacrificial lamb defence when that would imply he has the ability to step up if Smith is struggling. He hasn't done that at any stage this year...and Tim has hardly been at his best. Inu might be able to make the transition...but I've never seen anything to suggest he has the kicking game to play in the halves, and his defence would need a lot of work.

As a five-eighth myself, I despise what the position has become. These days we practically have a halfback, and then two locks/three centres with some minor ball playing ability...

Tekken Lord

Juniors
Originally Posted by Noa Nandruku

:lol: :lol: Finch better than Smith :lol:
Finch has been relatively poor in attack all year, his kicking game has been the most shocking followed by his execution. Both have improved but nowhere near enough for him to be playing as our halfback, with Inu at 5/8.

Smith > Finch