What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R19 vs Broncos

OldPanther

Coach
Maloney believes Panthers will bounce back

James Maloney says he is not worried by Penrith's mini-slump at the moment and has vowed to improve his leadership after getting frustrated with how the dismal first half of the 50-18 loss to Brisbane panned out.

Returning from the gruelling State of Origin campaign the NSW five-eighth was not at his best as the Panthers trailed 32-0 at the break in the round 19 match at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night.

The loss was the club’s fourth in five games but Maloney said he was confident the team would start firing when it counted as the semi-finals loomed.
"I'm probably not as concerned about it as you guys seem to be," he said.

"We've got six weeks to go in the season and we need to be playing our best footy in six weeks, and we'll be doing that and start building towards it.

"I'd probably be more concerned if we were humming and doing everything right because I'd have doubts if we could hold it for another 10 weeks.

"We are all back together now [after Origin] and we'll get it right."
Maloney said he would be putting in an improved display personally in the 'away' game against the Sea Eagles at Lottoland next Saturday night.

"Some technical stuff we missed the mark on, and some frustration crept in," he said of the heavy loss to the Broncos.

"That stemmed a bit from me. I got a bit frustrated in the first half and that didn't probably help the boys in terms of leadership so I'll fix that up next week.”

Coach Anthony Griffin said "everything" went wrong in the first half but agreed with Maloney about his side's capacity and determination to return to the kind of form that saw the Panthers on top of the NRL ladder a month ago.

"Brisbane were sitting here last week thinking they couldn't play and they have come out and turned it around, and we will turn it around," Griffin said.

"Obviously we are not happy with what happened tonight. It is not acceptable for us as a team and a club, but…it is a performance we will learn from.

"We are in a position where we are at the moment in the top-eight because we have a very good football team and some good people that have worked hard all year, and that’s not going to stop."

Griffin said fullback Jarome Luai had an ankle ligament injury and would have scans on Saturday to determine the extent of it after he left the field late in the first half and did not return.

On a brighter note, Test winger Josh Mansour returned from a long layoff after suffering a horrific facial fracture and played strongly, scoring the second of Penrith's three second-half tries.

"I thought he was really good tonight," Griffin said.

"He has obviously been out for 14 weeks so he just needs to play games, and he got a try and had a lot of key involvements tonight.

"He just needs to keep playing and work himself into match fitness."

https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2018/07/21/maloney-believes-panthers-will-bounce-back/

Pomoz

Bench
Can someone tell me why all the only kicks cleary does unless we are with 15m of the try line is put up bombs? Do we not value the clearing kick at Penrith? Cleary is putting up midfield bombs on our own 40m line ffs we are giving away 30m straight away. Find the grass, turn the back 3 around and put them under pressure.

Its coaching one way or the other. Either its a tactic that hook likes or cleary just osnt being told the right things. Consistently putting up midfield bombs from our own half is the most idiotic tactic.
Coaching? Maloney doesn't do it and didn't do it when Cleary was injured.

betcats

Referee
Coaching? Maloney doesn't do it and didn't do it when Cleary was injured.

Maloney puts up a lot of bombs, his are just much better placed and usually land within 10m of the try line.

If Cleary isn't getting told to put bombs up from everywhere then the coach should be telling him not to, do you get what I mean?

Pomoz

Bench
Maloney puts up a lot of bombs, his are just much better placed and usually land within 10m of the try line.

If Cleary isn't getting told to put bombs up from everywhere then the should be telling him not to, do you get what I mean?
I never said he didn't do bombs, but he also kicks for corners and for open ground. Cleary always finds the fullback and rarely kicks for corners.

This is telling. We all agree Maloney had a shocker on Friday and yet he forced two drop outs with kicks. Cleary got an assist with grubber, these kicks work. Cleary just doesn't do them very often

Personally I think both halves are flat after SOO and off their game. They'll bounce back.

betcats

Referee
I never said he didn't do bombs, but he also kicks for corners and for open ground. Cleary always finds the fullback and rarely kicks for corners.

This is telling. We all agree Maloney had a shocker on Friday and yet he forced two drop outs with kicks. Cleary got an assist with grubber, these kicks work. Cleary just doesn't do them very often

Personally I think both halves are flat after SOO and off their game. They'll bounce back.

Yeah fair enough.

I agree re clearys kicking, he does nothing but bomb unless that just isn't an option. I think he is just really good at following instructions, hence the coaches raving about him. He doesn't have any natural feel for the game like a true half.

His first kick after half time was a bomb from our own 40m(collected by broncos on their 30m line, such a waste) line which is why im questioning what he is being told by the coach.

TheFrog

Coach
Lost 4 of our last 5 and look a shambles.
Broncos lost 5 in a row at this stage of the season when they last won the premiership. The Knights in 2001 took several serious hidings before going on to lift the trophy. The Cowboys conceded 50 in week 1 of the finals in 2005 before making the GF. And we conceded 66 in Melbourne in 2004 before making the 3rd week of the finals. All is not yet lost.

Last edited:

Pomoz

Bench
Yeah fair enough.

I agree re clearys kicking, he does nothing but bomb unless that just isn't an option. I think he is just really good at following instructions, hence the coaches raving about him. He doesn't have any natural feel for the game like a true half.
We are both back to being concerned he doesn't have the flair and vision. Lets hope we are wrong Betcats, it won't help the Panther's if we are right.

His Dad has said many times Nathan started league really late, something like 14 years of age. He hasn't had as much time to learn how to read the game as a lot of players in his position, probably less than most. My nephew was playing at 5 years of age, he's no Nathan Cleary but he knows the game really well, its in his blood. He played until he was 20 years old, that's 15 years of experience playing football every week and every season. Nathan has had six years experience! I know he has had professional coaching and my nephew hasn't, well not NRL level at least, but the point still stands. My only hope is that as he racks up the games he will start to read things more quickly.

martielang

Bench
We have had Brisbane fans who have come in here and talked about how hook will always choose a big strong winger over a fast skilled one before. He disregards what the team needs, form, tactics and who the opposition is and just picks players that suit his particular style(which hasn't changed in 6 years). Its so amateur. If he picked Phillips you would've been here last week talking about how Phillips was the right choice, you don't actually think about it with an open mind, you just look for reason to justify what ever hook does.

And we were right in that game, our forwards were poking holes in the Brisbane line with every run, then cleary lands a bomb in goal and they go up the other end with 7 tackles and Crichton drops a pass that hit him in the chest and Maloney absolutely shits the bed and the game is over after 20 minutes.

I wanted Crichton prior to team announcement but could of lived with either. I think Crichton will end up being a decent first grader.

You're talking as if he had a choice between Crichton & Josh Ado Carr. He had a choice between Crichton & Phillips. Both have their strengths & limitations, neither is in far superior form to the other. You're also not taking into account that Crichton has played on the right wing the last 3 months, while Phillips has been on the left & we had a left winger returning. While you can disagree with his decision, it made as much sense (if not more) as picking Phillips.

I have no issue with people criticising him. It just pains me seeing people write their own narrative or blow small decisions our of proportion to suit their agenda. I feel like i'm talking to the mrs.

betcats

Referee
Left or right wing? lol. Its not hard to remember what side the touch line is on, they are wingers.

I agree they both have their own strengths and weakness but hook couldn't see that Phillips strengths were better suited for us last week because he has a predisposed idea of what a winger should be and that is obviously his main consideration when picking a side and that just isn't good. Hook is predictable, the way his teams play is predictable. He has a one track mind when it comes to football and how it is played.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Broncos lost 5 in a row at this stage of the season when they last won the premiership. The Knights in 2001 took several serious hidings before going on to lift the trophy. The Cowboys conceded 50 in week 1 of the finals in 2005 before making the GF. And we conceded 66 in Melbourne in 2004 before making the 3rd week of the finals. All is not yet lost.

Knights had 40 put on them 3 times in 2001. 48-16. 42-8 and 49-30. Also hold the record for conceding the 2nd highest comeback that year. and won another game 42-34.

So teams have been in a far worse positions than us and won the comp

Latest posts