What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R20 Fri - ROOSTERS v STORM *Match Thread*

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
r20-game2.jpg

Sydney Roosters v Melbourne
Friday 27 July, 7:30pm
SYDNEY FOOTBALL STADIUM, MOORE PARK NSW
TIX > Ticketek.com.au
LIVE on NINE NSW, LIVE on 2GB & NETWORK

LeagueUnlimited LIVE UPDATE

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/liveupdate.php?matchid=199

RefereeYellow.gif

SEAN HAMPSTEAD
Sideline Officials: David Abood, Paul Holland; Video Referee: Graeme West

Roosters.gif

Sydney Roosters

Sam Perrett, Amos Roberts, Mitchell Aubusson, Joel Monaghan, John Williams, Braith Anasta, Craig Wing, David Shillington, Heath L'Estrange, Lopini Paea, Anthony Tupou, Craig Fitzgibbon, Ashley Harrison
Int - Danny Nutley, Nate Myles, Setaimata Sa, Shane Shackleton

StormAway.gif

Melbourne Storm

1. Billy Slater, 2. Steve Turner, 3. Matt King, 4. Matt Geyer, 5. Israel Folau, 6. Greg Inglis, 7. Cooper Cronk, 8. Ben Cross, 9. Cameron Smith, 10. Brett White, 11. Jeremy Smith, 12. Ryan Hoffman, 13. Dallas Johnson
Int - 14. Jeff Lima, 15. Adam Blair, 16. Clint Newton, 17. Anthony Quinn, 18. James Aubusson, 19. Garret Crossman

Gates open 5:30pm
JERSEY FLEGG > Sydney Roosters v Central Coast Storm, 5:40pm

Elsewhere
PREMIER LEAGUE > Newtown Jets v Balmain Ryde Eastwood Tigers at Leichhardt Oval, Monday 4:50pm​

Timmah

Staff member
Match History...

15 matches overall
Storm 8 Roosters 7

At SFS 5 matches
Roosters 3 Storm 2

Big wins
Roosters 41-6 @ SFS, 2000
Storm 48-10 @ Olympic, 2002

Last met
2007 - Storm 26-2 at Olympic
2006 - Storm 20-16 at Olympic, Storm 22-18 at SFS

Ice777

Bench
Hoffman and Geyer will be rested with Newton and Quinn expected to be their starting replacements.

Timmah

Staff member
That stat comes from the fact the Roosters dominated the competition from 2000-4 (despite the fact they lost three grand finals in that time span)

Timmah

Staff member
Late mail from the Tele >

No word on changes from either side but Melbourne do require to omit two from their extended bench, one of the likely to be omitted is James Aubusson, whose brother Mitch will line up in the centres for the Roosters, who are as per program.

Timmah

Staff member
Zen and art of captaining the Roosters
July 27, 2007

IN THE weeks before it all became too hard and he resigned, former Roosters coach Chris Anderson offered his senior players the services of - gulp! - a sports psychologist.

Some said thanks but no thanks. Others assumed their position on the couch.

By his own admission, captain Craig Fitzgibbon has "mellowed" in recent seasons, but his session answered the question he'd started asking himself as the team he'd celebrated a premiership with stumbled from loss to loss to loss to …

"He asked me couple of questions and the hardest one to answer was, 'Why do I play football?'," revealed the 30-year-old. "When I sat down and had a real good think about why I'm doing this, it made me realise how lucky I am - having all those reasons written down in front of me.

"Sometimes, when you're not winning and playing injured, you start to think, 'why am I doing this?' For a while there I doubted myself and wondered why I bothered. Then I realised - it's a pretty good job I've got."

Then Fitzgibbon stopped himself. "I don't want to sound like a headcase," he smiled. "I feel like a wanker talking about myself so much."

The Roosters have won back-to-back matches for the first time in two seasons - against the Sharks and Newcastle - and enter tonight's clash against premiership favourites Melbourne at Aussie Stadium flushed with confidence. Or maybe just hope, and that means everything at Bondi Junction right now.

And while caretaker coach Brad Fittler is receiving warm and deserved plaudits for the remarkable U-turn, those at the club point to the bald and bankable captain grinding away in the second-row.

"He's a pro who would bleed for the club - and they need senior players like that at the Roosters," Anderson said. "You don't get too many of them. I lent on him as much as possible. He is the constant every club needs."

Five-eighth Braith Anasta said: "I feel for him. It's been very hard for Fitzy over the last two years. He's copped a lot of crap. He deserves to have some success because he's copped it more than most of us."

For his part, Fitzgibbon takes the tough times in his stride. Sure, he takes it personally that the Roosters have struggled on his watch over the past two seasons when he has been captain. But a discussion with Fittler about leaving self-importance at the door during the twilight years of his career has given him some Zen-like perspective.

"I talked to Freddie a lot about it, actually," he said. "Watching the way he played towards the end of his career and the way he wound down, the place he was in. It's ego-driven. You learn to leave your ego behind a little bit and that makes life more more comfortable. You take the ego out of it - and we all wrestle with it, especially in rugby league - and you realise we're all lucky."

That mindset might explain why Fitzgibbon decided to extend his contract at the Roosters until the end of next season, despite juicy offers from NRL and UK Super League clubs, a point certainly not lost on Roosters chairman Nick Politis.

"He is one of the few loyal players in our club," Politis said. "He could have gone shopping himself around and asked for more. But he wanted to stay here. There hasn't been a more loyal clubman at the Roosters like that since Freddie."

Loyalty? It's not easy to extend that beyond the chalk of the sideline in this era of salary caps and the bottom line.

"It got tested pretty hard last year," Fitzgibbon admitted. "I would have been better financially if I had left. But it wasn't about that. I just thought for all the work and effort I've put in. I wanted to leave the way I wanted to leave. And that's with the Roosters.

"At the time, the whole thing made me bitter and twisted. It happens to heaps of players - your future is out of your hands - but I dug my heels in. I think it showed the club how much it meant to me."

Fitzgibbon remains unhappy that his representative career for NSW and Australia flatlined last year, ironically after he was man-of-the-match for Country against City. "I've seen plenty of blokes over the years not playing well but still getting picked," he said. "It just didn't happen for me. I was bitter about it. But it's not anyone's fault but my own for not putting it beyond doubt."

Not that he has anything to prove. Fitzgibbon has won Origin and Test matches, he's claimed a premiership, played in grand finals and enjoyed the good times.

And that provided the answer to the question the sports shrink asked him a few weeks ago: why does he keep playing footy?"It's all easy for me because I've done everything I can," he said. "It's as clear as day. There's nothing hanging above me that I feel like I have to do. For me it's all about turning the Roosters around.

"I came here eight years ago and it's been the best thing to ever happen to me. That's why I was so adamant that I wanted to finish here. I love the Roosters. I love everything that's happened to us, even though we've struggled in the last couple of years.

Mate, I'm blessed."

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...1185339170298.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Timmah

Staff member
Storm keen to end Fittler's NRL run
July 26, 2007 - 6:25PM

Cooper Cronk has revealed Melbourne's desire for rugby league perfection after admitting the club cruised their way to last year's grand final.

The Storm halfback said coach Craig Bellamy was constantly finding areas for his side to improve, determined not to let any complacency creep into the runaway ladder leaders.

Melbourne will look to produce another flawless performance and end Brad Fittler's coaching honeymoon with the Sydney Roosters at Sydney Football Stadium on Friday night.

"This year there's definitely an expectation and standard we have set ourselves to take the game to the next level," Cronk said.

"This year has panned out pretty similar in terms of performance and our winning ratio but the difference I think between last year to this year is that last year we were sort of just riding the wave.

"Last year was not a surprise but a little bit of fun just cruising along and enjoying what we achieved.

"Whereas this year we know we can do it and want to go a little bit further along."

Melbourne have posted impressive wins in the past fortnight - 34-6 over Canberra and 44-0 to Newcastle. But Cronk says the Storm still aren't satisfied with their drubbings and want to improve against the lowly Roosters.

"(Minor premiership) is not the focus at this time of year, it's about ironing out the things we are not doing so well and maintaining the things we are doing well as a team," Cronk said.

"We are always finding things we have to improve on.

"It's good that it is never ending so we keep doing the hard work and stuff we should be doing and I think that is part of the reason we are doing so well.

"We were guilty four or five years ago of just playing well in patches and then losing one or two games and it would really hurt the confidence of the side.

"But we've seemed to have got those games out us."

Cronk, who lists Fittler as his favourite footballer, has no illusions about the task of beating a rejuvenated Roosters side flying under his hero's leadership.

He says the talent-laden Roosters - with several State of Origin-experienced players - are genuine finals contenders and the Storm cannot afford to relax knowing their top two spot is secure several weeks before the season is over.

"If we did that (relaxed) we would be out in the first week of the finals," he said.

"If the team starts waiting for the finals and not concentrating on the games we want to win we will get our backsides handed to us during these next six weeks.

"That's the challenge in front of us, not to get comfortable.

"(The Roosters) are playing with a lot of enthusiasm and excitement and that's something we've probably got to pick up.

"Early on in the game we don't have to go crazy but we need to have fun and relax and make sure we are committed to the task.

"Craig Wing moves in and out of the halves and dummy half and gets a lot of their go forward.

"Braith Anasta is an Origin player and when he is at the top of his game he is one of the best players in the competition.

"There's no doubt they (Wing and Anasta) are their focal point ... it's a bit of a focus for us to try and limit their impact on the game."

© 2007 AAP

http://news.leaguehq.com.au/storm-keen-to-end-fittlers-nrl-run/20073926-pxv.html

gong_eagle

First Grade
Fittler aware of possible Storm damage

By Steve Mascord
July 27, 2007
SYDNEY Roosters coach Brad Fittler believes some teams are beaten before they take the field against Melbourne.
Asked last night how he knew the Roosters would not fall into the trap at Aussie Stadium tonight, Fittler said: "I don't know. I've only been coaching for two weeks."
The hype surrounding the former Australia captain's unbeaten opening fortnight in coaching could move into the stratosphere if the club can inflict Melbourne's third loss of the season.
But Roosters chief executive Brian Canavan said results would be "not an overly significant" factor in determining whether Fittler gets the head coach's position beyond this year.
"He's gone extremely well in the first two weeks but we've got an acid test tomorrow night," Canavan said.
"We can't expect miracles coming off a lean first two-thirds of the season. What we would be looking for are some more abstract things regarding preparation, attitude, enthusiasm, spirit."
In front of an expected healthy crowd tonight, Roosters officials should get a good indication of all four.
"For sure some teams are beaten before they take the field against Melbourne," Fittler said.
"Obviously belief is a big thing.
"Them turning up with a bad attitude also helps."
The decision on whether a director of football is installed above Fittler could be taken within a month, Canavan said.
"We've been talking informally among all board members and myself and there's no real timeframe," he said..
"If we said a month, that would be loosely it."
Fittler said he had learned from rival Brian Smith last week, and, when asked whether facing up to Craig Bellamy represented a new hurdle, he replied: "No doubt.
"But we've just been trying to think about ourselves," he said..
"I watched what Brian did last week and took note of that."
In pre-match news, Australia hooker Cameron Smith is close to assuming the full-time captaincy of Storm.
"He's done (press conferences) the last couple of weeks but I wouldn't say he's got the full-time captaincy," Bellamy said.
"But, again, it's a decision we've made in the last couple of weeks. I think, if we're ever going to go to one captain, he'll be the one."
The Storm coach also said players and coaches had to take a stand against diving in the game.
"The referees can't police it," he said.
"It's not for them to know if the bloke's hurt or not. At the end of the day, the players have got to decide if it's a tactic they should be using.
"They all need to get on board. No one is owning up to say they think it's a good thing for the game but there are still people doing it.
"It's up to the players and coaches to decide that we're not going to do that."
Bellamy still has two players to omit from his bench while the Roosters trained last night and reported no changes.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22141504-23214,00.html

Timmah said:
That stat comes from the fact the Roosters dominated the competition from 2000-4 (despite the fact they lost three grand finals in that time span)

im sorry but we only "dominated" in 03 and 04 and lost all 3 grand finals to the better team you idiot

Choppies

Coach
Timmah said:
Late mail from the Tele >

No word on changes from either side but Melbourne do require to omit two from their extended bench, one of the likely to be omitted is James Aubusson, whose brother Mitch will line up in the centres for the Roosters, who are as per program.

Jaubs is wise to not go against his future club. Smart boy Jaubs.
Hopefully Maubs has a good game today.

Timmah

Staff member
Tonearm Terrorwrist said:
im sorry but we only "dominated" in 03 and 04 and lost all 3 grand finals to the better team you idiot

You were one of the top teams over that 5 season period mate.

Latest posts