What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
What do you mean????................

Sorry but I'm not catching onto what you're saying........

the footballers of today did not get into trouble no where near as much as they do today and yes there was media back then too, the past 3 decades of youth are a bunch of drug and tattoo fuelled fools they are a disgrace to sport and in general society and its only going to get far worse can you imagine what the next generation will be like the mind boggles .

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
the footballers of today did not get into trouble no where near as much as they do today and yes there was media back then too, the past 3 decades of youth are a bunch of drug and tattoo fuelled fools they are a disgrace to sport and in general society and its only going to get far worse can you imagine what the next generation will be like the mind boggles .

I don't agree. The past generation was just as full of footy thugs. In fact the only reason that they do these things off the field is because they can't throw punches on the field. Its become common courtesy to niggle at players and bait them into throwing a punch or a kick and then getting them sin binned/banned. The game encourages other players to hold in their anger when in reality that's what used to make footy great. The current rules in fact encourage diving. The game is becoming more soft every year and the fact that you have all these pissed off, frustrated players not being able to throw a punch or make a hard tackle is obviously gonna result in a lot of internal anger. This ultimately leads to drug use, fights, sexual abuse off the field.

The shoulder charge ban is the most ridiculous shit I've ever seen. Sure a shoulder charge off a kick off when they're running full pace is bad but some of the shoulder charges that have seen bans this year are an absolute joke..

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
I don't agree. The past generation was just as full of footy thugs. In fact the only reason that they do these things off the field is because they can't throw punches on the field. Its become common courtesy to niggle at players and bait them into throwing a punch or a kick and then getting them sin binned/banned. The game encourages other players to hold in their anger when in reality that's what used to make footy great. The current rules in fact encourage diving. The game is becoming more soft every year and the fact that you have all these pissed off, frustrated players not being able to throw a punch or make a hard tackle is obviously gonna result in a lot of internal anger. This ultimately leads to drug use, fights, sexual abuse off the field.

The shoulder charge ban is the most ridiculous shit I've ever seen. Sure a shoulder charge off a kick off when they're running full pace is bad but some of the shoulder charges that have seen bans this year are an absolute joke..

i dont agree the young footballers of today are taking more drugs and tattooing themselves unlike in the 50""s 60's70s and 80""s it all started going down hill from the mid 80""s .! now the tattooed fools will all be sitting around in a nursing home together comparing each other tattoos .!!!....Shadow...

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
i dont agree the young footballers of today are taking more drugs and tattooing themselves unlike in the 50""s 60's70s and 80""s it all started going down hill from the mid 80""s .! now the tattooed fools will all be sitting around in a nursing home together comparing each other tattoos .!!!....Shadow...

Drugs would of been way worse in the 50's,60's and 70's. There wasnt drug testing technology like there is now. Plus they weren't as athletic as they are know because almost everyone smoked back then especially athletes. You put a 50's,60's,70's athlete in today's game and most of them wouldn't be able to compete with how athletic some of the players are today. They wouldn't be able to keep up with the pace of the game and would get muscled over almost all the time. They would be literally man handled.

What's wrong with Tattooing? How is that even related to anything? Tattoo's have been around for centuries and are popular among many different areas of the population. Even extremely successful people have tattoos. It's the modern fashion to get tattoos. To judge someone because they have a tattoo on their body is quite insane. People who get tattoo's aren't just stereotypical thugs anymore.

Travitoh

First Grade
The NRL isn't aimed at middle aged men like ourselves anymore, it's aimed at mothers and children.
The rise of soccer has forced both the NRL and AFL to clean up the thuggery involved in the games as mums don't want to put their children into a game that will potentially hurt them. That and the new knowledge we have of head injuries and it's effects, plus the fact that the game is much more professional than it's ever been and you have todays product.
And it's not just in Australia either, it's happening in every sport. Even cricket has new standards related to concussions!
The changes are for the better and i believe that anyone who has been a serious participant will agree. In fact, what pushed me away from playing league was the thugs who felt it was ok to wrap their forearm around my head. I don't regret walking away from the game, I'm just disappointed that's the decision that i was forced to make.
Of course it's a minority but rules aren't put in place to control those who are doing the right thing.

Travitoh

First Grade
Drugs in sport are nothing new, it's just a lot more public as it's much more frowned upon now. Like it or not, players are role models in the modern day and they need to maintain a squeaky clean image.

I won't even debate the relevance of tattoos today as comments against them are simply ignorant, ill-informed and outdated.

Never played soccer I take it?

I've seen enough cheap shot elbows to the face and mouth to make you wince. Broken noses and busted teeth...
I've seen enough tackles that cause horrible leg damage out of spite and hot headedness.
I know goalies who would stop at nothing to break a knee, tibia or fibula, ankle or foot diving for a loose ball around goal.

If mummies around Australia are scared to let little Timmy and Tabitha play kids NRL or AFL and prefer soccer, then I lol long and heartily at them.

SaraSassypants

Juniors
Gagai has been one of the best centres in the game this year, averages over 5 tackle breaks per game and over 100m per game. Get off the drugs R20 mate. We have needed a good centre ever since Walker left and now we have one.

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
Drugs would of been way worse in the 50's,60's and 70's. There wasnt drug testing technology like there is now. Plus they weren't as athletic as they are know because almost everyone smoked back then especially athletes. You put a 50's,60's,70's athlete in today's game and most of them wouldn't be able to compete with how athletic some of the players are today. They wouldn't be able to keep up with the pace of the game and would get muscled over almost all the time. They would be literally man handled.

What's wrong with Tattooing? How is that even related to anything? Tattoo's have been around for centuries and are popular among many different areas of the population. Even extremely successful people have tattoos. It's the modern fashion to get tattoos. To judge someone because they have a tattoo on their body is quite insane. People who get tattoo's aren't just stereotypical thugs anymore.

ask someone that is 70 plus and they will tell you the same thing no contest....Shadow...

Rabbits20

Immortal
?? He's playing in a Newcastle side that has no forward pack? He's playing for the maroons? Walters said he was considering playing him at centre because he knew how deadly he could be on the edge? Centres don't change games but our outside backs are pretty weak and it's the one area that needed bolstering. If him and GI are gonna switch between fullback and centre then it should work really well.
He just seems to be going through the motions and he has been lazy this season. That had better not carry on once we have him.

His form imo doesn't warrant origin selection. He is there based on the loyalty rule I reckon.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Gagai has been one of the best centres in the game this year, averages over 5 tackle breaks per game and over 100m per game. Get off the drugs R20 mate. We have needed a good centre ever since Walker left and now we have one.
I have watched most of Newcastle's matches this season and I am entitled to my view.

He's going through the motions.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
He just seems to be going through the motions and he has been lazy this season. That had better not carry on once we have him.

His form imo doesn't warrant origin selection. He is there based on the loyalty rule I reckon.

But that's just like saying James Tedesco has been doing the same thing. Because he hasn't been playing well at all this season yet has been chosen for NSW and is deemed to be one of the best fullbacks in the competition. Roosters are gonna pay him 1.3 million a season or some ridiculous shit.

You can't play footy as a back when your forward pack doesn't lay the platform for you. Newcastle's forward pack all have little experience but you chuck Gagai behind a solid forward pack he will shine. He can shred up most backlines if given enough space.

Travitoh

First Grade
Never played soccer I take it?

I've seen enough cheap shot elbows to the face and mouth to make you wince. Broken noses and busted teeth...
I've seen enough tackles that cause horrible leg damage out of spite and hot headedness.
I know goalies who would stop at nothing to break a knee, tibia or fibula, ankle or foot diving for a loose ball around goal.

If mummies around Australia are scared to let little Timmy and Tabitha play kids NRL or AFL and prefer soccer, then I lol long and heartily at them.

In park soccer that happens but most only know what they see on tv and the games they attend. Soccer has a reputation of being a friendly game and that is what mum's want their kids involved in.

DiegoNT

First Grade
I've seen games this year where gagai has almost single handly kept newcastle in it with his power running and determination. He is a good centre, but not a great one, and he is in a role where he is by far the best player in what is a very young and fairly poor roster. That's a hard spot for any centre to shine but i think this year gagai has done great. He had a bad game on the weekend tho, and for people with the attention span of a goldfish it now means his a dud that's been poor all year

doyen

Bench
ask someone that is 70 plus and they will tell you the same thing no contest....Shadow...

I may have led a sheltered existence but as a 70+ year old I can say that when a teenager the word "drugs" was unheard of!

My sister introduced me to alcohol when I was about 18---I'd never tasted it in any form before that.

My mates were basically in the same boat----to all of us,in my circle of friends anyway,[& I played a lot of sport too];drugs were completely unheard of!!
Tattoos---no such thing back then either,nobody seemed to have one or even think that way--but I'm certainly not anti body-art----my gorgeous g/daughter is covered in Tats like Dugan!!! Tattoos are the go these days & you're a bit weird if you don't have at least one,I reckon-------some,though,such as Dugan [& co.] are over the top,IMO!
Most players,nearly all,I'd say,had a full-time job in the 50/60s so were too tired to get into too much trouble.
I suppose there were occasional incidents,but very rarely,by my recall!!

Last edited:

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
In park soccer that happens but most only know what they see on tv and the games they attend. Soccer has a reputation of being a friendly game and that is what mum's want their kids involved in.

I can't watch professional soccer games they're too boring. I used to enjoy park soccer though. Anything can happen in those games and the banter is hilarious.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I may have led a sheltered existence but as a 70+ year old I can say that when a teenager the word "drugs" was unheard of!

My sister introduced me to alcohol when I was about 18---I'd never tasted it in any form before that.

My mates were basically in the same boat----to all of us,in my circle of friends anyway,[& I played a lot of sport too];drugs were completely unheard of!!
Tattoos---no such thing back then either,nobody seemed to have one or even think that way--but I'm certainly not anti body-art----my gorgeous g/daughter is covered in Tats like Dugan!!! Tattoos are the go these days & you're a bit weird if you don't have at least one,I reckon-------some,though,such as Dugan [& co.] are over the top,IMO!
Most players,nearly all,I'd say,had a full-time job in the 50/60s so were too tired to get into too much trouble.

It depends on the people you grow up with and the area you live in. I honestly believe the more privileged and sheltered kids are more inclined to act out and use drugs. This can carry on for their NRL career. I think it's pretty silly to think that there hasn't always been a lot of drugs around sport. They have a lot of stress in their playing career and it's an easy release.

Latest posts