What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

Robyne Glover

Juniors
Cody's manager has asked for a contract upgrade in the wake of Gagai's signing and if it is not forthcoming he will ask for a release..........Souths are working on it and say that he won't be released.
Noooopp
It's cody's manager trying to get as much money as possible. He does have a family and living in Sydney is a joke. He doesn't deserve rep player money though. Let's give him an upgrade but it shouldn't break our bank.

alien

Referee
Cody Walker’s management chase increase after No.1 shift, Dane Gagai offer at South Sydney Rabbitohs
CHRISTIAN NICOLUSSI, The Daily Telegraph
May 16, 2017 6:28pm

CODY Walker could sensationally walk out on South Sydney at the end of the season unless he receives a significant pay rise.

Walker has been one of Souths’ best players this season and is now wearing the all-important No.1 jersey, but the Daily Telegraph can reveal he is one of the worst paid representative stars in the NRL on a pay packet worth around $200,000.

And with the Country Origin representative’s deal to rise to around $260,000 next year, Walker’s management are demanding their star player be paid accordingly, especially with Dane Gagai reportedly on the verge of accepting a three-year deal worth around $2 million as a centre

0530cd252328a07f109c6c4a8f2233f0

Walker’s performances this season could make him a big earner. Image: Gregg Porteous

Most top-line fullbacks in the game are also earning in excess of $700,000, which makes Walker one of the NRL’s biggest bargain buys.

“There are issues with Cody’s deal we’re trying to work through at the moment with Souths,’’ Walker’s new agent Matt Rose said.

“But where that gets to I’m not sure.’’

Walker signed a new deal for next year with an option in his favour for 2019, ignoring a $600,000 three-year deal to join Wayne Bennett at the Broncos. He was happy with the deal at the time he signed.

Several clubs have already made inquiries about Walker should his situation with Souths come to an ugly end.

Walker has not complained to Souths officials, but Rose, who had nothing to do with the current deal, will demand an increase or seek a release.

He struck up a wonderful halves partnership with Adam Reynolds before being shifted to fullback last weekend where he will remain until Greg Inglis recovers from knee surgery.

If the Rabbits are any hope of charging towards the finals, they will need Walker to fire at the back.

Souths stood by Walker when he dealt with several off-field incidents in recent years, and were the club which gave him his NRL debut as a 26-year-old.

Rabbitohs boss Shane Richardson said they were happy to revisit Walker’s deal once they knew what the salary cap would be.

622671291d4822cf616b84694df69497

Dane Gagai is rumoured to be heading to Redfern. (AAP Image/Darren Pateman)

Alex Johnston is another player holding out for fullback money, but has only been offered a deal as a winger. The Bunnies are likely to shed another player to make accommodate the pending arrival of Queensland Origin winger Gagai.

“We will look at upgrading Cody once we find out what the salary cap is and what our roster looks like,’’ Richardson said.

“We have no intentions of releasing Cody under any circumstances.’’

Waker has been able to finetune his game under Inglis, one of the game’s greatest modern-day fullbacks, and had a blinder against the Wests Tigers last Friday where he ran for 160m, had two try assists and 10 tackle busts.

He will go head to head with Billy Slater when the Bunnies travel to Perth and host Melbourne on Sunday night.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/8010ac376283c33ff9a3e6145e9e4d48

Robyne Glover

Juniors
I certainly think cody's nose is out of joint if we have signed Gagai, but geez
Do you really think Richo is gonna give Cody a release,sure give him an upgrade, but keep the vultures from other clubs away from him Cody is ours, especialkty the
RORTERS and Gran Torino Bennett's side the broody Broncos, will not happen!

alien

Referee
Cody will probably be in the 6 next year with Sutton back as the left second rower. It sounds like they want GI in the 1 and Gagai in the centres.

Could be a pretty good backline:

1. Greg Inglis
2. Alex Johnston
3. Dane Gagai
4. Hymel Hunt
5. Aaron Gray
6. Cody Walker
7. Adam Reynolds

Bryson Goodwin (backup outside back)

Last edited:

SaraSassypants

Juniors
So apparently Walker will be upgraded once next years cap is sorted. Richo has confirmed this and it was going on well before the story "broke" today. He won't be released and he'll get his pay rise. Guess this is another non story.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I can't blame Cody.

All he was going to get next year was 260k. Heck he's getting 200k this year and he's our best player.

Gagai on 700k.

That isn't right at all.

Good on Cody and his manager for chasing this up.

Cody should be on 500k next season.

alien

Referee
So apparently Walker will be upgraded once next years cap is sorted. Richo has confirmed this and it was going on well before the story "broke" today. He won't be released and he'll get his pay rise. Guess this is another non story.
pretty much, lol

Rabbits20

Immortal
Cody will probably be in the 6 next year with Sutton back as the left second rower. It sounds like they want GI in the 1 and Gagai in the centres.

Could be a pretty good backline:

1. Greg Inglis
2. Alex Johnston
3. Dane Gagai
4. Hymel Hunt
5. Aaron Gray
6. Cody Walker
7. Adam Reynolds

Bryson Goodwin (backup outside back)
AJ and Gray could very well go.

Travitoh

First Grade
At $200k, he wants to be careful how he acts as there is no real deterrent to prevent the club from refusing him a release and letting him sit in reserve grade or even sending him on 'gardening leave'.
Yes, he deserves a pay rise based on this years form but if he is so petty to threaten walking out at the end of the season then he isn't a player I'd want around the playing group and I'd be more than happy to take a tough stance

SaraSassypants

Juniors
I can't blame Cody.

All he was going to get next year was 260k. Heck he's getting 200k this year and he's our best player.

Gagai on 700k.

That isn't right at all.

Good on Cody and his manager for chasing this up.

Cody should be on 500k next season.
Gagai is not going to get 700k. It's 650k and that's after including TPAs.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
So I assume Gagai is gonna be our only big name signing? I don't really mind that tbh.

I watched sterlo's interview on Sam Burgess last night and sterlo brought up the twins saying how they've been out of form and asking what Sam Burgess thinks about it. Sam brought up an interesting stat on tom. Apparently from rounds 1-9 he only had 3 errors and 1 penalty. I haven't done the validation check yet but if that's true maybe the calls about his butterfingers are unfair.

DiegoNT

First Grade
So I assume Gagai is gonna be our only big name signing? I don't really mind that tbh.

I watched sterlo's interview on Sam Burgess last night and sterlo brought up the twins saying how they've been out of form and asking what Sam Burgess thinks about it. Sam brought up an interesting stat on tom. Apparently from rounds 1-9 he only had 3 errors and 1 penalty. I haven't done the validation check yet but if that's true maybe the calls about his butterfingers are unfair.
Errors aren't the only problem with the twins. The titanicly slow play the balls is probably a bigger problem while there trouble getting around in defence is a concern to

Rabbit toes

First Grade
Errors aren't the only problem with the twins. The titanicly slow play the balls is probably a bigger problem while there trouble getting around in defence is a concern to
Maybe if they adjust their attitudes everything else will fall in place.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Gagai is not going to get 700k. It's 650k and that's after including TPAs.
Oh good.

Nathan Brown was saying something the other day about a Sydney club being able to get the TPA's that the Knights can't.

So you reckon about 550 out of our cap and 100k TPA's?????? If that's the case I'm fine with that.

Re Sam he takes 800k out of our cap and TPA's come on the side separately?????

(He's worth the 800).

Rabbits20

Immortal

If Gray and AJ go and Goodwin retires we could still get another good back as we will have the money. Then we'd need another solid back as well.

Re Cody I don't blame his agent for taking a tough stance.

We should pay Cody 450k next season then maybe 50k TPA's on the side.

He definitely deserves an upgrade.

I don't think he'd leave either, it's just his agent playing hard ball to try and get a resolution faster which is what's happening at every club these days with all these agents/managers.

Also I think we will lose Gray to the Sharks.

Hunt and Gagai will be our centres next year.

Hunt's asking price isn't as much as Gray I'd say.

Don't get me wrong Gray will be a loss but hopefully we can cover it.

Sutto could be retiring too and who knows what's happening with Goodwin........

Clark could be going...............

Still a lot to find out and a few more buys for next year could yet happen.

Latest posts