What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

Itsamansgame

Juniors
I'll be over the moon if we re-sign Crichton. I think our Indigenous links could be the clincher.

This is a question aimed at more experienced Rabbitohs fans, but after reading John Sattlers book (can't recommend it enough) I get a feeling we're in a similar situation as we were in the mid 60s; signing up a bunch of up and comers after some lean seasons.

In 1964 we came last I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) but in 65 we made the Grand Final and lost. In 67 we took out the comp and won the next 3 from 4.

Would love to see a repeat come to fruition.
Was lucky enough to be at the 67 through to 71 Grand Finals with my family,5 GF's by the time I was 8.
I can still remember that era very well,Longbottom,Simms,Cleary,Sait the Branighan brothers,Moses,Honan,Pittard,Grant,Coote,McCarthy,Stevens,Sattler,O'Niell,Walters and Piggins were the players I idolised week in week out.
Will never happen again due to the Salary Cap unfortunately.

doyen

Bench
Was lucky enough to be at the 67 through to 71 Grand Finals with my family,5 GF's by the time I was 8.
I can still remember that era very well,Longbottom,Simms,Cleary,Sait the Branighan brothers,Moses,Honan,Pittard,Grant,Coote,McCarthy,Stevens,Sattler,O'Niell,Walters and Piggins were the players I idolised week in week out.
Will never happen again due to the Salary Cap unfortunately.

There cannot be any comparison to our today's team with the Sths 1967 team that won the comp--11 internationals[or future ones]in that side!!
Our side today is second grade by comparison!!

Itsamansgame

Juniors
There cannot be any comparison to our today's team with the Sths 1967 team that won the comp--11 internationals[or future ones]in that side!!
Our side today is second grade by comparison!!
No Doyen we were so blessed and privileged to have been able to be witness to that era.
There will never be another Bunnies outfit come close to those great days.
Honestly it was like the SCG was our home ground,we were there that often.
We had so many great juniors and used to win the SG Ball,Matthews and President Cup regularly,strong in the under 23's and Reserve grade.
Yep,those were the days my friend!

Travitoh

First Grade
Richie Kennar was going to be a good player. Unfortunately he had a bad foot injury 18 months to 2 years ago and that has ruined his career. Will likely just be a NSW Cup player from here on

Some players take time to mentally recover from a serious injury. It took me a full season of cricket to start regaining confidence in my foot after getting a stress fracture in it which wound up breaking.

Itsamansgame

Juniors
Some players take time to mentally recover from a serious injury. It took me a full season of cricket to start regaining confidence in my foot after getting a stress fracture in it which wound up breaking.
Yep,that's what GI has to overcome this year,fingers X.

burgibigbash

Juniors
I'll be over the moon if we re-sign Crichton. I think our Indigenous links could be the clincher.

This is a question aimed at more experienced Rabbitohs fans, but after reading John Sattlers book (can't recommend it enough) I get a feeling we're in a similar situation as we were in the mid 60s; signing up a bunch of up and comers after some lean seasons.

In 1964 we came last I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) but in 65 we made the Grand Final and lost. In 67 we took out the comp and won the next 3 from 4.

Would love to see a repeat come to fruition.

Yeah I read that 95. I actually posted similar thoughts on another site.

IMO Crichton and Murray are the two best young forwards in the game. I reckon they both have more to their game than Cohen Hess. Crichton gets some massive wraps in the media , but I actually think Murray is a better all round forward. Throw in Fuimaono and Talakai who I'm just as excited about and we will have the best backrow rotation in the NRL. These young forwards will bring out the best in Turner as well. I'm predicting a career best year for Turner. Clark, Sutton and Sam are all backrowers as well. Amazing really the talent we have in this position.

Jennings, and Graham will kick on this year and add some youth and a bit more natural ability and pace than Goodwin and Gray. Gagai and GI will be super important for the young blokes. Like Turner I'm expecting a career best year for AJ. personally I would like to see that at fullback , but his last couple of Months of Footy this year were outstanding.

I sound like a broken record, But I really think that Reynolds is the key to how our season unfolds. I'm confident and very happy with what Walker brings as a 5/8 , but Reynolds needs to lift his game to the next level. He has been very disappointing the last couple of years and was to be frank, shocking for the most part last year. He is the key.

Good times ahead.

rabbitohs95

Bench
Yeah I read that 95. I actually posted similar thoughts on another site.

IMO Crichton and Murray are the two best young forwards in the game. I reckon they both have more to their game than Cohen Hess. Crichton gets some massive wraps in the media , but I actually think Murray is a better all round forward. Throw in Fuimaono and Talakai who I'm just as excited about and we will have the best backrow rotation in the NRL. These young forwards will bring out the best in Turner as well. I'm predicting a career best year for Turner. Clark, Sutton and Sam are all backrowers as well. Amazing really the talent we have in this position.

Jennings, and Graham will kick on this year and add some youth and a bit more natural ability and pace than Goodwin and Gray. Gagai and GI will be super important for the young blokes. Like Turner I'm expecting a career best year for AJ. personally I would like to see that at fullback , but his last couple of Months of Footy this year were outstanding.

I sound like a broken record, But I really think that Reynolds is the key to how our season unfolds. I'm confident and very happy with what Walker brings as a 5/8 , but Reynolds needs to lift his game to the next level. He has been very disappointing the last couple of years and was to be frank, shocking for the most part last year. He is the key.

Good times ahead.
Agree BBB, I think Murray will be a superstar.

Very well put post mate, glad ro have you on board.

I think we have a very good squad for the next 2-3 years.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I was speaking with some mates today who go for other teams and they reckon for us to keep Angus for 2019 and beyond due to how well he played this year and how he really was our best in many areas that we would need to pay him around the 750k mark. I'm hoping for 700k and TPA's separately! Other teams will be swooping so he won't come cheap!

After next season though with Farah going that'll free up some money and with him being on 600k I'd have a young back up hooker like Josh Cook on the minimum wage of about 100k put up to our first grade squad. That Farah money would be used on Angus.

Now I really think we may lose a Burgi twin after next season. I don't think we can hold both and unless George pulls his finger out he may well go especially if we only gave him about the 250k mark.

Mind you if Cody goes very well we may have to use the money from George to upgrade Cody!!!!

More into the future I believe Murray will kick on big time and we will want to hold him too which means down the track we may have to let Fui go!!! Especially if Fui kicks on we can't afford to keep everybody.

Blossom14

Juniors
I was speaking with some mates today who go for other teams and they reckon for us to keep Angus for 2019 and beyond due to how well he played this year and how he really was our best in many areas that we would need to pay him around the 750k mark. I'm hoping for 700k and TPA's separately! Other teams will be swooping so he won't come cheap!

After next season though with Farah going that'll free up some money and with him being on 600k I'd have a young back up hooker like Josh Cook on the minimum wage of about 100k put up to our first grade squad. That Farah money would be used on Angus.

Now I really think we may lose a Burgi twin after next season. I don't think we can hold both and unless George pulls his finger out he may well go especially if we only gave him about the 250k mark.

Mind you if Cody goes very well we may have to use the money from George to upgrade Cody!!!!

More into the future I believe Murray will kick on big time and we will want to hold him too which means down the track we may have to let Fui go!!! Especially if Fui kicks on we can't afford to keep everybody.

If we loose a twin we will have to replace them with another prop and a decent one at that. It will probably cost us more that what we would save on Tom or George leaving.
We can't guarantee the young guys we just signed will be experienced enough to rely on in first grade too much just yet. Let's hope the twins get back to their best next year.

callmack1

Staff member
If we loose a twin we will have to replace them with another prop and a decent one at that. It will probably cost us more that what we would save on Tom or George leaving.
We can't guarantee the young guys we just signed will be experienced enough to rely on in first grade too much just yet. Let's hope the twins get back to their best next year.
Welcome mate. I bloody hope the twins sort their stuff out too.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
With Cronk likely to be going to the roosters the talk is that Jake Friend is going to be released from the final year of his contract. Does this mean that the roosters will pay for him to play somewhere else or they're just completely getting him off the books? Because I thought that was impossible. We obviously can't get friend as we're stuck with Farah on 600k but it would've been nice.

Rabbits20

Immortal
With Cronk likely to be going to the roosters the talk is that Jake Friend is going to be released from the final year of his contract. Does this mean that the roosters will pay for him to play somewhere else or they're just completely getting him off the books? Because I thought that was impossible. We obviously can't get friend as we're stuck with Farah on 600k but it would've been nice.
I'll PM you about this.

We are very limited in what we can say on this in an open thread....

callmack1

Staff member
Shortly we can expect an announcement...

I thought Sam was signed up for 2019 but obviously not.

Sam, George and Tom are all off contract after next season and we are gonna extend them all another year!!

I wonder if Tom and George will be on less money?? Maybe we will have to say bye to Cody Walker for 2019 onwards........

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ovember-1-feeding-frenzy-20171021-gz5ivw.html
You bet me to it bro. I hope the twins are on reduced pay.

Maybe that's why we've re-signed them now. Maybe we have re-signed them on a reduced wage and done it now because if they have a big 2018 they will want more. If they are on smaller pay, it's a smart move from Souths to do it now.

Rabbits20

Immortal
You bet me to it bro. I hope the twins are on reduced pay.

Maybe that's why we've re-signed them now. Maybe we have re-signed them on a reduced wage and done it now because if they have a big 2018 they will want more. If they are on smaller pay, it's a smart move from Souths to do it now.
Yeah hopefully the twins aren't on more than 400-450k each. In fact I hope Tom is on more than George. George currently isn't worth more than 350 for 2019.

Currently they are on 500-550. I think that's what they get in 2018.

Itsamansgame

Juniors

Sam, George and Tom are all off contract after next season and we are gonna extend them all another year!!

I wonder if Tom and George will be on less money?? Maybe we will have to say bye to Cody Walker for 2019 onwards........

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ovember-1-feeding-frenzy-20171021-gz5ivw.html
Good morning Rabbs
I have decided to try a new religion to stem my frustrations and move into a new year of enlightenment.
And to those I have offended,I offer my soul for forgiveness and may the news of these resignings bring harmony and peace to the universe.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

I totally understand resigning Sam and maybe tom but why are we so quick to resign george? He has had a massive form drop and resigning him so early may result in more salary cap problems for the club in the future. Have we not learned from our mistakes in the past? George has not been worth 500k a year since 2015. You can't try and say he brings more to the team outside of statistics either because he isn't a leader. George getting dropped from the English team is a massive red flag and I would've thought Souths would be smart enough to let him prove himself. I seriously hope he isn't on the same time of money as that would show we have learned nothing.