What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Manly have released Blake Green so that's a huge indication that Pearce has agreed terms

I've read that Manly are keen on Pearce but it's no certainty. The Sharks are really keen on Pearce. I would say that means Chad gets offloaded. My prediction is Pearce to Sharks and Townsend to Newcastle.

In my opinion that makes Sharks premiership favourites over the roosters.

doyen

Bench
Has he done something to your granddaughter old man?he showed several times late last season that he could set up his winger with quick hands,and he was in the top 5 over 40mts(digitally timed)in the club..and other than michael jennings burning him once in the last game(which he can do to anyone on his day)he was very solid the rest of that game (in partnership with robert jennings).even more so against will chambers when we got flogged!(chambers only ran for about 60mts)he will play wherever seibs puts him(front row included),would chichton do that for the team?

As for my g/daughter;I don't have a tagger on her! My grand-daughter,however,is a talented sprinter---she would leave FUI standing in the dust!!

Considering all the good traits you mentioned above FUI still only attained ZERO linebreaks,ZERO try assists & only 3 off-loads in 15 game appearances. When one throws in 29 missed tackles & only 2 tries he appears to me,anyway,to lack the class of the top class centre that we badly require.
He is best suited to the forwards,IMO,where he can play his hard,head-down & arse-up style which best suits his true attributes.

Scoopdog

Juniors
As for my g/daughter;I don't have a tagger on her! My grand-daughter,however,is a talented sprinter---she would leave FUI standing in the dust!!

Considering all the good traits you mentioned above FUI still only attained ZERO linebreaks,ZERO try assists & only 3 off-loads in 15 game appearances. When one throws in 29 missed tackles & only 2 tries he appears to me,anyway,to lack the class of the top class centre that we badly require.
He is best suited to the forwards,IMO,where he can play his hard,head-down & arse-up style which best suits his true attributes.
We can have this coversation at the end of next season if you are still around,my man!as for those stats,i know of 2 linebreaks(1 bulldogs,1 warriors)that he made.do you want me to send you the tapes for your vhs?

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Please--what are Fui's strong attributes that make him a good centre???

Are they--
scintillating speed---great hands---great passing skills-----the ability to set up his winger?????????????????

He is a last resort as a centre if we are to make any real headway;IMO!!!!

You do realise that Fui played a lot of centre before he was a second rower?

He's not scared to take a hit up, his acceleration is crazy for a guy his size, his defence is almost spot on for a centre and I think Fuimaono is better at passing than Goodwin was. These are all things that will develop with time. We didn't get to see his full potential as a centre as he was moved around a fair bit. It's hard to get comfortable playing in one position as a footy player when you keep moving around.

Who are the better centres than Fuimaono in the squad? I just don't think anyone besides Gagai and GI compares to Fui in the centres. I genuinely think it's smart to play Fuimaono in the centres as we have quite a few good second rowers in Surgess, Sutton, Crichton Turner, Britt, Talakai. That position isn't a position that needs strengthening where centre is definitely lacking.

It's just an opinion. I don't mind where Fuimaono plays I think he provides the most cover at centre though.

doyen

Bench
We can have this coversation at the end of next season if you are still around,my man!as for those stats,i know of 2 linebreaks(1 bulldogs,1 warriors)that he made.do you want me to send you the tapes for your vhs?

If you still have a VHS player, which you must, I would appreciate it-------my old mate next door still has one!!
I was quoting the official NRL stats----the one's you are citing must include a degree of viewer's licence!

FUI is a very handy squad member,a good player-----best off the bench to do the hard yards in the forwards & only fill in as centre if required due to injury! His utility value has good merit.

Last edited:

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Tyrell only played 7 games at centre this year. In that time he scored 2 tries and ran for over 100 metres in each game except for the storm game in which he scored a try. 1.9 average missed tackles is not that high if I'm being honest a lot of established players have much higher averaged missed tackles than that. Crichton's average missed tackles are 1.95.

I don't know about you doyen but I think he has a great foundation to be a good centre.

doyen

Bench

He's not scared to take a hit up, his acceleration is crazy for a guy his size, his defence is almost spot on for a centre and I think Fuimaono is better at passing than Goodwin was. These are all things that will develop with time. We didn't get to see his full potential as a centre as he was moved around a fair bit. It's hard to get comfortable playing in one position as a footy player when you keep moving around.

Who are the better centres than Fuimaono in the squad? I just don't think anyone besides Gagai and GI compares to Fui in the centres. I genuinely think it's smart to play Fuimaono in the centres as we have quite a few good second rowers in Surgess, Sutton, Crichton Turner, Britt, Talakai. That position isn't a position that needs strengthening where centre is definitely lacking.

It's just an opinion. I don't mind where Fuimaono plays I think he provides the most cover at centre though.

I think FUI,as you say, [& I knew], used to play centre as a JNR. I think those days are behind him now.

Evolution is directing him to the forwards where his tough,hard approach will be more beneficial,IMO!!

FUI may well end up our permanent centre due to the lack of available class but he will gain the posse by default,IMO, which is not a good sign for our team.
Maybe he has enough improvement in him to match the very slippery classy centres like Roberts etc---I doubt that but we'll have to wait & see!

Last edited:

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I think FUI,as you say, [& I knew], used to play centre as a JNR. I think those days are behind him now.

Evolution is directing him to the forwards where his tough,hard approach will be more beneficial,IMO!!

Watching Fuimaono run the ball out of our own 20 this year, I was just thinking god damn if all our centres ran the ball like this kid we would always be dominating field position. Reminds me of a fitter and more disciplined version of Konrad Hurrell.

Rabbits20

Immortal

Sam should not be in the second row.....

Our middle is soft without him there......

doyen

Bench
Watching Fuimaono run the ball out of our own 20 this year, I was just thinking god damn if all our centres ran the ball like this kid we would always be dominating field position. Reminds me of a fitter and more disciplined version of Konrad Hurrell.

Have been doing some research on Fui.
In the under 20s he definitely showed some attacking flair/ball skills.

Maybe Madge was a restricting influence;wanting him to play risk-free footy & geniusing his natural flair. I don't recall much flair in 2017 but let's hope Seibs is more encouraging in this regard!!

He's certainly a good,hard runner of the ball.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Sam,IMO,should be in the prop rotation playing long mins-----we need his authority in the middle!!
Bravo bravo......

In fact I'm gonna make a statement and that is if Sam is regularly on an edge we will not be making the finals....... just won't happen.....

We will be carved up in the middle and I don't know why others can't see that.... look at the very very good props/middle players for other teams for f**ks sake.....

Do they say oh we will move you from the middle to an edge..... NO THEY DONT AS THAT IS MEANING YOU WANT TO LOSE!!!!!

Like for f**ks sake Taumalolo, Klemmer, RCG, Brown, Bromwich, J. Graham etc......... are not gonna be moved from the middle as their coach knows that disadvantages them big time.......

It's blatantly obvious.....

If Sam is away from the middle the other 15 teams will be thrilled......... they'd say you beauty we can carve through them now which they will too........

If that's the case I'm going to go with a group of others to the member day and speak to Seibs himself like most will be.............. even a kid can see that.......................... a 10yr old............... in fact should take the 10yr old in my bay with us....... his Dad used to play for Souths juniors too and is currently disllusioned.....

We will have one of the softest middles as the twins are slow in retreating and Turner and Musgrove can't stop the post contact metres........ f**king Murray can't do it all.........

Shall we compare other teams middles and how they won't move threats???????????????? Shall we go team thorugh teams......I'm busy this week but I will find the team if the blindsee'rs can't see the blatant obvious......................

Roosters won't move Hargreaves away from the middle.....

Storm won't move J. Bromwich from the middle

Sharks will not move Gallen from the middle.......

Manly won't move J. Trbojevic from the middle.......

Dragons won't move Vaughan from the middle....

Parra won't move Brown from the middle.......

Dogs won't move Klemmer......

It'd be sheer suicide so to speak........... they want to be stronger in that middle........ we obviously do not......

I'd be interested as to what DKOR has to say???? Do you want a second rate middle without your best player there???? I can't understand the logic of Souths supporters some time..........

Last edited:

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

Maybe Madge was a restricting influence;wanting him to play risk-free footy & geniusing his natural flair. I don't recall much flair in 2017 but let's hope Seibs is more encouraging in this regard!!

Yeah I think if he gets a full pre season behind him at centre he could be a real treat for us back there. Tbh I'm really interested to see what our round 1 lineup looks like.

If Seibold does play Sam at second row I think that confirms Fui as a centre. Crichton and Sam are both 80 minute second rowers and Sutton also needs to have a go. Fui gets the most game time at centre and I think you want to be playing your best players in certain positions. Fui imo is one of our best centre options behind GI and Gagai.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Bravo bravo......

In fact I'm gonna make a statement and that is if Sam is regularly on an edge we will not be making the finals....... just won't happen.....

We will be carved up in the middle and I don't know why others can't see that.... look at the very very good props/middle players for other teams for f**ks sake.....

Do they say oh we will move you from the middle to an edge..... NO THEY DONT AS THAT IS MEANING YOU WANT TO LOSE!!!!!

Like for f**ks sake Taumalolo, Klemmer, RCG, Brown, Bromwich, J. Graham etc......... are not gonna be moved from the middle as their coach knows that disadvantages them big time.......

If Sam is away from the middle the other 15 teams will be thrilled......... they'd say you beauty we can carve through them now which they will too........

If that's the case I'm going to go with a group of others to the member day and speak to Seibs himself like most will be.............. even a kid can see that.......................... a 10yr old............... in fact should take the 10yr old in my bay with us....... his Dad used to play for Souths juniors too and is currently disllusioned.....

We will have one of the softest middles as the twins are slow in retreating and Turner and Musgrove can't stop the post contact metres........ f**king Murray can't do it all.........

Shall we compare other teams middles and how they won't move threats???????????????? Shall we go team thorugh teams......I'm busy this week but I will find the team if the blindsee'rs can't see the blatant obvious......................

It'd be sheer suicide so to speak........... they want to be stronger in that middle........ we obviously do not......

I'd be interested as to what DKOR has to say???? Do you want a second rate middle without your best player there???? I can't understand the logic of Souths supporters some time..........

The cowboys move Hess around from the middle and the second row because he's such a dangerous ball runner. If we used Sam Burgess like the cowboys use Hess we could see Sam get a Hatrick next year.

Scoopdog

Juniors

He has plenty to offer doyen.he just needs to settle into a position and work with those around him

Rabbits20

Immortal
The cowboys move Hess around from the middle and the second row because he's such a dangerous ball runner. If we used Sam Burgess like the cowboys use Hess we could see Sam get a Hatrick next year.
They have Taumalolo though and Scott in the middle plus Bolton and McLean....

They have a strong middle to be able to do that....

We do not........

I don't think Sam is quick enough and will get caught out on an edge too.....

I repeat playing him there the 80 is utter sheer lunacy of the highest order.....

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Let me put it this way R20 when you look at our forward stocks who are the best ball runners? In my opinion Sam, Angus and Sutton are all our best ball runners. If you use Sam and Sutton on one edge and Crichton on the other you're ultimately creating massive threats on both sides of the field, which makes it extremely difficult for other teams to strategise against. If the Burgess twins step up like they're supposed too and Murray continues to be a workhorse we don't really need Sam in the middle.

There's also a possibility that Sam wants to play on the edge and I don't know if anyone's taken that into account.

callmack1

Staff member
STID is speaking a lot of sense in regards to Fui. I prefer him at second row if I'm honest but still think he's great at centre and certainly wouldn't complain.

R20 I agree with you that Sam should play in the middle for sure. However, if him and Seibold think it's best he plays on an edge then so be it and we'll just have to see what happens. I personally think it would be a mistake though.

themacemaceman

Juniors
Bravo bravo......

In this day and age of hookers packing in at lock and centres defending on the wing , what's it matter what numbers on Sams back.
Just play him in the middle in defence and on the edge in attack.
Move Turner or a like second rower in to the middle to defend when sams playing wider.