What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs signings, rumours and injuries 2015-16 Part 2

southsport

First Grade
Brown was lrt go because eels offered 100k over what we were willing to pay due to him giving away penaltys but i think he benefited us with his mongrel enthusiasm which we will miss
These days you need to offer overs to get players that are seasoned first graders like it or not, we are not in the hunt for many because we wont this is a mistake
We need to replace tyrel and brown
Rowchow replaces carter so we are 2 props short and unfortunately we will pay the price backs we will be ok but this season our forwards didnt lay a platform i cant see any differences, sitting on our arses thinking we are right
Again our recruitment is F__Cked

We went OK in the last few rounds without Carter and we have Gosie to replace him, so Rochow is the replacement for Brown as SSTID said.

Anyone heard anything on Matulino? I was hoping he'd get a gig with Souths. Matagi is rumoured to have signed with manly.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Mautilino was rumoured to be making way for Foran at the warriors, with The Foran move hitting complications he may end up staying in auckland.

I don't think the loss of j.burg will be that heavy. While he is a great finisher, he had some big flaws in his game. He was suspect under the high ball, not the greatest defensively and perhaps his biggest flaw was he wasn't the best making hard metres out of our own half early in the tackle set. It's pretty much a vital part of being a winger nowdays. We could hopefully find a steady back from our lower grades, or at worse manufacture a centre from one of our forwards ( talaki or chrichton) and move hunt or gray to the wing, or *shudders* pick goodwin at centre.

As for our front row depth, i don't think we going to get 2 more props. Even 1 would be hard to do considering we already pay the most of any club for big middle men. Most clubs have 1 or 2 high price big forwards and make do with cheaper steady players. Sharks pay huge for Gallen and fifita, but balance it out with guys like prior, bukuya and tagatese. Storm have Bromwich, and Mclean would probably be due for a pay rise, but balance it out with guys like Finucane and Glasby. Even though Cowboys had 3 big named middle forwards, with taumololo's pay rise they've had to sacrifice Tamou and now make do with guys like Bolton, Asiata and Hannant (still a steady player, but not the Hannant of 09-10).
We have 3 highly payed middle forwards in the burgess boys. We can't really afford to go after big name props as it is. We need to make do with the clarks and boltons of this world. In the future we may have to let a twin go and buy 2 cheaper props in his place, but that will be messy and will have to be handled with care. In the short term we now have an overabundance of second rowers ( a huge change from the middle of the year when we only had Sutton and turner, now we those 2 plus rochow, chricton and Gosiewski have experience under their belts and grienke is now cleared to play) so maybe one of those guys can shift to lock to improve our prop rotation.

alien

Referee
Last night I watched a recording of the Souths v knights game and was left wondering how we will fill the holes left by the departures of Brown and Joe Burgess.

We definitely need another good prop, even if Rochow does play prop. We have replaced Joe Burgess by signing Burns and Jennings. One of them will take his spot. Another option is Gray back to the wing and Goodwin in the centres.

handyman2190

Bench
I think goodwin will be in the centres he has a great workload
Rowchow isnt a prop
Even 2 younger qld or nsw cup props would do

southsport

First Grade
We definitely need another good prop, even if Rochow does play prop. We have replaced Joe Burgess by signing Burns and Jennings. One of them will take his spot. Another option is Gray back to the wing and Goodwin in the centres.

Braidon Burns is playing in the NYC grandfinal tomorrow if you want to take a look at him.

alien

Referee
panthers feel asleep at halftime. it was 28-6 to panthers at halftime and now its roosters 30, panthers 28 after 73 mins

souths_reborn

Juniors
Mautilino was rumoured to be making way for Foran at the warriors, with The Foran move hitting complications he may end up staying in auckland.

I don't think the loss of j.burg will be that heavy. While he is a great finisher, he had some big flaws in his game. He was suspect under the high ball, not the greatest defensively and perhaps his biggest flaw was he wasn't the best making hard metres out of our own half early in the tackle set. It's pretty much a vital part of being a winger nowdays. We could hopefully find a steady back from our lower grades, or at worse manufacture a centre from one of our forwards ( talaki or chrichton) and move hunt or gray to the wing, or *shudders* pick goodwin at centre.

As for our front row depth, i don't think we going to get 2 more props. Even 1 would be hard to do considering we already pay the most of any club for big middle men. Most clubs have 1 or 2 high price big forwards and make do with cheaper steady players. Sharks pay huge for Gallen and fifita, but balance it out with guys like prior, bukuya and tagatese. Storm have Bromwich, and Mclean would probably be due for a pay rise, but balance it out with guys like Finucane and Glasby. Even though Cowboys had 3 big named middle forwards, with taumololo's pay rise they've had to sacrifice Tamou and now make do with guys like Bolton, Asiata and Hannant (still a steady player, but not the Hannant of 09-10).
We have 3 highly payed middle forwards in the burgess boys. We can't really afford to go after big name props as it is. We need to make do with the clarks and boltons of this world. In the future we may have to let a twin go and buy 2 cheaper props in his place, but that will be messy and will have to be handled with care. In the short term we now have an overabundance of second rowers ( a huge change from the middle of the year when we only had Sutton and turner, now we those 2 plus rochow, chricton and Gosiewski have experience under their belts and grienke is now cleared to play) so maybe one of those guys can shift to lock to improve our prop rotation.
I think that we are going to need at least one prop, who is at least 105kg to replace Brown/Tyrell. In saying that, there isn't that much in terms of quality that are available. Hence, I think that if we want any sort of decent prop then we are going to have to throw the big dollars at him. Its funny that you mention those Cowboys forwards because I think the likes of Scott Bolton, Hannant and even Asiata are severely underrated. I'd go so far as to say that Scott Bolton would be an ideal signing for us. However, the problem is that it would take a lot for us to lure him away from the really successfully unit that is the Cowboys.

With regards to having highly paid big men, I think that is more down to the brand of football that we play - with big forwards making in roads off the back of sniping runs from dummy half. Basically, we have adopted a style of football that requires quality big men and the Burgess twins provide them. You can also look at things from the flip side and argue that when coaches go to clubs, they often adopt a pragmatic approach and work with what they have got simply because many clubs don't afford the coach the luxury of being able to go through a rebuilding process; clubs want results straight away and therefore its a sensible move to keep the club's most talented players at all costs and adopt a playing style that caters for them. Therefore, what Maguire has done is realised that the Burgess brothers are the key ingredients in his recipe for success and has decided to keep them at all costs.

Latest posts