What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Radio rights issue and the NRL

iggy plop

First Grade
For the life of me I still, to this day, cannot work out how restricting your reach in the media can be a good thing.

By awarding sole commercial rights to a station, the NRL is giving competitors such as the AFL and Union a free kick. This year we've had 2UE call numerous Union games and even an AFL game. This was a station that was willing to devote 12 or more hours of coverage to rugby league each weekend. Triple M was willing to devote 6 hours a weekend to the game and so was 2SM.

How the NRL can ignore the publicity and promotion that comes with this is beyone me.

The only reason I can think of is self-interest.

The NRL, which is half owned by NEWS LTD, would want as much of the focus on it's Fox Sports coverage as possible. Take radio broadcasters and free-to-air TV out of the equation and that gives people more of a reason to take up PAY TV subscriptions.

And if that seems crazy, then have a look at Channel 9's current TV deal which does not allow for any live radio coverage whatsoever on Friday night to conflict with it's delayed FNF telecasts. How the ARL/NRL could have allowed this over the years is beyond me, but they have.

A self-interested News LTD is the main reason for the NRL's ridiculous radio rights decisions. They couldn't give a stuff about the real fans.

Somebody should force Gallop to sit down and listen for a couple of hours, the junk that 2GB serve up every weekend. I wonder if he could look you back in the eye and say 'I'm proud to have that station as the sole commerical broadcaster of the game.' A station that doesn't even bother covering the main Saturday night game - a move that Fox Sports would no doubt be happy with.

OVP

Coach
iggy plop said:
Somebody should force Gallop to sit down and listen for a couple of hours, the junk that 2GB serve up every weekend. I wonder if he could look you back in the eye and say 'I'm proud to have that station as the sole commerical broadcaster of the game.' A station that doesn't even bother covering the main Saturday night game - a move that Fox Sports would no doubt be happy with.

Post of the year, Iggy. Never a truer word has been spoken. Id pay good money just to see the expressions on Gallop's face as he listens to those pathetic songs ad nauseum ...

Razor

Coach
Hadley and co are a joke. The 4BC guys are even worse when they are on.

I usually listen to the ABC. Great coverage. Unfortunatly on Saturdays they usually call the AFL, and today the cricket is on, so no option but Hadley :(

iggy plop

First Grade
When the ABC does their sports update I usually flick over to 2GB in the hope of any footy news in the lead up to the games.

All I got today was an old women talking about ironing and Ray saying 'we've been talking about ironing for the last hour and this is a football show... oh well' This is 20 minutes before kick-off of the game they're going to call with one in progress.

No wonder we get furious. I'd love to see how AFL supporters would react if they were served this rubbish on a weekly basis.

It just wouldn't be allowed. Hadley wouldn't last 10 minutes down there.

Once again, Are you happy with this Gallop?

iggy plop

First Grade
Anyone got Gallop's direct email?

I'm going to send him a tape of Hadley's work and see what he thinks. Especially the stuff in the half hour leading up to, and after games where football issues should be the main priority.

Old women ringing up wanting to talk about ironing when we should have been getting pre-game discussion is just not on. He played 8 songs in the final hour of the program today. His show is turning away league people in droves and attracting 'variety'-seeking radio goers with minimal interest in the game.

I wouldn't have a problem with this if we had other commercial alternatives like we did a few years ago, but in the current "exclusive" climate, it is just not on.

zulu

Juniors
I have never been able to take David "Beaker" Gallop seriously since he and his mates made that stupid radio rights decision.

Not everyone get's their rugby league from the radio, but I do.

I feel I have been dudded by the people running the game.

I'm just glad I don't appear to be the only one. Go get 'em Ig.

ibeme

First Grade
zulu said:
I have never been able to take David "Beaker" Gallop seriously since he and his mates made that stupid radio rights decision.

Was this deal done by Gallop? I thought it was Moffet or Whitaker

greeneyed

First Grade
Hold on... it is not just News Limited ... how about Channel 9... it is 9 that refuses to allow Friday night football radio broadcasts AT ALL... NOT EVEN SCORE UPDATES.......

And it is 9 which refuses to screen more than two FTA games as they want all of them on pay TV, which they own in joint venture with News and Telstra......

zulu

Juniors
ibeme said:
zulu said:

Was this deal done by Gallop? I thought it was Moffet or Whitaker

Gallop did the last one. Moffat did the first one.

In remember 2UE kept pushing Gallop for a decision at the end of 2002, because they wanted to assemble their league calling team together.

Gallop had MMM, 2SM and 2UE all willing to pay a standard fee to call the games.

supermario

Juniors
It's ridiculos that one radio station can have so much control over league rights.

the fact that there are so many games that miss out getting on free to air tv, it is ridiculos that the rest of the games or at least a majority are not put on to the radio so the punters can have some variety.

maybe with the competition, hadleys quality may improve, then again it is hadley we are talking about !

t-ba

Post Whore
They are simply pathetic. Not only do the 2gb team fail to adequately cover the sport, but the only time they dedicate to it appears to be them pushing thier petty agendas!

OVP

Coach
taxidriver said:
Superb post Iggy.

Once it gets a few more posts maybe you should send it to the NRL

Finally !!

we've got something to agree on ;-)

You know....I dont think Ive EVER heard ANYONE say that having a single radio station as the offical broadcaster of the NRL is a good thing.

Hopefully when the NRL signs the next TV and Radio deals.....the current broadcasters are the only ones left not showing or calling the game.

iggy plop

First Grade
This should be turned into a petition and sent to the NRL.

How less can be better than more is beyond me. Especially when we are left with the utter slop 2GB trots out.

OVP

Coach
iggy plop said:
This should be turned into a petition and sent to the NRL.

How less can be better than more is beyond me. Especially when we are left with the utter slop 2GB trots out.

Lets do it

However you MUST ensure it goes to EVERY club's offical website, else its pointless.

iggy plop

First Grade
The thing is I wouldn't care what 2GB did if other commercial stations were allowed to cover the game as well.

Good old Singo must really love the game to death to deprive league fans of decent radio coverage by wanting to pay big dollars for the rights, then hardly talking about the game and refusing to call it in important timeslots.

Petition. I've already sent a couple of things to the NRL for no response, but maybe a petition will make them (news LTD) take a little bit of notice.

zulu

Juniors
Hands up who wants to hear silly juvenile songs repeated ad nauseum as the main basis of their weekend rugby league radio fix? Not me.

Who wants to hear a clairvoyant instead of a call of a 7.30pm game? Not me.

Who wants to listen to someone's agenda all weekend?
Not me.

Thank you NRL for helping reduce the greatest game of all into somebody's idea of a joke.

Latest posts