What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders sign Fiji 7s Gold Medalist

morningstar

Juniors
Bit out of left field. Good publicity for the Bati come World Cup time if he makes the grade...

http://www.raiders.com.au/news/2017/05/08/raiders_sign_masives.html

The Canberra Raiders are excited to announce the signing of Fijian Rugby Sevens Olympic gold medallist, Masivesi Dakuwaqa. Dakuwaqa's contract will see him join the Raiders for the remainder of the year.

Dakuwaqa played rugby league in Fiji until 17 years of age, before successfully switching to rugby union and making his international debut for the Fijian Sevens side last year.

A string of strong performances in Sevens' tournaments secured Dakuwaqa his spot on the plane to Rio, where he played a key role in Fiji's landmark first Olympic gold medal.

Having only arrived in Canberra yesterday, Dakuwaqa said he was looking forward to starting training with the team.

"I'm very excited to arrive here and I can't wait to start training with the team. There's so many good players here and I'm going to be able to learn a lot off them."

Raiders Recruitment and High Performance Manager, Peter Mulholland, is excited at the talent and potential Dakuwaqa possesses.

"Masivesi played league until he was 17 like a lot of Fijian kids do. The game is not strange to him," Mulholland said.

"He's a gold medallist and plays on both sides of the park. He's a big unit and it makes obvious sense to have a look at him and see how he goes."

Standing at 190cm and weighing in at over 100 kilograms, 23-year-old Dakuwaqa is capable of playing multiple positions.

"His experience has been playing lock and second row as a kid, but he would also be lethal as an outside back. He could end up playing anywhere," Mulholland said.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
[QUOTE="

"Masivesi played league until he was 17 like a lot of Fijian kids do. The game is not strange to him," Mulholland said.

[/QUOTE]

If this really is true then that Fiji NSW Cup team needs to get going yesterday.

jim_57

Staff member
If this really is true then that Fiji NSW Cup team needs to get going yesterday.

It really is a joke they haven't been admitted to NSW Cup yet, if I were them if they are unsuccessful for 2018 again look to QLD.

Great news for Fiji ahead of the WC.

How well does the 7's curcuit pay in Union? Could this open the doors to NRL clubs picking over the circuit or is the money they're competing against likely to make this a one off?

Pommy

Coach
I think I read somewhere he's virtually blind in one eye from pissing about with an elastic band at school.
You have to wonder if that's going to be an issue with the increase in tempo of league.
I wish him all the best though. Is he the first gold medal winning Olympian to play NRL?

stormbati

Bench
It really is a joke they haven't been admitted to NSW Cup yet, if I were them if they are unsuccessful for 2018 again look to QLD.

Great news for Fiji ahead of the WC.

How well does the 7's curcuit pay in Union? Could this open the doors to NRL clubs picking over the circuit or is the money they're competing against likely to make this a one off?
Not sure about the other nations but Fiji Sevens players get paid no more than $20,000 pa or it could even be $10k. Fijian dollars that is so no competition at all.
Not all are suited to league but Masi is as well as a few others but they usually get picked up by French Rugby.

hutch

First Grade
Heard he used to play in the back row, hopefully he can move back there as the one position Fiji have plenty of world class depth is on the wing! Good luck to him!

CQ Italia

Juniors
Heard he used to play in the back row, hopefully he can move back there as the one position Fiji have plenty of world class depth is on the wing! Good luck to him!

Kikau, Tariq Sims, Bukuya, Korbin Sims (Lock/prop exp), Jacob Saifiti, Sutton (if not 5-8th)...

hutch

First Grade
Heard he has gone back to a local team for the rest of the year. Scored a try in his first game for Mounties though.

Playing for Tumut in G9, which doesn't fill you with confidence. Maybe they want him to learn the game and see him as a longer term prospect but you'd think he could do that in reserve grade not take a further step down. But there might be some method to it.

morningstar

Juniors
Played on the wing for Mounties, been farmed out to Tumut to learn how to play in the pack. Probably will be the best thing for him in the long term....

http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/story/4691721/blues-strike-fijian-gold/

Tumut has picked up Fijian rugby sevens gold medallist Masivesi Dakuwaqa.

Recruited by the Canberra Raiders, in a bid to broaden his rugby league assets, Dakuwaqa has been loaned to Tumut for the rest of the season.

He played in the front row during the draw with Kangaroos on Sunday.

Tumut coach Jarrad Teka gave the Blues newest recruit a glowing endorsement following his debut with the team on Sunday.

The Fijian powerhouse made an impact as Tumut drew 28-all with Kangaroos at Equex Centre.

Teka, who lives in Canberra, liked what he saw of Dakuwaqa on Sunday.

“He had a good dig; obviously he’s learning the game,” Teka said.

“I thought tried hard

“It’s going to take a little while.

“Obviously coming from sevens, he’s used to having some space.

“It’s a different game.”

Teka gave Dakuwaqa a tough initaion.

“We played him a prop today; the poor bloke play winger in the sevens,” Teka laughed.

Dakuwaqa is an imposing athlete and caused Roos some trouble when he came off the bench.

The big man carted the ball up with relish and made one or two telling tackles.

IntRLEnthusiast

Juniors
Wow.. This is why a Rugby League 9's circuit contracting NSW cup level players and recently retired stars could really work. Hope he makes it long term but it does show that Rugby 7's isn't popular only on the basis of top talent.