What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random Discussion

Hey guys, might be good to keep all the random 1 page threads together in here. Also a good place to discuss random nostelgia, lists etc.

Who was your favourite wrestler growing up. I don't mean now, and I don't mean looking retrospectivly at who was a great worker then when you might not have noticed at the time. Who did you mark for? Who was 'your guy'?

I had a couple, I think my first two were Bret Hart and British Bulldog. I started watching in mid-late 1996, and used to hire tapes everyweekend, most of which were those from the mid 90s when Bret was on top. He was pushed as mega face and he won me over big time. Great wrestler ad great ability to make every match count. I was also huuuge on the Bulldogm particularly after seeing that match with Bret at SUmmersla 1992, as well as the 1995 Royal Rumble.

Others I liked, particularly as the product got hotter, were the New Age Outlaws (pre Dx especially), The Outsiders in WCW and I was very big on Chris Jericho (my mate was a big Beboit fan, so there were plenty of dicussions over who was the better vanila midget named Chris). My mate was a big WCW fan at the time (circa 1996) I wasn't really, but around 98 he introduced me to the character Raven and I was instantly hooked. I became a big Flock fan, was pissed as hell when they took Saturn out of the Flock, and thought Kidman was going places other than being Rey Rey's lackey and having a bogus fued with Hogan. As comes with the territory I was big on Austin too for obvious reasons, and Pillman too, though we didnt get much of him as we didnt get Raw ere until late 98, and up until then it was Shotgun Saturday Night, so I had to read magazines, get hearsay from friends and watch a mates' brothers tapes (he was a big tape trader at the time).

Who did you guys like as kids?

Also, check out my WCW 2001 diary in the Be The Booker section, and DB's take on Punk's recent antics on Raw. They're fun as.

Last edited:
I came on in the late 90's, so I was a big Hardy Boyz fan. Took a number of years off, then came back at the time Christian and Chris Jericho were about to start their feud over Trish Stratus. Became a big fan of both wrestlers then, and still am.

Big Pete

Referee
Good thread, will sticky.

Got into wrestling through my cousins and their copy of WCW/nWo Revenge.

Started watching around March of 1999 and was a huge mark for Goldberg and was always pissed off they never truly gave him the ball and built the company around him. Even as a kid, I thought WCW were stupid. DDP was another favourite largely because I thought he had a great match with Goldberg at Halloween Havoc 1998, liked his brash attitude (which I always thought the Futurama writers ripped off for Bender) and his music which until about high school I thought Nirvana had ripped off. I also had favourites for other divisions too. Benoit was another favourite although it blew my mind when I realised it was pronounced Ben-wah, not Ben-oit. Basically, his in-ring work made me a fan, you could tell he put in every week and usually had the best matches on the card. Kidman was my cruiser guy, although only post-flock Kidman because Flock Kidman was a dirty mofo. I just really enjoyed his run of matches in 98 to early 99 and always thought he was at least a future US Champion. Then there was Harlam Heat, what can I say? I was a fan of the spinaroonie and Booker T had won me over with his series against Benoit.

WWF was a little harder to come by since I had Optus so I only watched it when I'd visit the grandparents every holidays. My favourite was Mankind largely because he was just so kooky and you knew despite his lack of natural talent he gave everything he could. Then there was Austin, because Austin was just so cool at the time. Then Edge and Christian, largely because of their SummerSlam 1999 performance. I just thought they had such a good energy about them and it wouldn't be until later where I'd see the ladder match that would cement me as a huge fan.

Then the Monday Night Wars ended, Foley retired, Austin left, Goldberg came and went with little to no impact, Kidman floundered and Booker T was a chicken s**t heel and my taste in wrestling became influenced by the IWC. Suddenly I started following the careers of Shawn Michaels, Rob Van Dam and Eddie Guerrero and if you weren't having those sorts of matches then I didn't really care.

This all changed after catching RR 08 after having a s**t time of it away from wrestling and enjoying the show immensly. Since then, my interest in wrestling has grown to the point where I can watch just about any show and draw some kind of entertainment out of it. Not really sure about having favourite wrestlers, I just tend to side with who's on form so generally I'll go out of my way to check out Punk, Bryan, Sheamus, Hero, Edwards, Richards, Aries etc. etc. as well as enjoy the shows for all their cheesy goodness.

Last edited:

Whos Ya Daddy

First Grade
Cliff note version:

Was a massive Brett Hart mark as a kid.

Became disenfranchised with the mainstream product as I grew up.

Now an indy mark.

Rocky Rabbit

Juniors
Favourite wrestler was Brutus "the barber" Beefcake. Wasnt the best wrestler but loved it when him and Greg "the hammer" Valentine were the Dream Team. Loved wrestlemania 3 when after Piper beat Adonis he came down and shaved Adonis' hair

Next would be Bret Hart. How can you go past the excellence of execution

Whos Ya Daddy

First Grade
Trivia: Who is the only WWE/F wrestler to hit the Pepsi Plunge? (Top rope Pedigree)
I know it's a tick question of sorts but I'm still going with CM Punk. He is in the WWE and has hit the Pepsi Plunge many times in his career.

If you're thinking of Chyna, that was botched so badly it doesn't count.

Big Pete

Referee
WYD has it correct, it's Chyna, despite the botch she was the only person allowed to hit the move on Chris Jericho @ Survivor Series 1999.

The Jericho books are awesome.

MATT HARDY FIRED FROM TNA

Matt Hardy got done for DUI when his car hit a tree, and failed a roadside sobriety test. He was already under suspension for no-showing events and telling fans to email TNA to get him back on TV. The original plan was to have him and Jeff Hardy reunite the Hardy Boyz at Bound for Glory. Since he burned every bridge on his way out of the WWE, I reckon that's his career done (unless he or Jeff kisses A LOT of arse at TNA).

Big Pete

Referee
Hardy is one of those wrestlers who had he retired somewhere around 2007 or 2008 would be remembered fondly as a whole by just about everybody.

These days he's a punch line.

I won't lie, I am a huge Matt Hardy mark. But about 6 months before he got released from the WWE his life went way off the rails. The only people from OMEGA who are on the straight and narrow are Shannon Moore (who is more a square than he lets on) and Joey Mercury (current head trainer at FCW). What both of those have in common is they have been to rehab. Still love Matt Hardy, but the guy needs help.

The Hardy Boys whilst talented are pretty much finished. As Pete said, Matt is pretty much a punchline these days, and Jeff is a hopeless junkie.

Jeff will always be a top draw. People want to see the Swanton Bomb. Matt needs marks to like him, or the Hardy Boyz to reform for at least 18 months. Matt is in trouble, Jeff is okay for the rest of his career.

I don't watch much TNA, but after he came doped to the eyeballs for that PPV main event, have TNA put him back on TV? Will they (or any other promotion) take a punt on him again? He also has his drug trafficking business to take care of. He seems to be a real loose cannon.

Big Pete

Referee
The path Jeff is on leads me to believe he might end up like Jake the Snake.

If he fixes himself in the near future, then there's still an audience for him, otherwise he'll just be another sad story.

I don't watch much TNA, but after he came doped to the eyeballs for that PPV main event, have TNA put him back on TV? Will they (or any other promotion) take a punt on him again? He also has his drug trafficking business to take care of. He seems to be a real loose cannon.

TNA will take Jeff Hardy back because he is a draw. Matt Hardy at the moment is just Jeff Harsy's brother, he is nothing.

Eddie Lab

Juniors
started watching wrestling around taboo Tuesday 2004 - horrible PPV

seems I missed the best wrestling era by 5 years but it seems on the up lately.

Matt hardy is a douche and IMO has been riding off the coat tails of his brother and the edge feud for 5 years

It's okay, the British Invasion are still together on TNA. For how long I don't know as they are drawn against each other in the Xplosion Challenge final.

Edit, Sorry, it's "The Mag Daddy" Brutus Magnus versus Alex Shelley. MAG DADDY RULES! (For those that don't like spoilers)

For those that do like spoilers, MAG DADDY RULES!

Last edited:

Moffo

Referee
watched it a bit on ch9 as a kid (hogan/savage era) but really got in to it when we got foxtel back in 1996

first ppv was road wild.....saw medusa fighting someone and the rest was history. was addicted to it for years, always more of a WCW fan (i think i liked the fact that they were underdogs). NWO blew me away...nothing has quite matched my fascination for wrestling as when they were around. also was a big fan of ECW through these years and watched all the dvd's on tape

the takeover by the WWF was really the beginning of the hand. had hopes for what the WWF would do with it but as we all saw, was nothing short of an abomination. will watch the odd WWE show but really haven't been f**ked since about 2002-2003 at a guess. tried to get in to TNA but its a bit amateur hour