What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random Tigers articles from the media

Vozzy

Juniors
Triple M news headline....
"IVAN CLEARY ON MITCHELL MOSES PARRAMATTA CALL"

" I really havent thought about it too much ...ive got enough to think about before worrying about things like that"

That's the story....beginning ..middle and end....outstanding journalism..cutting edge
Good unlike the big 4 he is not going to feed those daily telegraph journalists any bullshit for them to write. Keeping his cards close to his chest.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Luke Brooks: I committed to Wests Tigers knowing rest of 'big four' could leave
Michael Chammas
Published: April 18, 2017 - 10:00PM

Luke Brooks was told that if he re-signed with the Wests Tigers there was a possibility he would be the only member of the so-called "big four" to be at the club next season. He still signed.

The Tigers halfback has opened up on the tumultuous past few months that eventually led to him committing the next two years of his career to the club.

It was only after Jason Taylor's sacking, when it became increasingly obvious Ivan Cleary would take over the reins, that Brooks finally decided he wanted to put an end to the speculation.

Since then, Mitchell Moses has signed with Parramatta for next season and Aaron Woods and James Tedesco have had four-year offers put on the table from the Bulldogs. But Brooks insists he has no regrets.

"It was just before the Melbourne game – I spoke to a few people and they told me there's a big chance not all the boys are going to stay," Brooks told Fairfax Media. "My manager asked me if I was comfortable with that and I said 'Yeah, I'm comfortable with it either way'. I love the club. It would have been hard for me to leave. I like the direction the club is going in. Obviously having the new coach coming in and knowing he's going to be here for three years helps.

"It gives us some security there. Before we didn't know who the coach was going to be or if JT was going to stay and all that stuff. It's good to know they'll have Ivan here for three years – that helped with the decision."

Brooks has heard all the criticism. He's heard the Tigers should have signed Moses instead of him. He's heard that he hasn't lived up to the hype. Deep down he admits he hasn't developed at the rate he would have hoped, but there were some challenges during the Taylor regime that may have hampered his progression.

"I think when JT first came it didn't really suit me but over the few years he let us take more control," Brooks said. "I think that did sort of suit me but I wasn't playing as good as I thought I could be playing and what I know I could play. Maybe with Ivan coming in it's going to help me. He said he can help me grow as a player.

"If I'm being honest, I thought I probably would have been a bit further ahead at this point in my career but due to certain things I'm probably not. Halfbacks, at a young age ... you see a lot of halves hit their peak at about 26 or 27. I'm only 22. I have a lot of learning and developing to do."

Brooks burst on the scene as a player with enormous potential, and was likened to a young Andrew Johns when he took the field at the Sydney Cricket Ground against the Dragons on his debut as a teenager back in 2013.

It was at the expense of club legend Benji Marshall, who shifted into the centres to accommodate Brooks. The pressure was a burden Brooks admits he struggled to deal with.

"For a kid to have never played first grade, get all that hype, it was ridiculous," Brooks said. "Everyone put me up high and said I was the next [Andrew Johns], so once I had a bad game, everyone starts to think he's overrated. People think I'm the one saying I'm the next Joey but it wasn't. The same people who said that then turned and said the complete opposite. I hated that attention. I still find it awkward.

"When I was younger and opened the paper and saw myself in it I would find it weird. Or if I was at home watching TV and they start talking about me – whether it's good or bad – I still find it awkward to listen to, especially when I'm with other people."

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-of-big-four-could-leave-20170418-gvmt7e.html

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd heard this last year. It made sense given Brooks was the most mature of the four when it came to handling the matter of contract disucssions.

He didn't drag it through the media and when he was asked he simply said "I'll sit down with my manager and figure it out when I'm comfortable doing so."

Then got left alone.

He doesn't have the overinflated ego of some players which makes him easy to coach. Which also explains why Cleary signed him first. He knows he can mould him and change his style.

BrotherJim05

Bench
I'd heard this last year. It made sense given Brooks was the most mature of the four when it came to handling the matter of contract disucssions.

He didn't drag it through the media and when he was asked he simply said "I'll sit down with my manager and figure it out when I'm comfortable doing so."

Then got left alone.

He doesn't have the overinflated ego of some players which makes him easy to coach. Which also explains why Cleary signed him first. He knows he can mould him and change his style.

I wonder if he had offers from other clubs? Either way, I agree with what he is saying. The pressure that we as the fans placed on him was ridiculous. He played really well under Potter, then pretty ordinary under Taylor...maybe Cleary can get the best out of him.

I've said this at least 1,000 times...Brooks excels with an experienced half alongside him.

Sign Widdop

Tiger05

First Grade
He seems like a really good kid. The problem is that I have my doubts that he is a first grader at the moment. He has a lot of skills. He has great speed and a whole bunch of skills. His game management and mistakes to quality plays though are terrible.

I hope he becomes a quality player. I don't think it's about having someone beside him who is experienced. I think it's just him coming up with the right plays. I think having a quality pack and outside backs around him will help him as well as a coach who can come up with good attacking and defensive structures. Clearly seems a lot better at tactical coaching than Taylor.

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
We need to determine what half he needs and the best way is to let him have full control of the game without Moses on the field.

Clifferd

Coach
I still reckon he plays his best footy as a running half, therefore a Cronk or Foran would be his best fit for a partner

Tiger Ted

Bench
He seems like a really good kid. The problem is that I have my doubts that he is a first grader at the moment. He has a lot of skills. He has great speed and a whole bunch of skills. His game management and mistakes to quality plays though are terrible.

I hope he becomes a quality player. I don't think it's about having someone beside him who is experienced. I think it's just him coming up with the right plays. I think having a quality pack and outside backs around him will help him as well as a coach who can come up with good attacking and defensive structures. Clearly seems a lot better at tactical coaching than Taylor.
He's certainly the only one out of the 4 involved in the soap opera who has carried himself well & hasn't behaved like a self entitled Prima Donna or brought the club into disrepute.

We just need to hope that Ivan can finally get Brooks to realise his potential & turn him into an asset for the team something no other coach in his 3 yrs in the nrl have been able to do.

Now that he has resigned with us a piece of advice for Brooks is to find himself a principled player manager !!

Vozzy

Juniors
Tedasco has spoken to the media a bit but he busts his arse for the tigers every week. Plus he doesn't go on Fox sports they come to him and shove a microphone in his face and he has given honest answers but maybe not in best interest from the club.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Hope Brooks can improve...

I think he has had some confidence issues in the past...

Farah and Moses have both been blamed previously for crowding him out of the play, but if he going to be the answer at 7 then he has to learn to demand the ball regardless of who he is playing with...

Ned Kelly

Juniors
Comes across as a level headed young man. I'd love it if he did become the next Andrew Johns.

Another article was about Moses asking Cleary for a release and being refused. I like it.

I would get him to front the rest of the team and explain why he would rather play for Parra this year than play with his current " team mates". Explain why he thinks Parra squad is so much better that ours to the point he can't get away fast enough and why he is not interested in doing his best to give the Tigers a shot at top 8 this year after the club and team have been supportive of him for years.

Clifferd

Coach
Tedasco has spoken to the media a bit but he busts his arse for the tigers every week. Plus he doesn't go on Fox sports they come to him and shove a microphone in his face and he has given honest answers but maybe not in best interest from the club.

The media has spoken to Tedesco. I doubt he's willingly invited the media out to training sessions, in the game day sheds etc.

At the end of the day it's almost impossible to hide from the paparazzis

Radical Rat

Juniors
I've always put Brooks above Moses as the long term option.

I cringe every time Moses runs to the line. He always looks rushed, panicked and short on time. Not to mention his kicking game is diabolical.

Tiger05

First Grade

Tedesco is so far above everyone else in the team. He is a quality player. I hope he stays.

Tiger05

First Grade
I've always put Brooks above Moses as the long term option.

I cringe every time Moses runs to the line. He always looks rushed, panicked and short on time. Not to mention his kicking game is diabolical.

I reckon he looks good but inconsistent. He has a good running and passing game and he can kick it. He looks a lot better than Brooks at this point. His game management is terrible though.

He also appears to be a spoilt brat.

Vozzy

Juniors
Where Brooks he goes wrong so many times like a lot of young halves not just him is they try a plan move and you can tell it's not going to come off but he goes for it anyway rather then plays what's in front of him. Best example is when he throws short hospital balls to Lawrence (cos at training Lawrence probably goes through but he is probably up against Naquima) who usually drops it or gets smashed when going out the back is the better option.

gordynz

Juniors
Where Brooks he goes wrong so many times like a lot of young halves not just him is they try a plan move and you can tell it's not going to come off but he goes for it anyway rather then plays what's in front of him. Best example is when he throws short hospital balls to Lawrence (cos at training Lawrence probably goes through but he is probably up against Naquima) who usually drops it or gets smashed when going out the back is the better option.

f**k that short ball to Lawrence, winds me up more than Johnson laying it off to Bodene...

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
You'll notice though that Aloiai hasn't yet built up the ticker to take on those short balls that Lawrence gets.

There's a reason for that play and its the quick play the ball that Lawrence generally provides.

gordynz

Juniors
You'll notice though that Aloiai hasn't yet built up the ticker to take on those short balls that Lawrence gets.

There's a reason for that play and its the quick play the ball that Lawrence generally provides.

Unfortunately he drops it half the time.

Latest posts