What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random Tigers articles from the media

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
If the club was smart they'd offer packages for fans to travel with the team

macnaz

Staff member
Im seriously considering it .. planned on going there oneday anyway so to add the experience of sitting in a crowd of yanks and their thoughts on the game would be a buzz.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
It's not as huge as it sounds travel wise, 9 hrs to Hawaii from Sydney. Auckland to Perth is almost 8 hrs, the Warriors have done that every year for the past 5 or 6, the Super Rugby teams do the same trip regularly during the season. For our guys spending 9 hrs sitting on a plane will be great compared to spending 9 hrs in a JT video session last pre-season.

leaguelegend21

Juniors
Hawaii is a legitimate island paradise. I try go there every second year. The thought of watching the lads run around and then dunking a few Mojitos on Waikiki Beach... It'd be the trip of a lifetime. I imagine a few of the yanks/native Hawaiians would be interested in going to. I imagine it'd get 20k plus. Hopefully we wouldn't send reserve grade plodders to ruin our reputation worldwide.

super_coach

First Grade
Anyone catch the Q&A with Pascoe and Cleary on the offical website. Worth a look, they seem to be really trying to build up a good team for 2017 and beyond. They also come across like they are both on the same page and are really trying to turn things around. Okay talk is cheap and the proof is in the pudding, but I really think these guys will deliver a strong hard nosed team from 2018 onwards.

For those wanting Hoppa in our ranks next year, they dismissed that saying they talked to him but he was staying a Dog. Cleary had said he thought that was a good thing as he had been with the Dogs for a while, sort of saying he likes a player who is loyal...I wonder if that was a little dig at the three egos. Anyway said it a million times, after the dust settles on a disastrous 2017, we will be in much better shape come 2018 with our new squad minus the egos

Tiger05

First Grade
I watched that interview. It was great. I'm not sure if it was a dig at the three dickheads at our club but it shows what merkins those three are.

I can't wait until we piss off those three merkins. They are bad for the team culture. I think we will be significantly better off without them.

leaguelegend21

Juniors
Justin Pascoe is a very smooth operator. He's been to Harvard, has business and sporting experience and respects the fans. A very smart man.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Justin Pascoe is a very smooth operator. He's been to Harvard, has business and sporting experience and respects the fans. A very smart man.
Jeff Skilling went to Harvard too.

Pascoe is a decent operator. I don't think we'[ve seen what he's capable of yet. He's still finding his feet. The decision to let Ivan have full control was the right one. If that had've been offered to Potter, this club would've been in a much different situation and not wasted the last few years (Obviously that wasn't Pascoe's decision)

I think he does have a tendancy to be attracted by the limelight of the media and this is the only criticism I have of him. He has been quiet for a few weeks now which has been good.

Tiger05

First Grade
I think it's pretty clear from that interview that Ivan doesn't have full control. I also think that is the right decision. Giving coaches too much power can lead to some shocking decisions. Fiftia was let go and replaced by Blair. Taylor shafted Robbie and that hasn't played out well for us.

I reckon there needs to be checks and balances. The coach does get to pick his team but even that can lead to issues (Taylor not picking Robbie was plain dumb). When it comes to recruitment and retention the club needs to ensure that good decisions are made. Pascoe mentioned some delegation within limits and that is all that is required for contracts.

Ivan gets to coach and obviously is a key person when it comes to recruitment and retention but he shouldn't be the only person on the hook. When it comes to massive contracts that should go up to the board and that is exactly what Pascoe said happens.

I also think that Cleary is completely cool with that approach. I've had jobs where I've been the one putting my neck on the chopping board but haven't had the support of my team and it sucks. IC seems to be given support and input but Pascoe, Egan and IC have to somehow agree when it comes to contacts and the team make-up.

Tiger Ted

Bench
I think it's pretty clear from that interview that Ivan doesn't have full control. I also think that is the right decision. Giving coaches too much power can lead to some shocking decisions. Fiftia was let go and replaced by Blair. Taylor shafted Robbie and that hasn't played out well for us.

I reckon there needs to be checks and balances. The coach does get to pick his team but even that can lead to issues (Taylor not picking Robbie was plain dumb). When it comes to recruitment and retention the club needs to ensure that good decisions are made. Pascoe mentioned some delegation within limits and that is all that is required for contracts.

Ivan gets to coach and obviously is a key person when it comes to recruitment and retention but he shouldn't be the only person on the hook. When it comes to massive contracts that should go up to the board and that is exactly what Pascoe said happens.

I also think that Cleary is completely cool with that approach. I've had jobs where I've been the one putting my neck on the chopping board but haven't had the support of my team and it sucks. IC seems to be given support and input but Pascoe, Egan and IC have to somehow agree when it comes to contacts and the team make-up.
I'm expecting IC Egan & Pascoe to become the most competent & successful decision makers re recruitment & retention in this merged entity's short history. Geez we've had some toxic no-hopers that have sabotaged this clubs progress !

Tigerm

First Grade

I think a selection panel (with the coach) should be looked, similar (I believe) that happens in AFL. Would stop dumb decisions being made most of the time.

Tiger05

First Grade
I'm expecting IC Egan & Pascoe to become the most competent & successful decision makers re recruitment & retention in this merged entity's short history. Geez we've had some toxic no-hopers that have sabotaged this clubs progress !

I think it already looks a lot better than what it has been in the past.

Tiger05

First Grade
I think a selection panel (with the coach) should be looked, similar (I believe) that happens in AFL. Would stop dumb decisions being made most of the time.

I think it makes sense to get some more input into some decisions. Yes the coach is an important part of the discussions but sometimes a coach can be blinded to a different opinion - ala Taylor and Robbie.

leaguelegend21

Juniors
Jeff Skilling went to Harvard too.

Pascoe is a decent operator. I don't think we'[ve seen what he's capable of yet. He's still finding his feet. The decision to let Ivan have full control was the right one. If that had've been offered to Potter, this club would've been in a much different situation and not wasted the last few years (Obviously that wasn't Pascoe's decision)

I think he does have a tendancy to be attracted by the limelight of the media and this is the only criticism I have of him. He has been quiet for a few weeks now which has been good.
I don't think Pascoe plays to the media at all. He has been attacked from pillar to post by the likes of Ikin, Kent, Hooper et al and avoids slanging matches and the like. He's been on TV once to discuss the recent developments and it was on League Life on May 4. He handled himself very well. Whenever he has an announcement, he speaks directly to the fans which is the best quality in a CEO. The guy is brilliant.

Ivan is excellent too. We are very lucky and I think we are heading into a new golden age.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
The last we thing he should be doing is responding to news ltd drivel. It only serves to quantify it and produce more shit.

The minute he stopped responding they gave up.

Lets hope that was a sign that he learnt his lesson.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Wests Tigers star Jamal Idris opens up on future after season-ending ACL injury
Adrian Proszenko
Published:
June 3 2017 - 10:38PM

Jamal Idris is off contract and on crutches.

Idris has previously proven these obstacles are not insurmountable but, having hauled himself back into the NRL after a long sabbatical, there are fresh questions over whether he will have the desire to do so again. Whether his latest season-ending ACL injury will also be a career-ending one? If the giant centre, having once walked away from the greatest game of all, will do so again?

Idris leans in, looks you in the eye and leaves you in no doubt about what his future holds.

"You want to talk about obstacles?" Idris offers.

"The biggest obstacle was when I did my ACL, took a year off and travelled. That's two years off right there. And then I came back, not knowing if I still had it. I came back to the NRL and slid straight in.

"I'd done the hard work. That's an obstacle.

"Especially after my nan and pop and uncle died within three months of each other. They're obstacles. This is not an obstacle.

"This is a challenge. A bit of fun."

It's not to say there haven't been dark days. Idris returned to the NRL this season after taking a "gap year" to discover the world and himself. When he ran out for Wests Tigers in a trial during the off-season, it was his first game of professional football in 672 days. He subsequently made five first-grade appearances in the black, white and orange, showing glimpses of the form that earned him NSW and Australian honours. But just as he was warming to his work, his knee gave way again.

Armed with a new perspective on life after his backpacking odyssey, in which he traversed 12 countries in as many months, Idris believes he is better equipped to deal with the "isolation" and "white noise" that goes with yet another stint in the rehab group.

"The last time I went down this path, there was a lot more going wrong in my life," Idris explains.

"I say 'in my life', but it's stuff in other people's lives that went wrong and affected me because I love them so much.

"At the moment I'm seeing a lot more positives than negatives than before.

"It is heartbreaking. Your mind says yes, you've only started to warm up and getting back into it. The last few games, I'd been playing well and that was just building up after two years off.

"I was like, 'sweet, let's put the throttles down and go for it' and then this happens.

"From when I've travelled, I was lucky enough to learn about myself and live with white noise. This is a different type of isolation, a different type of head noise.

"All the little things I've learned in my travels will help me through that process."

Nobody saw Idris' layoff coming. Even the man himself was in denial. News of the season-ending ACL injury came a day after the former Bulldogs, Titans and Panthers star attended a media opportunity to help spruik the NRL's Indigenous round. He spoke of his hope of taking on South Sydney that weekend, clinging to the slim chance the injury wasn't as bad as the initial prognosis. The next day he got the news he was dreading.

It's only after learning about Idris' family history that you realise why he was so keen to play that weekend.

"Indigenous round, that's massive for my pop, he's from the stolen generation," Idris explains.

"That burns in me, that game you want to play.

"Before my pop died, we sat in my mum's backyard and he goes: 'You know the worst thing that ever happened to me? I've been to a lot of different prisons, a lot of different jails, I've spent more time in jail than out of it throughout my life. The worst thing was when they took me from Kinchela Boys Home. That's the worst because they institutionalised me. Worse than any prison. You would get out and think you could survive or even thrive in this world you know nothing about.'"

The Kinchela Boys Home, run by the NSW government up until 1970, housed Aboriginal boys forcibly removed from their families. The children, referred to by number rather than name, were the victims of physical, psychological and cultural abuse. Idris' pop was known only as "number nine".

It is part of the reason why Idris' All Stars and Indigenous round jerseys mean more to him than his Blues and Kangaroos jumpers.

"No one wants to hear about the history of Australia because it hurts them," Idris says.

"Well, I'm sorry if it hurts you to hear about it, but I've grown up with it. My grandfather lived it. That's why rounds like that mean so much, because of how much my family means to me.

"We got to the point where, as soon as they passed, I couldn't handle it any more. So I left."

Aspects of Australia's history make for uncomfortable conversations, but Idris doesn't shy away from them.

"People don't realise that it was only in 1967 that Aboriginals were classed as Australian citizens. 1967!" he says.

"In the mid-70s they were still talking about poisoning the water they give to Aboriginals to sterilise them. It's 1970! You're kidding me. And people still have the audacity to sit there and say to someone like me that racism doesn't exist in Australia.

"One hundred per cent it does, you still encounter it. Me even saying that will make people upset because they'll say 'no, there's no racism in Australia'.

"But who are you saying it to. I'm sorry, I live it and it's different. You may not feel it, but I feel it.

"People like to play dumb, ignorance is bliss. But I'll be honest, I'll say it as I see it."

Idris lost three of his closest family members around the time he did his ACL at Penrith. He is leaning on those who remain to help him get through the latest setback.

Wests Tigers also are playing their part. The journeyman three-quarter made particular mention of chief executive Justin Pascoe, coach Ivan Cleary, head of football Kelly Egan and physio Peter Moussa for constantly checking in on his welfare.

"People think I'm upset if they want to walk out of my life," Idris says. "I've had people in my life that I've lost, that didn't want to leave and I'm still OK.

"I've lost things that I've never wanted to lose and I'm still here. I'm still OK."

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/content/adapt...-seasonending-acl-injury-20170603-gwjnb5.html

Tigerm

First Grade
Canterbury deny Australian and NSW Blues prop David Klemmer wants out of club over pay dispute
  • June 3, 2017 11:26pm
  • by Staff writers
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
CANTERBURY has denied a report that Australian and NSW Blues prop David Klemmer wants out of the club because of a financial dispute.
The Sydney Morning Herald reported on Saturday night that the giant front-rower had asked the Bulldogs for a release from the final three years of his contract, which expires in 2020.

Klemmer is reportedly angry that money he claims he was promised as part of his existing four-year deal hasn’t been honoured.

The paper said that Canterbury are trying to make sure Klemmer is compensated for the deal coming undone, but that “he is no guarantee to be at the Bulldogs next year.

13245468e7068b13bc79a7cab7a0373a

David Klemmer is reportedly unhappy at the Bulldogs over a pay dispute.Source: News Corp Australia
However, Bulldogs chief executive Raelene Castle told www.foxsports.com.au that she was unaware of any release request, let alone having denied one to Klemmer.

Klemmer said he was thrilled when the Bulldogs signed one of his best mates, Blues teammate Aaron Woods, from Wests Tigers.

But the arrival of Woods along with captain James Graham and fellow experienced prop Aiden Tolman means that Canterbury is top-heavy with front-rowers.

The signing of five-eighth Kieran Foran and the retention of fullback Willima Hopoate also means the Bulldogs are battling to be salary cap compliant.

3fce4d8ab57b2a447e1db52ffcafd64a

Will David Klemmer and Aaron Woods play together at club level?Source: AAP
It is expected that forwards Sam Kasiano and Greg Eastwood will be released at the end of the year to help ease cap pressures despite being under contract until the end of next season.

The SMH said that the Tigers, who have bolstered their pack with Kiwi duo Ben Matulino and Russell Packer, are in the market for more forwards and could be interested in Klemmer.

Klemmer is also close friends with Josh Reynolds, the Bulldogs’ five-eighth who will join the Tigers next season after signing a four-year deal reportedly worth $3 million.

Wouldn't this be hilarious if this happened.

leaguelegend21

Juniors
Klemmer and Woods' friendship has always amused me. They are friends purely based on their lack of iQ. Imagine hearing their conversations - like listening to two cavemen. Aaron Woods has to be the least articulate NRL captain in history. Has he ever not given an interview where he has given full credit to the boiz?

Latest posts