What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random Tigers articles from the media

Ron's_Mate

Bench
State of Origin 2016: David Klemmer almost left Bulldogs to join Aaron Woods at Wests Tigers Michael Chammas
Published: May 30, 2016 - 8:30PM
NSW prop David Klemmer has revealed how close he came to joining the Wests Tigers after an attempt from best mate Aaron Woods to lure him away from Canterbury earlier in the season.
Woods and Klemmer, strangers before the 2014 City-Country game, have since become the closest of friends and have been inseparable in the past two NSW Origin camps, having been paired together as roommates.
Klemmer, who negotiated his own contract with the Bulldogs before signing a four-year deal with the club ths month, held several discussions with Woods about joining the joint venture club.
While the 22-year-old wouldn't have been able to land the type of money at the Tigers that he did at Canterbury with a deal in excess of $2 million for four years, Klemmer says he gave genuine thought to the possibility of leaving the Bulldogs to link with Woods.
"Me and him had a yarn about it. There was an option there to go to the Tigers," Klemmer told Fairfax Media ahead of Wednesday night's State of Origin series opener at ANZ Stadium.
"I really had a deep discussion with my family and my missus most importantly, and we had to make the right decision to help me progress forward. Me and Woodsy have always spoken and joked about it, saying 'imagine playing with each other'. He just said 'how good would it be, we'll see each other everyday, we'll get married and run off'.
"It was tempting, I'm not going to lie. He's one of my closest mates if not my best mate. It was very tempting to go over there and play with him, but I've been a Bulldogs supporter since I was a kid. It would have been very hard to leave the club I've supported since I was a little boy."
While the Tigers captain was hopeful of negotiating one of the biggest coups in the club's short history, he didn't heap pressure on Klemmer to turn his back on the Bulldogs.
So close have the pair become, they recently had coffee at a Belmore cafe with Bulldogs five-eighth Josh Reynolds and Tigers hooker Robbie Farah just a few days before they squared off at ANZ Stadium in round 10.
Despite Klemmer, who will start on the bench on Wednesday night, turning down Woods' bid to lure him to the Tigers, there's no hard feelings shared between the pair.
"With players like that, you'd love to have at your club," Woods said.
"I told him we'd love to have him, but we just might not have enough money for you. I just threw it out there and said 'if you're keen, I can talk to people at the club, but if not it's all good, it's not going to change our friendship'.
"He's got a little family to look after as well, so it's awesome to see him locked up at the Bulldogs for four years."
Klemmer, who this year shared a room in the Blues' Coffs Harbour camp with Woods and Farah, has no doubts over his decision to re-sign with Canterbury.
He insists Woods was happy for him when he informed the Tigers prop that he would be staying at Belmore, knowing exactly what it would mean for Klemmer, his partner and his two young boys.
"Honestly, he was happy for me," Klemmer said.
"I've got two kids I have to look after. He was happy for me because he knows it's a business. It's a business, too, so you have to look after yourself and make sure you go there everyday happy. I'm happy I made the right decision."

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...on-woods-at-wests-tigers-20160530-gp7532.html

Clifferd

Coach
I still reckon he thrives off that Bulldogs pack immensely. At the Tigers he might not be as dominant but I'd still take him

Hopefully Woods isn't tempted to join the Dogs with him lol

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Wests Tigers debutant Jacob Liddle unfazed by salary cap drama likely to end his NRL season
Adam Pengilly
Published: July 10, 2016 - 2:56PM

Brett Morris at the double again as Canterbury Bulldogs run down Wests Tigers

Jacob Liddle was only six-years-old when his "idol" Robbie Farah made his Wests Tigers debut and remains unfazed about the prospect of a salary cap wrangle delaying an opportunity to play alongside the NSW hooker.

Granted special dispensation by the NRL to make his top-grade debut as the Tigers wrestled with a hooking crisis and second-tier salary cap problems, the teenage debutant will be forced to cool his heels in the Intrust Super Premiership or Holden Cup for the rest of the year despite starring against the Bulldogs.

It's a situation not unfamiliar to the one which plagued the Tigers after Luke Brooks' stunning NRL bow late in 2013, this time coach Jason Taylor forced to get exemption to play Liddle with Farah (State of Origin duty) as well as Matt Ballin and Manaia Cherrington (both injured) unavailable.

Cherrington is expected to be fit for the Tigers' next clash against the Dragons in a fortnight.

Taylor held court with Liddle's family and friends in the ANZ Stadium dressing room for several minutes on Saturday night explaining the situation, as well as praising the efforts of the former Australian Schoolboys star.

Liddle prioritised his NRL debut over a chance to play for NSW under-20s side in their State of Origin clash on Wednesday night and insisted he was unfazed about the salary cap drama. He became the 30th Tigers player to be used in the NRL this season.

"This has been a great opportunity and hopefully I'll just keep developing as a player and get a run next season," the 19-year-old Wyong Roos junior said. "We'll just see how I go. I'll play wherever they put me and I'll just give 100 per cent."

The mad surfer has had to bench his big-wave ambitions, now living in Sydney's west – "there's not that much surf out [at St Mary's]" – but doesn't regret the shift to the Tigers with many tipping him to be groomed as Farah's long-term successor.

Liddle, under contract at the Tigers until the end of 2018, had approaches to join several other clubs before heading to Concord and looks the brightest prospect among a host of No.9s at the club.

"They were pretty much the first club to offer [a deal to] me and saw something in me so I thought, 'OK, I'll go with them'," said Liddle, who scored to put the Tigers in front in the second half against the Bulldogs. "It's pretty much what it was. Robbie [Farah] and Matty [Ballin] have given me a lot of help and a few tips here and there. Matty has been great and helping me with defence and going through video with me. Farah is like an idol to me and I've watched him ever since I was young.

"[I met him] a couple of years back. He's just an idol – a great player – and a legend of the club.

"It was a bit of shock [to be called up for an NRL debut] really, but it's what every kid dreams of. I rang all the fam [family] and they couldn't believe it and they were stoked. It was an unbelievable experience really. It still feels like a dream."

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ly-to-end-his-nrl-season-20160710-gq2du3.html

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Matthew Lodge discusses NRL return with Brisbane Broncos coach Wayne Bennett
Adrian Proszenko
Published: July 21, 2016 - 4:36PM

Disgraced former Wests Tigers forward Matthew Lodge held a secret meeting with Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett to discuss the prospect of a shock NRL comeback.

Lodge's professional footballing career appeared over after he was involved in a New York rampage that nearly resulted in a decades-long stint in an American prison. The former Australian Schoolboys prop's Tigers contract was torn up after he was arrested for assaulting a man, stalking two women and telling them "this is the night you die".

The victims of Lodge, who was already suspended for unrelated domestic violence offences in Sydney, are seeking up to $US2 million in damages.

NRL officials won't allow Lodge to play first grade or even participate in the Intrust Super Premiership until they are satisfied he has served a sufficient penalty and taken steps to turn around his troubled life.

However, it hasn't stopped Lodge from being granted an audience with the greatest coach of all time to discuss the prospect of an unlikely NRL return. "That's true, that happened, but there's nothing we can do until the NRL gives him permission to play back in the competition," Bennett told Fairfax Media.

"If he gets the green light from the NRL, that's what he will be doing. Like all players that come into the competition, you're interested. We had a general conversation about where he's at and what he's up to. No promises were made, no commitments were made by either party. We can't do anything until the NRL makes its decision and we'll look at it after that."

Rugby league has a long history of welcoming bad boys back to the game after they've addressed their off-field issues. Bennett campaigned for Russell Packer to be given another chance and the former Warriors forward made an NRL return with St George Illawarra after doing time for a vicious assault. Two other former inmates, Danny Wicks and Manu Ma'u, have prospered personally and professionally after being given a second chance at Parramatta.

Bennett, who has handed NRL lifelines to the likes of Wendell Sailor and Neville Costigan after their off-field dramas, believes there are instances where rugby league can help transform the lives of troubled players.

"Packer is a good example of that," Bennett said. "There have been others as well, a couple of boys playing at Parramatta. They got opportunities to play again.

"It's up to the game, it's got nothing to do with us. We're one of 16 clubs and when a decision is made about his future we'll make a decision about where we want to go with it."

Asked if he provided Lodge with any advice regarding his personal situation, Bennett said: "None at all. I don't know the boy, it's the first time I've met him."

Lodge is playing for his junior club, St Patrick's, in Penrith's A-grade competition. The 21-year-old is keen to add to his tally of 12 first grade appearances but must now convince the NRL he is a fit and proper person for registration.

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ncos-coach-wayne-bennett-20160721-gqav55.html

THIS 2016 season has had it all off the park.

Salary cap rorting, sex scandals and extortion attempts, cross-code raids and boardroom stoushes, and that’s just Parramatta on a Tuesday.

There’s just one leg left to fill in the NRL’s off-field controversy multi, the bell tolling on a club coach before the season’s end.

Jason Taylor’s sensational axing of Wests Tigers veteran Robbie Farah on Wednesday is a make-or-break call on not just Farah’s future, but his own, and is effectively the starter’s pistol being sounded.

According to the Fox Sports Lab, rugby league hasn’t gone without a mid-season sacking in over a decade, with only two campaigns (2005 and 2003) in the NRL era being completed without a coach sacking.

Of the 11 coaches that have been punted since 2009, eight of those sackings or resignations have come in the final two months of the regular season.

The likes of Brian Smith (Knights in 2009), Stephen Kearney (Parramatta in 2012) and John Cartwright (Titans in 2014) all jumped before they could be pushed as their clubs floundered at the back end of the year.

Twenty-three coaches have left clubs mid-season since 1998, but thus far in 2016 we’ve yet to see a coach trade his clipboard for the lines at Centrelink.

Whether we last the remaining seven rounds with that record in tact will boil down to the fortunes of a few.

Taylor at the Tigers probably didn’t need his young side to make the finals to keep his job, having them show continued improvement could well have been enough.

But now Taylor’s gone balls to the wall and told Farah to hit the bricks, assured in his belief that his side performs better without him, and thus stands a better chance of making the finals without him.

It’s a call as divisive as it is gutsy. And given the regard Farah is held in by his teammates, carries enormous potential to cost Taylor once and for all the dressing room he’s never had the strongest command of in case.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...e/news-story/e9dacb0fcd961a4d7d078c7fbcfa5b97

Tiger05

First Grade
I just read this article:- http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ests-tigers-robbie-farah-20160721-gqamxk.html

Has a club legend ever been treated as badly as Wests Tigers Robbie Farah?

July 21 2016 - 6:55PM

In three weeks' time, on a Sunday afternoon at Leichhardt Oval,Robbie Farah was supposed to play his 250th match for the Wests Tigers.

The club has for weeks been making grand plans. The suburban footy cathedral would be turned into "Fortress Farah".
world this week.

In the modern era, club legends are rarely given the chance to be honoured in this way, but this would be a fitting celebration for a favourite son who has been through the wringer in recent years.

Then, on Wednesday, coach Jason Taylor asked his Kangaroos and NSW representative hooker to pore through some video clips. He pointed out deficiencies in his game, and then told him he was being dumped to reserve grade.

Fortress Farah won't be happening. The party's been called off.

More pointedly, Farah is now at the crossroads of his career, uncertain about whether he should dig in and stay at the club or look elsewhere.

Regardless of whether you like Farah or not, regardless of whether you think Taylor is justified in dumping him, there is something fundamentally wrong with a club legend being treated so shabbily.

In essence, Taylor is trying to manage Farah out of the club. He's been trying to manage Farah out of the club since he arrived last season.

On Thursday, at a media conference, Taylor justified his decision.

"I believe we're going to be better with Robbie not in the team," Taylor said. "Which is a tough call because we had moved him to the bench to enhance that cohesion again and I believe that it did that, but I'm comfortable taking that next step now because I believe it's in the best interests of the team."

Taylor would have forgotten more about football than this column knows, but it is becoming very clear that the coach is trying to blame every fault in his side on Farah.

In the past four matches Farah has played for the Tigers, they've won three. The one match they lost was against the Bulldogs, in which Farah was concussed after 15 minutes and didn't return to the field.

When Farah hasn't been in the Wests Tigers team in recent months, they usually lose.

According to those close to him, Farah is taking this latest setback in his stride – but he is conflicted about what to do.

He has a year to run of his current deal. Having taken various pay cuts over the years while the Tigers manage their salary cap, he is entitled to see it out.

But the temptation is there to just cut his losses and leave. Taylor will get his way, but make no mistake: there will be thousands of Tigers fans who will be furious at the way Farah has been treated.

We understand that 250th celebrations shouldn't influence team selection, but there's certainly a belief from some within the club that Taylor has decided to axe Farah by stealth.

Coming up against the hapless Dragons at ANZ Stadium on Sunday afternoon, a Tigers victory will seemingly vindicate Taylor.

Nothing lasts forever. Breaking up is always hard to do. But not sincePaul Vautin's messy departure from Manly in the late 1980s can we recall a club legend being treated so poorly.

Tigerm

First Grade
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...t/news-story/da4b5a35ee510f31bfa5e8282dcaa087

Wests Tigers hooker Robbie Farah shine in reserves as NRL stars and fans show support
  • an hour ago
  • by Staff writers
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
WESTS Tigers players were told not to answer any questions by the media about Robbie Farah but that didn’t stop them showing their support for their embattled mate.

Farah ran out on Leichhardt Oval on Saturday in front of a couple hundred loyal fans and friends as he played reserve grade for the Tigers.

In the crowd was Tigers skipper and Farah’s close friend, Aaron Woods.

Woods sat with former Tigers teammates Benji Marshall and Tim Moltzen in the stands.

8072f8f7c9ea70ce95de32768fb84141

Pictured is Benji Marshall and Aaron Woods watching Robbie Farah playing reserve grade.Source: News Corp Australia
Farah was set to do battle with Marshall’s St George Illawarra on Sunday before he was sensationally dumped from the Tigers’ NRL side.

Farah, who is three matches shy of 250-game milestone, instead played a starring role in the Tigers’ 42-24 win over the Jets.

And it wasn’t just Farah’s mates who were supporting him with plenty of fans making signs to show they backed the out-of-favour No. 9.

upload_2016-7-23_18-41-2.png

Farah laid on two tries in the first half to leave scores level 18-all at the break.

His first try assist came courtesy of a short ball to Tyler Cassel for the Tigers’ opening four-pointer.

8331699fa7ebe32e152876b1237dc820

Pictured is a sign put up by fans for Robbie Farah who is playing reserve grade.Source: News Corp Australia
0b2a0261b3b69dc9ac727d48d821eb20

Pictured are security guards making some fans take down a sign.Source: News Corp Australia
After the game an emotional Farah has conceded his NRL career could be over and says he has been treated differently than other players by coach Jason Taylor.

The Tigers’ premiership winner said Taylor’s motivation in dropping him was likely personal and he rubbished the coach’s “attacking cohesion” reasons for dropping him.

4963a637aa2d66c067122186b41f4afc

Pictured are fans Doreen Pan and Mathew Kee watching Robbie Farah playing reserve grade.Source: News Corp Australia
Only last week, Farah led NSW to victory in Origin III but according to NRL coach Jason Taylor, the team is better without Farah in it.

“We’ve got too many cooks spoiling the broth,” Taylor said on Thursday.

“It’s purely based on that. Robbie Farah is the NSW State of Origin hooker, he’s a Wests Tigers great, he’s a great player, but it’s just not working for us at the moment in regards to the cohesion of our team.

Farah was swamped by loyal fans at fulltime, who rushed the field to show their support.

fter producing a stellar performance, it’s now over to Taylor to show his Tigers’ are a better team without Farah. They’ll line up against the Dragons on Sunday in a crucial clash for both sides top eight hopes.

According to Taylor, Farah could still play a role in the Tigers’ fight for a finals berth.

“There is no doubt Robbie will be considered for selection after this weekend once we see how both teams (NRL and NSW Cup) play and put everything together,” Taylor said on Saturday.

“I would like to think we could get to the point where Robbie is able to get that (250) but we don’t know what the future holds.

“No one expects us to put individual milestones ahead of what we genuinely believe is best for the team.”

Wests Tigers 42 (Hunt 2, Addo-Carr 2, Cassel, Grant, Sironen tries; Hunt 7/7 goals) def. Newtown Jets 24 (Sene-Lefao 2, Moraitis, Drew tries; Capewell 4/5 goals)

Brad Fittler defends Jason Taylor

BRAD Fittler believes Wests Tigers coach Jason Taylor shouldn’t need to explain himself regarding his decision to drop Robbie Farah to reserve grade.

After the NSW hooker starred against the Newtown Jets at Leichhardt Oval on Saturday, he spoke out against Taylor’s decision to demote him. But Fittler believes Farah and the rest of the Tigers should just pipe down.

“I noticed he (Farah) came out after the game and made a few comments and went a bit too far there,” Fittler said on Channel Nine’s The Sunday Footy Show.

“I don’t think Jason should really have to explain himself. On the whole the Tigers should just close their mouths and get on with it, I don’t know why they’re talking.

“Robbie himself, keep your head down and get the job done.

“I don’t know why they’re doing it and I don’t know why they’re all talking.”

Freddie also suggested the club’s general manager of football Mark O’Neill — a former captain and member of the Tigers’ premiership-winning side of 2005 — was under more pressure than most because he has to answer to the board about the football-specific decisions being made at the club.

“Maybe he’s the one in the spotlight. He’s the one under pressure,” Fittler said.

“From the point of view he’s got to go back and make those comments (about whether Taylor or Farah is in the right). I’m sure the board will be asking him these questions.”
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/ro...r/news-story/d410c173089db862133ee33ed1ca7ca3

Mark O'Neill under more pressure
- interesting and he might be right there.

Tigerm

First Grade
RUGBY CHASING TIGER

Yet another one of the NRL’s stars is considering a shock code switch.

Wests Tigers lock Elijah Taylor is considering a move to rugby next season as salary cap pressure at the Tigers threatens to take away one of their best performers.

Market Watch can reveal the 26-year-old has attracted interest from several Super Rugby franchises across Australia and New Zealand along with receiving an approach from Europe.

After being granted a release from his deal with Penrith, Taylor has played 11 games for the Tigers, playing lock and hooker.

The Tigers are eager to extend Taylor’s contract but are heavily constrained by their salary cap hangover.

The Panthers are still paying a large chunk of his wage this season after Anthony Griffin released him after deciding Taylor was not part of his plans for the club.

It’s understood the Tigers have not given up hope of keeping the international, who has played 10 Test matches for New Zealand, but with Robbie Farah earning $900,000 next year and young halves Luke Brooks and Mitchell Moses agreeing to rich one-year-deals worth around $600,000 each, the joint venture can’t meet Taylor’s asking price.

It’s also understood Taylor is looking for stability for his career and family which means securing a longer term contract.

Taylor has a history with rugby having played the game at rep level until the age of 16 when he entered the Warriors’ system.

Averaging 63 minutes a game, Taylor has been a shining light for the Tigers, averaging 35.1 tackles per game and only making six errors all season.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Watch the club blame Farah's salary on Elijah leaving.

Not on the fact 1.2 million goes to halves who have failed to earn half that salary.

Wests Tigers powerbroker Mike Bailey lauds Jason Taylor's role in NRL finals bid

Wests Tigers powerbroker Mike Bailey believes Jason Taylor has made a case to be the club's long-term coach by handling the backlash that came with the dumping of Robbie Farah to steer the team to the brink of the NRL finals.

Taylor is contracted until the end of next season but for much of this year has appeared anything but a certainty to see out that period as controversy raged about the treatment of Farah on top of a six-match losing streak earlier in the campaign.

With the Tigers in contention to secure a top-eight position this weekend, Taylor's job is not only all but guaranteed for next year but he could find himself in discussions in the off-season about an extension of his contract at Concord Oval.

It is a remarkable turnaround for a man who, amid rumoured pushes for Ivan Cleary and Todd Payten to replace him, was under siege and tipped by many to be the first NRL coach sacked this year.

The Tigers' unlikely finals bid has delighted club officials, who give Taylor credit for the rise of players such as five-eighth Mitchell Moses and for backing himself on the difficult mid-season demotion of Farah.

"I've got to say that we're very pleased about where we sit at the moment," said Bailey, a Tigers board member and chairman of the club's majority owners Wests Ashfield.

"We've been through a bad patch but Jason Taylor has worked very methodically over last two years to put together a very good combination [of players], look after the best interests of the team and deliver the best result.

"The Robbie Farah situation is regrettable but the thing to remember is it's not a feud, it's about his assessment of Robbie in terms of what he can contribute to the team.

"That's another reason why Jason Taylor really does stand tall at the moment in terms of what he's been able to achieve with the team, particularly given we've been without the state's best hooker and in recent times without [the injured] James Tedesco as well."

Asked on Thursday whether Taylor had made a case to be the Tigers' long-term coach by exceeding the expectations of most this season, Bailey said: "I think he has. That's my view but as a board we will look at the longer term future on where things go. I've got to say he has been a stalwart in terms of delivering in terms of the things against him. One, with Farah and the Farah publicity situation, and also when the team struck a bad patch he stuck with it.

"I had people saying to me in the street 'who are you going to replace Jason Taylor with?'. I told them we had no plans for that and given the way the season has gone you can have no plans like that."

Farah has been widely expected to link with South Sydney next season, although Cronulla has been another suitor, but the exit of the club legend has hinged on negotiations about how much of his $950,000 contract the Tigers are willing to cover next year.

The Blues hooker is the joint venture's most decorated player and his dumping remains a polarising topic among supporters.

The emergence, however, of Moses as a genuine first-grade star this season has given even those still calling for Taylor's head reason to believe there are bright times ahead.

The uber-confident nephew of Ben Elias is arguably the most improved player in the competition and Bailey says the coach deserves at least some credit for the 21-year-old's rise.

"To some extent Jason tended to support Mitchell Moses last year, 2015, through some not so brilliant performances...he came good towards the end of the season, but early on I think a lot of his reputation had been built in the lower grades and there was a lot of pressure on him to deliver," Bailey said.

"This year he has been a true champion and has been a standout player in just about every game we've taken the field for. You have to give marks to the patience of the coach to have stuck with him along the way. By doing that, it obviously helped to build his confidence."
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...s-role-in-nrl-finals-bid-20160901-gr6gwu.html
Isn't it usually the kiss of death when a chairman or CEO comes out in support of his coach etc?

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Yeah I read that. Bailey is a knob. What are his qualifications anyway? He's an ex TV weatherman.

Wests Tigers turnaround not confined to the football field

At this point last season, Wests Tigers were also deeply invested in an NRL match in which they played no part.

Had Newcastle beaten Penrith in that round 26 encounter, the Tigers would have been wooden spooners. This is what happens when your destiny is determined by others.

A year on and Tigers fans lent their support to the Cowboys on Saturday night – albeit for 80 minutes – in the hope their side had something more to play for at Leichhardt Oval on Sunday.

Regardless of that result, the Tigers have exceeded all expectations this season.

Much has happened since that fateful Panthers-Knights clash. Coach Jason Taylor has made good on his promise to drop Robbie Farah in one of those career-defining decisions that has been justified. The Tigers fullback is now the NSW fullback after James Tedesco found form and fitness at the same time. And the joint-venture outfit was in contention for something other than the spoon coming into the final round of the season.

Yet perhaps the greatest turnaround has occurred off the field. The sometimes antagonistic relationship between Wests and Balmain has matured to the point where the latter is still invited to participate, despite its inability to contribute financially. The membership tally is expected to tick over the 15,000 mark for the first time come kick-off on Sunday, a record rise for a club that had never broken five figures. Game-day attendances, if the faithful pack Leichhardt, will represent the biggest increase of any Sydney club in 2016. Those numbers have helped contribute to this one: the Tigers are poised to be $700,000 net better off this year than last.

"Everything we are doing here at Wests Tigers is about operating ethically and honestly with the sole aim of winning back the trust of our fans and making them feel proud to be a part of the Wests Tigers family," chief executive Justin Pascoe said.

"For me, personally, especially coming from an AFL background, I couldn't be happier with what we've been able to achieve this year.

"But we're a long way from where I want it to be."

Like every other club, the Tigers have a strategic plan. "United team, shared dream" is the mantra for the three-year road map that will take the club into 2017. However, these are more than just statements scribbled on a page.

"When I came to the business a year ago, I personally believed the business wasn't mature enough or developed enough to look too far into the future," Pascoe said.

Which is why the strategic plan was broken up into 67 items. The progress of each is monitored via a traffic light system: red shows that work on that item is yet to commence, amber that it is in progress and green signifies it has been completed. By the end of October, there will be a green light next to 51 of the key objectives.

"We've got a process of following through on the next stage of the business," Pascoe said.

"We think this brand is enormous and the opportunity to be a power in the NRL is real. It will take continuous hard work and there's a team behind the scenes willing to do that.

"The board has been very supportive and progressive."

Those who committed to the journey at the club's lowest ebb have enjoyed it the most. The Tigers were in need of a major sponsor after Harry Triguboff finally lost patience. Brydens Lawyers are sponsors or membership partners of five NSW-based NRL clubs but for its principal, Lee Hagipantelis, filling the void left by long-time backer Meriton was as much an emotional as financial investment.

"I've been a Tigers supporter all my life," said Hagipantelis, who briefly flirted with the idea of buying a stake in the club.

"I've never made any sponsorship agreement or investment that I didn't gain some personal level of return from. It's not all about dollars and cents. For me to align my brand with the team that I follow is priceless.

"I'm extraordinarily happy with the performance of the team and the direction the club is going in."

Some of the credit must go to Taylor. The former Magpies halfback inherited a salary cap mess that would make Parramatta's "Gang of Five" wince. Regardless of where Farah plays next year, the Tigers will be paying a fair chunk of the NSW hooker's salary. While the issue should have been managed better, you can't argue with the results.

"He's evolved as an individual and a coach," Pascoe said of Taylor.

"That's showing on the field. It's a testament to him, it's a testament to the playing group and all the coaching staff."

Whether the Tigers achieve the most important goal set out in their strategic plan, making the top four by 2017, remains to be seen. That light is currently on amber. But there is an optimism now that wasn't evident when officials were sweating on the Panthers beating the Knights a year ago.

"I can't tell you the number of people who contact me on social media who think it is unbelievable how our team has transformed in a relatively short space of time," said Tigers chair Marina Go.

"What they've seen is the enthusiasm, passion and heart that comes from a culture that has been transformed.

"The job isn't done, but as a board, we are extremely pleased with where we find ourselves on the path of our strategic plan. It's exciting for us."
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ed-to-the-football-field-20160902-gr7z12.html

I can't tell you the number of people who contact me on social media who think it is unbelievable how our team has transformed in a relatively short space of time. So come on just tell us, was it just JT or a couple of others?

How many told you that the club hasn't handled the Farah and coach issue well at all? Because I think that number would exceed the number who commented on the team transformation by the thousands.

RUGBY CHASING TIGER

Yet another one of the NRL’s stars is considering a shock code switch.

Wests Tigers lock Elijah Taylor is considering a move to rugby next season as salary cap pressure at the Tigers threatens to take away one of their best performers.

Market Watch can reveal the 26-year-old has attracted interest from several Super Rugby franchises across Australia and New Zealand along with receiving an approach from Europe.

After being granted a release from his deal with Penrith, Taylor has played 11 games for the Tigers, playing lock and hooker.

The Tigers are eager to extend Taylor’s contract but are heavily constrained by their salary cap hangover.

The Panthers are still paying a large chunk of his wage this season after Anthony Griffin released him after deciding Taylor was not part of his plans for the club.

It’s understood the Tigers have not given up hope of keeping the international, who has played 10 Test matches for New Zealand, but with Robbie Farah earning $900,000 next year and young halves Luke Brooks and Mitchell Moses agreeing to rich one-year-deals worth around $600,000 each, the joint venture can’t meet Taylor’s asking price.

It’s also understood Taylor is looking for stability for his career and family which means securing a longer term contract.

Taylor has a history with rugby having played the game at rep level until the age of 16 when he entered the Warriors’ system.

Averaging 63 minutes a game, Taylor has been a shining light for the Tigers, averaging 35.1 tackles per game and only making six errors all season.

He only makes six errors because apart form his first two games where he operated like a ball playing lock, he's been shoehorned into a defensive lock role. It's criminal that if you were going to move on a player like Farah that you'd nullify a player of Taylor's ability by your own hand.

macnaz

Staff member
He averaged the most miss tackles from our whole forward squad .. gift horse etc. If he wants to go cya later .

BrotherJim05

Bench
If ET leaves we are f**king screwed. Everyone reckons our mid-season revival was due to Farah not playing but I think it largely had to do with ET coming into the side

Tigerm

First Grade
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-new-dimension-to-souths-20160916-gri8fq.html

Wests Tigers captain Aaron Woods says Robbie Farah will add new dimension to Souths

Wests Tigers captain Aaron Woods believes Robbie Farah will provide a new spark to a South Sydney side that endured an indifferent season in 2016, saying he was pleased the State of Origin hooker was getting a fresh start at Redfern.

The interminable Farah saga at the Tigers officially drew to a close with Souths' announcement that the 32-year-old would be joining them on a two-year contract.

Woods, the premiership player's successor as Tigers skipper, said on Friday Farah could bring a new dimension to the attack of Souths, who despite a strong finish to the season finished 12th.

"He's a champion player and one of the fittest blokes I've ever played with. He looks after his body perfectly and he's one of the smartest footy brains I've played with as well," Woods said.

"He sees things other players don't see sometimes and he tips up his halves. I think he'll go to a new [level] and you've got to rip in, you've got to get on the right foot straight away with the new coach and show all the other boys you're there to make a difference, not just to make up the numbers.

"I think he'll just be able to guide them in games a lot more. No disrespect to Cameron McInnes [who has left Souths for St George Illawarra], he was only young. But Robbie does offer a lot more. He's a lot more attacking out of dummy-half so I think a lot more of their shapes will come off hooker now whereas they normally come off the halves or Greggy [Inglis] out the back. He just adds another dimension to Souths."
Woods believes Farah will be back at the Tigers – where he had a 14-year NRL career – in some capacity in the future, and there have already been suggestions about a post-career ambassadorial role with the club.

For now, though, the hooker is intent on making the most of his new opportunity and it's clear that other than when he is up against the Tigers themselves, Woods will be behind him.

"He'll probably see out his time at Souths and he might go to England as well, just depending on how his body holds up, or he might get some more years at Souths or you never know he might [play] at another club," Woods said.

"But I do see him coming back. Like Dene Halatau, like Pat Richards ... they won the comp in '05, the only comp Wests Tigers has won. He's one of the best if not the best [in the history of] Wests Tigers, him and Benji [Marshall].

"He didn't really want to leave the club but things happen and he's there now and he'll be ready for a big year in 2017."
Looks like Woods didn't see him as a negative

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...new-dimension-to-souths-20160916-gri8fq.html#

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...new-dimension-to-souths-20160916-gri8fq.html#