What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raper in CA out...

Aries

Bench
So the press says!

It actually hasn't happened yet btw, it's just all "bled to the press" BS as far as I'm concerned...

CA is off to coach the Kangaroo's for a few months and won't be back till December.

Here's a question for the "blind CA followers"

Will you give Stuart Raper the same "blind" following for 2004, if CA is dumped/leaves?

Cheer the Coach, cheer the Team... that is what most of you have professed!

It will be interesting, and I am sure I will see strict "CA" followers emerge that said they cheered the "club", yet hate the SR selection.

Especially ppl like Jimbo, Missbelinda77, and anyone else that signed up in the "for CA" thread...

Prove me wrong and state where you do stand on this... ;-)

Jimbo

Immortal
I will buy a season ticket. I will attend every home game, and as many of the away games as my budget will allow me to. And I will cheer the team just as passionately as I did this year.

But I won't feel as confident.

What about you Aries? Supposing an outbreak of common sense sweeps through the board adn Anderson stays, what will you do? Support the Panthers like your mate Blacktip?

Aries

Bench
Jimbo said:
I will buy a season ticket. I will attend every home game, and as many of the away games as my budget will allow me to. And I will cheer the team just as passionately as I did this year.

But I won't feel as confident.

What about you Aries? Supposing an outbreak of common sense sweeps through the board adn Anderson stays, what will you do? Support the Panthers like your mate Blacktip?

I voted for CA in the POLL I started ;-)

Monitary payout was my main reason though...

I will always cheer for the Sharks in every game and hope they win. I did against Penrith this year, even after my Penulla jibes!

Picking the Sharks in a tipping comp is a total other matter :D

What I'm waiting to see is if the "blind CA haters" will stoutly cheer a "Look to the future" type argument.

That will taste rather ironic I'm guessing.

shadowboxer

First Grade
i might just start to do the done thing. That is sit at home at your computer and bitch instead of going to the games and bagging the filth out of your team. After 30 odd years im worn out . Can anyone change my mind not to sell the farm and move up the coast and give up the sharks and get on with my life. Nah dont think so, rather stick around and watch the car accident happen.

WHY???

Macca

Coach
Well, I loved John Lang and I supported Chris Anderson and his wipe the slate clean and start over tactic even though I didn't like it at first. If CA is not there next year I think it is a mistake. Raper will do well due to the recruitment by CA and he will soak up all the credit just as John Lang is doing in Royce Simmons job.

I hope the Sharks win the comp under any coach but let me provide this little analogy.

I liken coaches to jockeys and the players to horses. The best jockey in the world can't get the worst horse up. But a terrble jockey just has to hang on to get a chmpion horse home. ie Wayne Bennett. He's never coached a side without established champions on the field for him.

Aries

Bench
McSharkie said:
Well, I loved John Lang and I supported Chris Anderson and his wipe the slate clean and start over tactic even though I didn't like it at first. If CA is not there next year I think it is a mistake. Raper will do well due to the recruitment by CA and he will soak up all the credit just as John Lang is doing in Royce Simmons job.

I hope the Sharks win the comp under any coach but let me provide this little analogy.

I liken coaches to jockeys and the players to horses. The best jockey in the world can't get the worst horse up. But a terrble jockey just has to hang on to get a chmpion horse home. ie Wayne Bennett. He's never coached a side without established champions on the field for him.

Your analogy leaves out the "TRAINER". In this analogy, CA is the trainer...

The Trainer has to get the horse up to speed and stay the distance, then to come home with a burst!

Macca

Coach
Aries said:
McSharkie said:

Your analogy leaves out the "TRAINER". In this analogy, CA is the trainer...

The Trainer has to get the horse up to speed and stay the distance, then to come home with a burst!

No actually CA is the jockey, like I said. I liken coaches to jockeys. Perhaps you should read things a bit more carefully. Having a trainer in my analogy would make it absurd as it removes the relationship between coach and player which was what i was trying to highlight. But if you wish I can say this, even the best trainer in the world can't get a donkey to win the Cox plate.

My point is pretty simple really, the coach can't win without the cattle. CA didn't have them this year but things look better for next year. Thats it.

Anonymous

Juniors
McSharkie - I think what Aries is trying to point out is that a good coach should have some part in the development of his players. Its all good and well to say Bennett has had the best cattle... but who turned them into the best cattle? Bennett, of course.

Macca

Coach
No, he didn't. They have been developed well before they get to him, he just selects who gets to play first grade out of a whole state. When he was at Canberra he had established stars like Meninga, Belcher, Jackson, etc.

At Brisbane he started with guys like Lewis, Langer, Shearer, Dowling, Miles etc. How hard would they be to coach?

I am sure he has alot to do with motivation and tactics but he has never been proven at a weaker club has he? Get him to coach Souths and see how he goes.

Once again, you are not seeing my point. You can't win without talented players. You can't develop a Donkey into a Cox plate winner.