What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rapes & Vagana?

mullet

Juniors
yeh im not fussed on coffs. I dont rate port maq either. If you want a little paradise go to pacific palms

cheese

Bench
blacktip-reefy said:
What did you do stop at every driver reviiver on the way? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Does some sh1tty pub at coffs count?! :lol: .......yea, 9's probably closer to the mark. Its a solid 9 though, my ass felt like it had just gone 12 rounds with sullyfan when i got out of the car.

You're a lucky barstrich though reef, if you've got property or whatnot up there. That pub at lennox, and that pub with that beast of a beer garden in byron(the palace(?)) are definitely in my top 5. The waves and chicks(the ones without hairy pits and legs) are perfection. If it wasnt for all the f**king hippes, the place would be gold.

And, damn straight, SS. What a sh1thole, its Mt Druitt by the sea..........

beerboy

Juniors
cheese said:
McSharkie said:
It's a 7 1/2 hour drive from the shire.

And the rest :shock: .....I reckon it took me closer to 11 to get lismore last year. I also managed to lose my license on that trip, so as you can imagine, i wasnt driving miss daisy, yet it still took aaaages.

Not that its got to do with anything, but that strecth of coast from ballina to byron has to be one of the best spots in the world i reckon.

yeah Lennox Head is on that, its a really nice place and the Southern Point has the best view

cheese

Bench
Ya mullet. Port maquarie is pretty slummy too. I usually go up there every year for the touch footy state cup. There's usually plenty of youngish people up there for it, but its still sh1te. The clubs up there make hunters look like northies.

I went up there for new years eve 2000 aswell, and i gotta say, even though its a sh1thole, it was still one of the best weeks of my life. Maybe thats got a lot to do with the copious amounts of pizz consumed though. I remember doing a david hasslehoff and rescueing some chick and her son that were almost drowning in the rip there too. I had 20 maggot mates cheering me on from the beach, haha it was priceless............ahh the memories *sigh*

err, oops ....back to topic

cheese

Bench
beerboy said:
cheese said:
McSharkie said:
It's a 7 1/2 hour drive from the shire.

And the rest :shock: .....I reckon it took me closer to 11 to get lismore last year. I also managed to lose my license on that trip, so as you can imagine, i wasnt driving miss daisy, yet it still took aaaages.

Not that its got to do with anything, but that strecth of coast from ballina to byron has to be one of the best spots in the world i reckon.

yeah Lennox Head is on that, its a really nice place and the Southern Point has the best view
Yea man....Lennox is the shiznitski

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Not too big on lennox. But great waves at the point. Stable rocky base means the banks & shape of the break rarely change.
But the general beach is crap.
North wall Ballina is great very similar to D-bah.
Then you got flat Rock, Boulders, broken Head, suffolk cosy corner.
From Belongil to North Wall, there is nearly always somewhere that has a wave.
& the water is already 2 degees warmer up there than down here.

The top pub is what the locals refer to John Cornells "Beach Hotel" Cheese.
Every night is Saturday night, all year round.
Apparently it turned over a million Dollars in 4 days last summer.
It the next closest think to the Australian Mint.

There could be worse trips to do than a weekend at ballina/byron watching the Sharkies, surfing, getting pzzed.
I'll guarantee you both teams will be at the Top Pub after the match for the Sunday session. Never ending parade of stars in that joint.

PJ

First Grade
I'm at the Gold Coast that weekend, anyone know how long a drive it is down to Ballina?

carcharias

Immortal
I stopped into Byron with a couple of mates during easter last year and it was an endless parade of unorthidox sandal wearing packpackers trying to get me to go to some sort of evening shindig . One severe hangover after the next with shite waves and a massive over population problem.
My mate who had never been there before muttered something like "f*** off you f******* psuedo faux hippie pommie human impersonater to a street hawker with a braded bangle.
Then earlier this year I went back during the off season and was pleasently suprised the crowd was halved and the beach hotel went off on the sunday night . The waves were great , I can probably negotiate my way around town now without being completely at a loss to which direction is which. I think Byron is all in the timing.
Ballina is for the mums and dads and grand parents from the impression I got.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Depends where on the Gold Coast.
I'll give you airport times.
When leaving the airport, turn right. Don't make another turn for 40 minutes. Just folow the new freeway straight to the Byron turnoff.
From there, it is another 20minutes to Ballina via the P/hway.
But, I would highly recommend turning left there & going into Byron & then following the coast road down to ballina.
At worst this drive will take you 30 minutes.
At best, it will take 7 days.
Read into that what I think of that 30km stretch.

& Cacha, where did you find the waves when you were there?
& by the way, never go to Byron during Easter. It always rains & it is is feralville with all the blues festival people in town.
Christmas is a nightmare as well.
In june there is a festival called splendour in the Grass at Belongil fields. It was a quagmire this year, but it is probably the best annual outdoor concert now.

cheese

Bench
I was there for the blues and roots festival a couple of years ago, but i found the joint was packed with too many manky hippies......

<-f**king hates hippies

But when i went last year, it was during a week in august and it was perfection. The weather was still pretty cold, but the swell was solid 3-5 for the whole week, the skys were as blue as ive seen them, and the wind was non-existent ......... it was heaven on earth.

Sounds like you know the spots grief. I didnt really know where the fug i was going..... I surfed some beachie in ballina which was pretty sh1t, the banks were weird, it was like it was high tide, even though it was low tide. But lennox head was schweet, it was pretty packed for midweek winter though, i'd hate to see it mid summer, you gotta feel sorry for the locals.

And the beach hotel .....what a place...........that million dollar figure doesnt surprise me at all reefy. Even at midday on a wednesday, in winter, the place was close to chokka's. And the chicks in that joint ....whoa !!!

Macca

Coach
My mind is made up then. Road trip to Ballina next Feb!! Can't wait to get into this Beach Hotel.

ShireShark said:
McSharkie said:
Yeah, sorry, I was thinking of Coffs Harbour. About 9hrs to Ballina.

Coffs Harbour. I had to go up there for work a month or two ago. What a complete dump, a waste of space. I was expecting some sort of paradise but I found a town in the midst of a permanent recession. Unemployment sky high. Needle bins on the street. Shifty looking couples walking the streets at night. Zero night life. No young people.

It was sort of like attending a footy match at Kogarah or Campbelltown.

I live and work in Coffs. The locals have tried to convince me that Coffs is God's country. I tell them that the Sutho Shire is the only true example of god's country.

Here's a poem I tried to get published in the Coffs Harbour Advocate

Coffs Harbour

Take away heart attacks
on cholesterol corner,

isolation and depression living
in crowded Hibbard Houses.

Herds of Conformodores and Falcons
graze vast bitumen fields,

at Woolies, the scanners blip
and check out operators
exchange platitude
‘how are you’s?’

Kamikaze scooters drive
along High Street
oblivious to traffic,

Homeless men
shuffle through the mall
mumbling to the footpath,
and I understand their pain.

Park Beach Caravan
is crowded with
spoilt summer holiday makers
escaping from Sydney.

Driving behind slow
holiday drivers, I
dream of the
million other places
I’d rather be.

cheese

Bench
sounds like you really love the joint shero :lol:

gawd .....i feel depressed after reading that......(thats not a dig at your writing btw, i liked it)

seriously though, one of my close mates grew up there, and he is a poster boy for prozac

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
I can offer some advice on this one.

Travel should be pretty cheap if you book now. between $70-110 each way qantas or my preferred Virgin. Maybe even Australian will be up & running then so keep an eye out for early specials.
Of course that is sydney to Cooly.
Qantas also fly smaller craft to ballina.
Regional Express(REX) do also.
Tickets are around $90 each way.
Rex also do Lismore same price & that is about 30k to Byron or Ballina.
These are all the cheapest fares I know of. To get them you book early or get lucky.
If you fly in to the gold coast there are shuttle buses for $20 to Byron.If you are with 4 or 5 people, just grab a Limo for about $70-$80 to your door.

I might even be able to organise some cheap accommodation if there is enough serious about going.

Hey Shero

That was truly depressing. At least you have a job though! You need to move! When I was up there this bloke said when Big W opened that 5000 people showed up after jobs. He said when Centrelink advertised ONE position, 7000 people applied for it! He knew that because he knew the girl who got the job.

The yellow needle bins on the street werent a good look either.

I spent most of my time in an internet cafe. The one good thing I can say about Coffs Harbour is that I got a haircut for $10 in a hairdresser/sporting memorablia store on the corner and they threw in a free beer!

Other than that, the best thing to come out of Coffs Harbour was Qantas Flight 2115 back to Sydney, even if it was in one of those rickety Dash 8 contraptions.

Yeah, Cheese and SS, I can't see my poem being used in Hallmark greeting cards, or Coffs Harbour tourists brochures. It could be worse if I had to live in Grafton. At least Coffs is near the ocean.

blacktip-reefy said:
Travel should be pretty cheap if you book now. between $70-110 each way qantas or my preferred Virgin. Maybe even Australian will be up

$70-$110?!?!?! :shock: :shock:
My ticket cost like $580-odd to Coffs return with taxes and levies etc, that was fully transferable etc though. Good thing I didnt pay.

I'd prefer to fly Virgin on smaller routes but havent done so yet, they only have jets whereas Qantas have a lot of shitty small planes that I dont really like. They even fly the Dash8's between Sydney and Canberra sometimes. Oh well I wont be going back to Coffs any time soon, I hope!

imasharkie

Coach
blacktip-reefy said:
Whats wrong with Grafton???
Home of the legendary Grafton Ghosts!
Gotta a mate lives out at st.lawrence and he hates Grafton and yes I have been to Grafton on a few occasions and you don't strike me as a person from there BTR.......way to smart

Latest posts