What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rate Gareth Widdop

Highland Saint

Juniors
_74994391_021728376-1.jpg

V

Vasilevsky

Allright, I'll have a crack.

Talented 5/8 who doesn't shine as much as he should at club level.
Rarely panics, but too often seems to be pacing himself and happy to let others do the work.
Saves his best games for when Benji isn't playing (eg 2015 v warriors, 2015 v bulldogs, 2016 v Souths, any time he plays for England).
Good short kicking game, long kicking needs work. Good accurate passing game and reliable defender.

Needs to engage in attack more. Could do better. 6/10.

That is pretty fair opinion but once again, sorry to say it as you were polite but if you are talking about the semi final from last year, you are deluding yourself.

Benji did play and Widdop was the same old same old even after the smaller, fitter Dragons forward were dominating the fat Grubs in the last quarter of the game. Benji had started to cut loose before being taken out and Widdop...... did absolutely nothing worth noting except catch and pass 5 meters before the enemy defensive line and then pretty much hand the game to the Grubs with "that" kick.

Ditto for the forwards against Souffs last weekend and Widdop ran for a grand total of 2 meters!!!!

Also it's not difficult to catch and pass accurately when one does it from the position he does it. I'm absolutely sure Dugan could catch and pass in such a way if he were an average player at best and that is all he tried to do.

Furthermore, did you watch the England vs NZ games in the off season? Widdop was rubbish and he won't be there much longer if he doesn't dramatically improve. Of course both Roosters and Broncos have UK reps playing in the NSW Cup.

And all this leads to my final point. Given what I have pointed out, on what basis do you say he is talented?

Fingerbang

Bench
For someone who has watched 1 season of footy and reckons he knows better than all those journos who state Widdop is class, and ready to write off Mann after 1 decent game and 1 poor game....just causes "Panda"monium.

No one listens to your dribble, Vag.....just do us a favour and f*ck off back to the shopping mall with your friends, you skank.

V

Vasilevsky

For someone who has watched 1 season of footy and reckons he knows better than all those journos who state Widdop is class, and ready to write off Mann after 1 decent game and 1 poor game....just causes "Panda"monium.

No one listens to you dribble, Vag.....just do us a favour and f*ck off back to the shopping mall with your friends, you skank.

How charming:D. Was it something I said? Which journalists state Widdop is "class" and what does that mean? Class player? Class person? He probably is the latter but isn't the former.

Mickthedragon

Juniors
Widdop last sun-great kicking game to set up our only try and win the territory war in the wet. Also forced a few repeat sets with kicks in goal.
A few poor touches but tough conditions that every player struggled in.
All up,a pretty good game and 7/10.
BENJI-so far this season 6/10 and 5/10.

Exsilium

First Grade
I thought Foreverinourshadow was the reigning champion of useless posts and threads but this wins by a furlong.

BLM01

First Grade
Using a scale of 1 being pretty much useless and 10 being pretty much perfect.

# Ball playing ability – 1 (If the enemy defensive line is 10 meters away, he takes 2 steps and passes and if it’s 5 meters away he catches and passes immediately. And that is all he does. Game after game.)

# Running game – 0.5 (He never does it. Occasionally he runs around in a circle and then dives at the feet of the oncoming enemy defense. A few times last season he ran “a little” (and I mean, a little) when someone made a break and Widdop was in support. The game against Souffs was so typical. The forwards dominated, JDB was outstanding and Widdop ran for a grand total of 2 meters!)

# Evasive ability – 1 (I’m assuming if forced he can kind of step or swerve but I can’t remember seeing it.)

# Speed – 3 (I know he is quite fast for a half but as he never runs the ball, he can’t score higher than 3. The only way I know he is quite fast was from when he took an intercept.)

# Long kicking – 1 (I notice McCrone did almost all of that in the last game. I presume Mary lost patience and told Widdop to only kick down the middle of the field.)

# Attacking kicking – 8 (as far as I can see it’s the only thing he does well but that is not even close to enough. I mean, it doesn’t come close to making up for his deficiencies.)

# Tackling – 4 (He is a legs tackler which of course is no longer effective but is better than missing tackles.)

# Goal kicking – 5 (This frustrates me. He appears to strike the ball quite well but I can’t remember the last time he got one from close to the sideline. He probably has but they are few and far between. Last week the penalty kick went in off the post even though the kick was taken from closer to the posts than the sideline.)

And some more subjective qualities:

*Composure – 10 (I’m not exactly sure what his means but every time I don’t see a game but hear Gareth Widdop was “composed”, I know it’s a code word for “did nothing good worth noting”.)

*Toughness – 3 (He doesn’t just hang an arm out in defense but given his refusal to run the ball or shoulder tackle, he can’t score more than a 3.)

*Communication – 9 (I’m assuming that is the case. I know highlighted his communication in a pre-season interview. I took it to mean he can’t run the ball or ball-play so he is resting on something as subjective as this.)

*Leadership – 2 (Too early to make a determination one way or another but it’s an insult to guys like Dugan that his captain refuses to go to the enemy defensive line with ball in hand.)

What have I missed?
I will help you but too long to argue

Agree
7.5..well he is kicking at around 75-80%
7 on first 3 rounds

You missed 2 important ones
1. ..effort upon effort and not giving up on chasing a line break I rate him 10
2...Best player we have by far in our squad as a NRL player rate him 7.5-8

No time to argue or back up by score sheet. My opinion without a un-biast agenda, black glasses or just some inner hate for someone that a slight majority agree with and eating away at your soul. Shame really

Let me know when you ready to do Benji's of similar score sheet and I have will have my say then.

giboz71

First Grade
Can't really make up my mind on Widdop actually.

Yes he's skillful and tough, and has great composure, but with Marshall being a limited 7, he's forced to have elements of a half in his game when he really should be focusing on being a 6. His passing and kicking can be hit and miss and I don't really see him directing the team around the park.

With the reduced interchange, the best 6's in the comp are the dynamic runners like Milford and Morgan who take advantage of tiring forwards late in games. Nikorima at the Roosters has also shown elements of this. Widdop is not really this type of player.

To be honest, I still think his best position is FB and would be a better version than Mann to play the role we expected this year.

BLM01

First Grade

Agree
7 on first 3 rounds

No time to argue or back up by score sheet. My opinion without a un-biast agenda, black glasses or just some inner hate for someone that a slight majority agree with and eating away at your soul. Shame really

Let me know when you ready to do Benji's of similar score sheet and I have will have my say then.
Forgot 2 more

1. Rating when plays with Benji - 7
2. Rating without which includes prior to Benji's arrival - 9

V

Vasilevsky

Agree
7 on first 3 rounds

Thank you Mrs Widdop. That will be all now. You are probably a nice person as I'm sure your husband probably is but you are living in relative luxury at the expense of the club and this pi**es me off immensely.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
That is pretty fair opinion but once again, sorry to say it as you were polite but if you are talking about the semi final from last year, you are deluding yourself.

Benji did play and Widdop was the same old same old even after the smaller, fitter Dragons forward were dominating the fat Grubs in the last quarter of the game. Benji had started to cut loose before being taken out and Widdop...... did absolutely nothing worth noting except catch and pass 5 meters before the enemy defensive line and then pretty much hand the game to the Grubs with "that" kick.

Ditto for the forwards against Souffs last weekend and Widdop ran for a grand total of 2 meters!!!!

Also it's not difficult to catch and pass accurately when one does it from the position he does it. I'm absolutely sure Dugan could catch and pass in such a way if he were an average player at best and that is all he tried to do.

Furthermore, did you watch the England vs NZ games in the off season? Widdop was rubbish and he won't be there much longer if he doesn't dramatically improve. Of course both Roosters and Broncos have UK reps playing in the NSW Cup.

And all this leads to my final point. Given what I have pointed out, on what basis do you say he is talented?

Yes Benji played, my point is Widdop lifted once Benji was forced off, kicked a sideline conversion, and booted two other penalties that got us into extra time, all this after being kneed in the back by one F. Pritchard. Yes he messed up in extra time, hence my comment "long kicking needs work".

Re passing game, I doubt its as easy as you suggest. Plenty of others seem to have trouble (eg Rein, Marshall). Widdop gets the ball out quickly with the line moving forward, and while his centre still has some room to work with.

Watched two of the three England Vs New Zealand games (the two England won). Thought Widdop went quite well. The game I remember best is when he had a blinder (my opinion) in a losing England side in the 2013 World cup.

Yes I think he is talented, I question his motivation.

BrissyRedV

Bench
I give this troll thread a 6/10. Entertaining, but lacks substance. Objective View's troll thread was much better after our win, I give that one an 8/10.

V

Vasilevsky

Yes Benji played, my point is Widdop lifted once Benji was forced off, kicked a sideline conversion, and booted two other penalties that got us into extra time, all this after being kneed in the back by one F. Pritchard. Yes he messed up in extra time, hence my comment "long kicking needs work".

Re passing game, I doubt its as easy as you suggest. Plenty of others seem to have trouble (eg Rein, Marshall). Widdop gets the ball out quickly with the line moving forward, and while his centre still has some room to work with.

Watched two of the three England Vs New Zealand games (the two England won). Thought Widdop went quite well. The game I remember best is when he had a blinder (my opinion) in a losing England side in the 2013 World cup.

Yes I think he is talented, I question his motivation.

Fair enough. Difference of opinion but I can't understand your criticism of Benji's passing at all. He is the only ball-player in the team.

There is a time for passing the ball quickly, a time for taking the ball to the line and looking to put a teammate through a gap with a nicely timed and directed pass, a time to run himself and a time to take the ball to the line and leave the enemy not knowing if he will run himself or pass. Widdop only does the easiest of those (an IMO it is that easy).

V

Vasilevsky

I give this troll thread a 6/10. Entertaining, but lacks substance. Objective View's troll thread was much better after our win, I give that one an 8/10.

You are welcome to make it more substantive by providing your own rating. Just do it seriously, not like "BLM01".

BrissyRedV

Bench
You are welcome to make it more substantive by providing your own rating. Just do it seriously, not like "BLM01".

Nope. Don't feel the need to dignify this thread with response on Widdop, our captains playing ability especially when the OP has brought up zero valid points.

Latest posts