What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rate Gareth Widdop

V

Vasilevsky

And it’s time to clear up a few myths.
1. Widdop wasn’t playing really well before Benji came on board. Does anyone care to remember why the Dragons were so desperate to sign Benji after half a season of Gareth Widdop being the main playmaker?

2. Widdop didn’t play well in the last game against the Grubs last season. He was very, very poor. The smaller, fitter Dragons forwards were running riot in the last 1/4 of the game and taking full advantage like any good half Gareth Widdop had 0 tries, 0 try assists, 0 line breaks and 0 line break assists…....... but he did miss several tackles and make 3 mistakes including one huge mistake which pretty much handed the game to the grubs. All this talk about he was good in that game can only lead me to the conclusion that the losing culture is so interwoven that Widdop did enough in that game.

3. A probably myth. He could be a ball playing fullback. Has anyone ever seen him take the ball when running at speed and pass a well timed and placed pass while running at speed?

Last edited by a moderator:
V

Vasilevsky

Yeah I rate Gareth & would be even better with a real half back and proper coach.

Yep. If Widdop had a superstar halfback inside him, a fast, strong, ball playing fullback behind him, fast and strong wingers and centers with excellent evasive ability outside him, he would probably come across as an OK player. Actually, in such a team with instructions not to try to do much and on a salary which doesn't put much of a dent in the salary cap, he would be ok.

V

Vasilevsky

And this after a MoM performance... Imagine if he played bad :shock:

Which merely magnifies my frustration. On what basis was he MOM??? In the first half he put in that kick which was great for him but pretty standard for any other half, he was on the scene to take advantage of a ridiculous Roosters mistake and didn't make any obvious mistakes in the first half. In the second was rarely sighted apart from a few mistakes and a penalty kick from almost in front.

Someone who hates the Dragons and wants Widdop locked up at the Dragons on a long term contract with a pay rise from his already massively inflated salary gave him MoM. One thing for certain, it wasn't Gaz.

Country Dragon

Juniors
Which merely magnifies my frustration. On what basis was he MOM??? In the first half he put in that kick which was great for him but pretty standard for any other half, he was on the scene to take advantage of a ridiculous Roosters mistake and didn't make any obvious mistakes in the first half. In the second was rarely sighted apart from a few mistakes and a penalty kick from almost in front.

Someone who hates the Dragons and wants Widdop locked up at the Dragons on a long term contract with a pay rise from his already massively inflated salary gave him MoM. One thing for certain, it wasn't Gaz.

Go back to where ever you've been hiding homie!

BrissyRedV

Bench
Oh Vas, you should've been on here doing this after the Broncos game. Might have given you some credibility. Now you just look foolish and bitter.

V

Vasilevsky

Nobody cares what the panda's think anyway

Go back to where ever you've been hiding homie!

Yay he's back!!

I just think you need to stop worrying about whatever it is I'm doing and get a life yourselves. On this thread we are rating our superstar captain and 5/8 whom our supercoach labelled "a marquee player" after the team limped to a victory over the pre season wooden spoon favorites missing their best player. So do that or f**k off but either way, stop worrying about whatever it is I'm doing.

Oh Vas, you should've been on here doing this after the Broncos game. Might have given you some credibility. Now you just look foolish and bitter.

So how would you rate the form of Gareth Widdop this season? Don't be shy.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
But you write absolute garbage. If you don't wish to be ridiculed, don't write ridiculous posts

saints4ever

First Grade
I just think you need to stop worrying about whatever it is I'm doing and get a life yourselves. On this thread we are rating our superstar captain and 5/8 whom our supercoach labelled "a marquee player" after the team limped to a victory over the pre season wooden spoon favorites missing their best player. So do that or f**k off but either way, stop worrying about whatever it is I'm doing.

Soooo....you criticize people for going onto a forum and telling people not to worry about what you're doing. Yet you're here on the forum, putting up absurd hypotheticals and your nonsensical opinions, asking for responses???
You is a special one

Slippery Morris

First Grade
On his day Widdop is very good but he can surely have some howlers like he has the first 6 rounds. He has been awful up until yesterday and that is 3 games WITHOUT Marshall.

Blaming Marshall for his poor form is ludicrous especially when Marshall is not playing.

Anyway back to this post Widdop overall is probably a 7 at best.

V

Vasilevsky

Widdop - 6/10 so far this season

On his day Widdop is very good but he can surely have some howlers like he has the first 6 rounds. He has been awful up until yesterday and that is 3 games WITHOUT Marshall.

Blaming Marshall for his poor form is ludicrous especially when Marshall is not playing.

Anyway back to this post Widdop overall is probably a 7 at best.

Fair enough. I think a 6 and 7 is overly generous but eitehr way, surely we can agree it's not even close to enough for a guy the coach labelled "a marquee player" after limping to victory against the Gold Coast missing their best player.

It isn't his mistakes that really bother me. It's his complete inability as a playmaker which in my opinion, screws up the rest of the team. I guess it comes down to BrissyRedV for example blames everyone and everything for Widdops poor form except for Widdop himself. I like the guy (BrissyRedV) but on this issue, I stand far closer to the opposite pole.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Fair enough. I think a 6 and 7 is overly generous but eitehr way, surely we can agree it's not even close to enough for a guy the coach labelled "a marquee player" after limping to victory against the Gold Coast missing their best player.

It isn't his mistakes that really bother me. It's his complete inability as a playmaker which in my opinion, screws up the rest of the team. I guess it comes down to BrissyRedV for example blames everyone and everything for Widdops poor form except for Widdop himself. I like the guy (BrissyRedV) but on this issue, I stand far closer to the opposite pole.

The term "marquee" player is used loosely these days, particularly when a "marquee" player allowance ($600k) is an extra an individual player or the team can earn outside the cap. The first step is to actually anoint a "marquee" player.

Assessing Widdop's performance so far this year, based on stats alone, is interesting.
Firstly, he's no Milford, who leads most of the important stats, for 5/8th's this year.

Compared to say Corey Norman, who we should chase very hard for 5/8 next year IMO, and as our "marquee" signing.

Tries - Widdop =2.............Norman = 0
Run Mtrs - Widdop = 383 (6.27m/run)..............Norman = 586 (8.25m/run)
Line Breaks - Widdop = 1................Norman = 2
Line Break Ass - Widdop = 1 .........Norman = 2
Try Assists - Widdop = 4.............Norman = 5
Off loads - Widdop = 5.............Norman = 4
Tackles - Widdop = 116..........Norman = 110
Miss Tackles - Widdop = 29..........Norman = 12
Errors - Widdop = 7.............Norman = 5
Kicks - Widdop = 86...........Norman = 98
Kick Mtrs - Widdop = 1980m (247.5/game).......Norman = 2678m (334.8/ game)

Another interesting stat is that the Eels centres have scored 9 tries so far this year and I think Norman provides the opportunities for them. Our centres have scored 1. Enough said.

Widdop may be better as a 7 or full back I don't think 6 is his go, but signing someone like Norman would improve our premiership aspirations 100%.

I do hope Gareth can improve week by week, in the last 2 games we have seen glimpses of what he can do, now he needs to reproduce that for 80 minutes for every game.

He is our captain and I will stick by him and all our players 100%. At the moment effort is not equalling execution, especially in 2nd halves of games. If we can reproduce a first half, like we did against the Roosters, for a full 80 minutes, we will make an impact into this competition.

Last edited:
V

Vasilevsky

The term "marquee" player is used loosely these days, particularly when a "marquee" player allowance ($600k) is an extra an individual player or the team can earn outside the cap. The first step is to actually anoint a "marquee" player.

Assessing Widdop's performance so far this year, based on stats alone, is interesting.
Firstly, he's no Milford, who leads most of the important stats, for 5/8th's this year.

Compared to say Corey Norman, who we should chase very hard for 5/8 next year IMO, and as our "marquee" signing.

Tries - Widdop =2.............Norman = 0
Run Mtrs - Widdop = 383 (6.27m/run)..............Norman = 586 (8.25m/run)
Line Breaks - Widdop = 1................Norman = 2
Line Break Ass - Widdop = 1 .........Norman = 2
Try Assists - Widdop = 4.............Norman = 5
Off loads - Widdop = 5.............Norman = 4
Tackles - Widdop = 116..........Norman = 110
Miss Tackles - Widdop = 29..........Norman = 12
Errors - Widdop = 7.............Norman = 5
Kicks - Widdop = 86...........Norman = 98
Kick Mtrs - Widdop = 1980m (247.5/game).......Norman = 2678m (334.8/ game)

Another interesting stat is that the Eels centres have scored 9 tries so far this year and I think Norman provides the opportunities for them. Our centres have scored 1. Enough said.

Widdop may be better as a 7 or full back I don't think 6 is his go, but signing someone like Norman would improve our premiership aspirations 100%.

I do hope Gareth can improve week by week, in the last 2 games we have seen glimpses of what he can do, now he needs to reproduce that for 80 minutes for every game.

He is our captain and I will stick by him and all our players 100%. At the moment effort is not equalling execution, especially in 2nd halves of games. If we can reproduce a first half, like we did against the Roosters, for a full 80 minutes, we will make an impact into this competition.

Interesting. Based on those stats Norman isn't as good as I thought. But remember Widdop got his name down with a try assist for that one late in the game Dugan scored against Penrith. Which is just patently absurd. On that basis Mitch Rein or whoever it was who passes from dummy half should have a try assist for almost every try that is scored.

I just think it's patently obvious Widdop isn't a playmaker. As long as he is in the halves, the team will struggle. I can't see what position he would do well in except perhaps as a utility player for the Cutters which I think is where he will be within 2 or 3 weeks if McGregor is fired for Cleary or Toovey, 2 coaches with a track record of ruthlessness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. Based on those stats Norman isn't as good as I thought. But remember Widdop got his name down with a try assist for that one late in the game Dugan scored against Penrith. Which is just patently absurd. On that basis Mitch Rein or whoever it was who passes from dummy half should have a try assist for almost every try that is scored.

I just think it's patently obvious Widdop isn't a playmaker. As long as he is in the halves, the team will struggle. I can't see what position he would do well in except perhaps as a utility player for the Cutters which I think is where he will be within 2 or 3 weeks if McGregor is fired for Cleary or Toovey, 2 coaches with a track record of ruthlessness.

Is 'patently' your favorite word?

The try you're referring to came from a wonderful, long , cut out ball that got Dugan outside his man.

Rob Dragon

Juniors
Widdop played pretty well against the Titans and was very involved and influential in the 1st half of yesterdays match.

WHERE WAS HE IN THE 2ND HALF?

Did he come back on after half-time?

A dominant play-maker takes the game by the scruff of the neck and controls the game. Such a player would demand the ball on the last tackle and control both the tempo of the game and would certainly determine where the opposition players would be starting their set of 6. How many times did someone other then Widdop have the ball on the last tackle and kick it dead in goal?

My frustration with Widdop is that he is just not worth the money and the hype.

As an aside I nearly threw up after Widdop scored yesterday when one the Fox commentators described Widdop as a "super-star". I found myself wondering in what sporting discipline he was talking about; because he ain't no NRL superstar!

Jubileeboy

First Grade

When is this happening?
:lol: