What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rate Gareth Widdop

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Widdop has been much better this year but still poor. That try to Lafai in which Widdop must have been penciled in for a try assist and line break assist was actually pretty poor. It was the last tackle and Lafai had a lot of work to do. If the roles had been reversed, Widdop would be labelled as the greatest Dragons player ever and Lafai not gotten a mention. As is, it had nothing to do with Lafai and everything to do with Widdop's pass 5 meters before the defensive line and with at least 2 opposition players to beat.

But despite the winning ways at present, and depite all 3 doing some good things over the first 4 rounds, I'm in favor of dropping Widdop, Aitken and Lafai. Against the top teams the lack of speed and creativity in our team is going to be found out.

Wow - that is one of the weakest and most poorly constructed arguments I have ever read. Well done.

Capital

Juniors
Wow - that is one of the weakest and most poorly constructed arguments I have ever read. Well done.
You are welcome to your opinion. I'm not trying to convince you. Just points out facts. Like the fact Widdop hasn't gotten an offer from St George or any other club. Kind of strange if his form is so good, isn't it?

Bottom line is we have a rampaging forward pack. We need just a little creativity in the halves but don't have it. See the game Melbourne vs Tigers? Twice in the first half, Mitchell Moses, not much if any bigger or faster than Widdop and with footwork not much if any better than Widdop's, ran right to the Melbourne line. Forcing them to pause because they had no idea whether he was going to run himself, kick or pass. Widdop doesn't have good speed, power or footwork and doesn't have the ability to keep the opposition defence guessing as to whether he will run, kick or pass until the last moment.

Whether he tackles well as last week, or misses 6 for 17 as for the Cronulla game. Or whether his kicking game is very good (as it may have been some time but not anytime I can remember) or s**t. Or whether he supports a forward and then beats a defender to score as he did against Parra (if not for that he would have rightly been widely criticised) or doesn't as in at least 9 games out of every 10 is all beside the point.

We want to see him excel at some facet of a halves game week in, week out but he isn't a ball player, a (general play) kicker, powerful runner or posses great speed and/or evasive ability. This is why he is facing the NRL scrap-heap and rightly so.

BrissyRedV

Bench
You are welcome to your opinion. I'm not trying to convince you. Just points out facts. Like the fact Widdop hasn't gotten an offer from St George or any other club. Kind of strange if his form is so good, isn't it?

Bottom line is we have a rampaging forward pack. We need just a little creativity in the halves but don't have it. See the game Melbourne vs Tigers? Twice in the first half, Mitchell Moses, not much if any bigger or faster than Widdop and with footwork not much if any better than Widdop's, ran right to the Melbourne line. Forcing them to pause because they had no idea whether he was going to run himself, kick or pass. Widdop doesn't have good speed, power or footwork and doesn't have the ability to keep the opposition defence guessing as to whether he will run, kick or pass until the last moment.

Whether he tackles well as last week, or misses 6 for 17 as for the Cronulla game. Or whether his kicking game is very good (as it may have been some time but not anytime I can remember) or s**t. Or whether he supports a forward and then beats a defender to score as he did against Parra (if not for that he would have rightly been widely criticised) or doesn't as in at least 9 games out of every 10 is all beside the point.

We want to see him excel at some facet of a halves game week in, week out but he isn't a ball player, a (general play) kicker, powerful runner or posses great speed and/or evasive ability. This is why he is facing the NRL scrap-heap and rightly so.
I don't know why you bother. No one on here other than your shadow Lovemysaints reads your irrational rants, which is much like your predecessors rants that everybody ignored. You should stick to short, sharp comments as that is the only way you could possibly get a response from more reasonable posters.

Capital

Juniors
I don't know why you bother. No one on here other than your shadow Lovemysaints reads your irrational rants, which is much like your predecessors rants that everybody ignored. You should stick to short, sharp comments as that is the only way you could possibly get a response from more reasonable posters.

And evidently you do as well.

BringTheNoise

Juniors

I wish I could say that you've raised some interesting points here, that way I wouldn't feel like I wasted 30 seconds of my life reading this dribble.

Capital

Juniors
Does being the leading point scorer in the NRL count for anything?
His goal kicking is much improved. With Duges and the forwards storming through the opposition defence on a regular basis , he is getting plenty of practice. In the big games against tough opposition, with the lack of creativity in the halves and lack of speed in the outside backs, we are next to no chance.

Capital

Juniors
No, just saw your name and a long spiel tripe and thought I would give some friendly advice.
yeah, that right. Any criticism of Widdop is an "irrational rant" while your diatribes against McCrone on every thread are a picture of reason and sensibility.
Perhaps we can agree McCrone kicking in general play has been poor? Why do you think he has been charged with the kicking? His halves partner is on probably almost 10 times money.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
His goal kicking is much improved. With Duges and the forwards storming through the opposition defence on a regular basis , he is getting plenty of practice. In the big games against tough opposition, with the lack of creativity in the halves and lack of speed in the outside backs, we are next to no chance.

Do you have next weeks Lotto #'s please

BrissyRedV

Bench
Any criticism of Widdop is an "irrational rant"
No, I can handle people criticizing players fine including Widdop. What I can't handle is numbskulls like you who continually berate a player when there is irrefutable evidence to the contrary and are completely unable to give proper credit where it is due. That is why your comments are irrational. But keep spruiking your completely biased opinion. No one is listening anyway.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
No, just saw your name and a long spiel tripe and thought I would give some friendly advice.
I have to admit, I read the first sentence. Didn't read the rest.

Not sure why there is Widdop hate around. He isn't the best five-eighth in the world but he sure looks the goods when he clicks. Funny how he plays better when the forwards are on top and the coaching staff are delivering a game plan, but you can't tell that to the experts with their immense football brains.

Maybe it's because he's a pom. At least one of these experts have decided that this is his main flaw.

Capital

Juniors
Oh yes you do.
You gamble that every new identity you create will not get found out.
Just like your posts you are a loser at that too.
What is your relationship to Gareth Widdop? Why do you criticise various team members and the coaching staff A LOT, but completely flip out at any criticism of Widdop?

Capital

Juniors
No, I can handle people criticizing players fine including Widdop. What I can't handle is numbskulls like you who continually berate a player when there is irrefutable evidence to the contrary and are completely unable to give proper credit where it is due. That is why your comments are irrational. But keep spruiking your completely biased opinion. No one is listening anyway.
So you read my post again?
Yep, you are right. over the last 3 years and 4 games we have seen irrefutable evidence of Widdop's consistent and very good playmaking and/or running game, haven't we? Ditto for other defence and kicking in general play.

Widdop is off contract and Brisbane need a new half. Lots of reports about them targeting Moses but nothing in regard to Widdop. Why do you think that is? Doesn't Bennet rate Widdop? They offered Ben Hunt a 4 year big money deal so they obviously have the cash for a top half. And Moses surely doesn't come cheap.