What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ray warren retiring at end of season

undertaker

Coach
Wow, I didn't know the Melbourne Storm have been around for more than 1800 years:

Rd 10 214...I'm sure the Roman Empire would be proud

I thought he was supposed to go after the Olympics in 2012, he hinted at this years ago. 5 years later still hogging the chair. He is passed it and now is becoming a liability. Mistake riddled rambling calls.

its like Rex messop in his twilight years.

This.

The 2012 London Olympics was supposed to be his swansong (he was already 'losing it' in his RL calls for at least a few years by that stage), but here we are at the end of 2016 with another John Laws-type situation: someone who is past it, but can't handle being out of the spotlight and will continue calling until Ch9 gives him the arse.

Last edited:

juro

Bench
I can't stand how he feels the need to explain the rules of the game whenever he calls a game that is broadcast live nationally. The guy simply has to go. If Nein want viewers back they need a massive clean-out.
Yet another example of how he is 20 years out of date...

PARRA_FAN

Coach
"Just for you Melbourne viewers at home, the tap restart happens at the 20m line"

I remember the 1999 Grand Final he was explaining the rules back then to Melbourne viewers, still explaining them 17 years later.

Brutus

Referee
"Just for you Melbourne viewers at home, the tap restart happens at the 20m line"

I remember the 1999 Grand Final he was explaining the rules back then to Melbourne viewers, still explaining them 17 years later.

It's ridiculous and emabarrassing for our game.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Ray started going down hill when pacific islanders started having such a massive impact on the game. All of a sudden he had to put some work into pronouncing their names and it all got too hard for him.

does sound about right, that and you could have a midget like matt utai who has decided to grow a beard on one wing and have a 6'10 daniel tupou on the other wing but because they aren't caucasian will still get them mixed up.

Norths Tiger

Juniors
One of the best from old racist Rabby was in Round 3 2013, at the end of Tigers-Parra at Leichhardt...

Well he’s back for the final curtain Seu-Manu-Fani or Fagai, it’s gonna….it’s gonna happen, there’s gonna be a commentator strangle themselves on some of these names one day. Strangulation of the larynx, or is it the larnyx? Larynx is it… How did he die? Oh he’s strangled, he’s got a strangled larynx. What caused it? Oh just trying to pronounce the Polynesian names. Ona-mata-ratu and Seu-Manu-Fani, they took him down eventually.

(Gould) You’ll get over it Rabbits.

Not if I strangle myself on the larynx, or the larnyx. Mannah….

(Gould) It’s a bit different to Billy Smith and Bobby Jones isn’t it?

Oh (laughs) whatever happened to them?!”

magpie_man

Juniors
Love him or hate him, his raspy tonsils will forever be responsible for enunciating the most succinct and providential assessment of a footballer that I have ever heard (apologies, I don't know how to embed video clips) :

Brutus

Referee
I watched the last 5 mins of the GF again and the few minutes after fulltime and I can safely say Ray Warren offers absolutely nothing as a commentator. The last 5 minutes had everything, but you wouldn't know it listening to the old twit behind the microphone. When was the last time Warren came up with a remotely decent or memorable line/quote during a game.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Compare this to Vossy who can pronounce them all backwards.

spending 10 minutes during the week asking how they are pronounced correctly will do that. As opposed to doing absolute zero prep (including bothering to watch other games he isn't calling) and just hoping on a plane or getting picked up from the golf course/racetrack

Game_Breaker

Coach
spending 10 minutes during the week asking how they are pronounced correctly will do that. As opposed to doing absolute zero prep (including bothering to watch other games he isn't calling) and just hoping on a plane or getting picked up from the golf course/racetrack

Rabs hopping on a plane?

The guy rarely leaves Sydney, except for SOO. Which is another problem with him

RoosTah

Juniors
A lot of bad mouthing of Rabs here, but I gotta say despite his flaws I still really enjoy his commentary. I don't think he's the best commentator out there - that's definitely Warren Smith in my view - but rabs has a sort of avuncular charm that is unique is Australian sport and quite unlike the boorish wankers who commentate the AFL

Brutus

Referee
A lot of bad mouthing of Rabs here, but I gotta say despite his flaws I still really enjoy his commentary. I don't think he's the best commentator out there - that's definitely Warren Smith in my view - but rabs has a sort of avuncular charm that is unique is Australian sport and quite unlike the boorish wankers who commentate the AFL

Thank god for Fox Sports.

Iafeta

Referee
Seems a poor decision to me. I liked what Triple M had particularly through the NRL season. Dead set legends, and then into some classic Girds.

TheFrog

Coach
I can't stand how he feels the need to explain the rules of the game whenever he calls a game that is broadcast live nationally. The guy simply has to go. If Nein want viewers back they need a massive clean-out.
Replace him with Matt Thompson huh? I don't think so.

Rhyno

First Grade
I love rabs he is a thousand times better than any other caller I hope he keeps calling for another 10 years

Rhyno

First Grade
I like listening to rabs and gus I find them entertaining .

I hate listening to smith and Alexander they are two boring f**ks