What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ray warren retiring at end of season

no name

Coach
http://www.nospam47.com/au/league/n...entator-ray-hadley/1laaz5500vxu71cohl24d8jdda

There's no need to search for a replacement for Ray Warren because the golden voice of rugby league has extended his contract with Channel Nine for another five years.

After 50 years in the commentary box, Rabs was set to retire due to bad health at the end of 2016, although he ended up having what was meant to be one last stab this season.

"Fifty and out. I like that," Warren told Fairfax Media in February 2016.

"I'm thinking this season will be it for me, I'm thinking that way. In fact, I'd be happy to get through the year, to be honest.

"I've had some bad health in the past 12 months and had too many anaesthetics, maybe it's trying to tell me something. I'm thinking if I can get through this year it would be good. I've had the prostate problem, hernias and God knows what operated on.''

Warren knocked back lucrative deals to defect to Fox and will remain at Channel Nine until the end of 2022.

Nine's director of sport Tom Malone announced the exciting news.

“Ray Warren is an icon of sports broadcasting,'' Malone said in a statement.

''He has brought us some of the greatest moments in sport for more than 50 years, and his contribution to the profile of rugby league and swimming in Australia cannot be overstated.

“While Rabs is yet to decide for how long he will continue to commentate, this new deal is recognition of his special place at Channel Nine and Wide World of Sports.''

Warren was wrapped to extend his stay and completed the deal over a sausage sanga this week.

“This is a wonderful opportunity for me remain a part of Nine even though I am undecided about the calling aspect. It was always my dream to work for Nine,'' Warren said.

''I called greyhounds for them back in the 70s and then came the swimming for a decade or more, but it was rugby league where they gave me a second chance to cover the sport I love so much.

“I have been part of that coverage since 1989 and they have been good to me. For them to want me to remain a part of WWOS for another five years is very humbling.”

Rabs still on the punt I see.

One thing about Nine extending Ray Warren's contract, it certainly means they know that Ray Hadley is no where near a lock to be his successor. In fact I'd go so far as to say its a vote of no confidence on Hadley as a TV play-by-play commentator.

undertaker

Coach
One thing about Nine extending Ray Warren's contract, it certainly means they know that Ray Hadley is no where near a lock to be his successor. In fact I'd go so far as to say its a vote of no confidence on Hadley as a TV play-by-play commentator.
So, you believe that Warren's contract extension was the catalyst for Hadley leaving Ch9 at the end of this year?

This.

In addition, he strikes me of one of those people like John Laws: someone who needs to be in the spotlight and have their ego stroked by the media, for without their career, they are a nobody. The minute you retire and are at home all the time, you are no longer Rabs or "the voice of rugby league"; you are just "Ray" to your family and friends. Same situation with Lawsy: couldn't adjust to his post-2UE retirement and was so desperate that immediately after his 2UE contract expired a few years later, he took an offer from 2SM!

When Ray Warren postponed his retirement after the 2012 London Olympics (end of the previous tv rights deal) when he was initially supposed to retire, I knew he was going to try and stay around for as long as possible until he either died or Ch9 forced him out.

Somewhat interesting that he has been constantly forgetting, mispronouncing players names for more than a decade, yet Rex Mossop was shafted from Ch10 at only 62.

juro

Bench
Yet again shows that Channel Nine have lost touch with what the fans want in their sports telecasts. They think we watch because of the commentators, not the sport.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Ch9 are the best/worst at having shows or people on air too long. The best example is Hey Hey It's Saturday. One of the best shows ever on Australian tv & they just kept going for one more year, year after year....

DC_fan

Coach

Hadley turns 63 this year, so I am not sure how much of a successor he would be.

axe&smash&crush

Juniors
Firstly he said he wanted to go onto 2012 for the olympics, now this, is he seriously going to commentate when he is 79???

Rex mossop in the final years all over again.

Only in rugby league would we allow one personality to have such a powerful role in the game, everyone is scared of him and no one will tell him to bugger off

Last edited:

FlameThrower

Bench
Due respect to Ray Warren, but his best is behind him. He really should have retired last season. Got some cushy job on Triple M, on Saturday mornings then off to play golf.
He hates to travel outside of Sydney and his style of commentary has dated badly..

axl rose

Bench
Ch9 are the best/worst at having shows or people on air too long. The best example is Hey Hey It's Saturday. One of the best shows ever on Australian tv & they just kept going for one more year, year after year....

Here's a completely pointless fact for you, I went to a Hey Hey its Saturday filming back in the day.... on a Thursday. They just cobble an occasional live cross together to make it look live. Like a lot of tv all mostly bullshit/an illusion.

Anyway as for Rabs, 5 years eh. These networks wonder why they go broke.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Watching test tonight reminded me just how sht ch9 is! Been a long time since I watched a game on there. Started in first few minutes with Rabs telling us the score was 4-0 when in fact it was 6-0 and went down hill from there! No wonder they are losing big chunks of their nrl audience.

69-05-41

Juniors
Ray Warren is the John Farnham of commentating. Foxtel are probably paying him to work for Nein so they can jack up their subscriptions. If money is a factor we should crowdfund the geriatric's retirement. He could earn infinitely more than his salary just for promising to go away.

undertaker

Coach
Here's a completely pointless fact for you, I went to a Hey Hey its Saturday filming back in the day.... on a Thursday. They just cobble an occasional live cross together to make it look live. Like a lot of tv all mostly bullshit/an illusion.

Yes, I was well aware that Hey Hey in the '90s was predominantly filmed on Thursday/Friday night with only the occasional episode on the Saturday night.

The two reunion shows in 2009 got very high ratings.

Sadly, Ch9 thought they could run 20 shows the following year off the back of that whilst maintaining the same 1990s style/format....was never going to work in the 21st century. The tv landscape in Australia has changed so much. Back then, Saturday night football on tv (AFL/NRL/Rugby Union) wasn't as lucrative as it is now. Foxtel/Optus were also relatively new with a low subscription base, so FTA shows still had a large viewership and little competition.

Ray Warren is the John Farnham of commentating

Well, like I mentioned in the John Laws post, there are many people who don't know how to bow out gracefully and unfortunately end up being remembered for staying on too long

Due respect to Ray Warren, but his best is behind him. He really should have retired last season.
IIRC, the constant forgetting of names, mixing up players, messing up the pronunciation of surnames became more prominent when the 2 Friday night game concept was introduced in 2007.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
Firstly he said he wanted to go onto 2012 for the olympics, now this, is he seriously going to commentate when he is 79???

Rex mossop in the final years all over again.

Only in rugby league would we allow one personality to have such a powerful role in the game, everyone is scared of him and no one will tell him to bugger off

Firstly, I don't see him lasting the distance and calling games at 79. He'll retire sometime during the next tv rights deal, or he will be semi-retired and Ch9 will still keep him for the big games (most notably, State of Origin and NRL Grand Final)

Secondly, yes, Mossop was on the way out during his last year at Ch10 (1990), but he was only 62. Rabs is going to be 74 next month.

Finally, I agree with you that Rabs has a very large strangehold in the media (both from Fairfax and News Ltd), but I disagree that Rabs is the only personality to exert such power in the broadcasting of the game. Ray Hadley has also had just as much of an influence, especially during the Gallop years. Since Hadley joined 2GB in 2002, must I remind you of how many years 2GB had the exclusive radio rights (2002-12) and all the subsequent radio blackouts that ensued. Sometimes, during Origin round, there was only 1 game on Saturday night and the Continuous Call Team would be on air from 12-6pm and come 6pm they buzzed off and there was no coverage of the game kicking off at 7:30pm. Again, nothing said about this from the NRL administration.

Then, when Monday Night Football was re-introduced in 2007, 2GB paid to stop other commercial AM radio stations from covering the game. As was written in the 2SM thread, they even stopped Graeme Hughes from hosting a State of Origin legends lunch a few years ago; a corporate function that they themselves weren't even interested in hosting.

Then, the long-awaited World Cup in 2008....2GB get the rights on a silver platter, only to denigrate the international game ad nauseum during their radio coverage, saying it was a waste of time, no one cares etc. etc. Thankfully, New Zealand won that tournament to make Hadley look like a goose.

Then, there is the other abomination, the Continuous Call Team, which was supposedly the flagship radio program of the NRL, but gradually metamorphosed into an amateur version of The Footy Show talking about everything from women's clothes, counselling people calling in over marriage problems and everything non-RL related. What a joke! It took the formation of the ARLC and removal of Gallop to get more decent radio coverage of matches with the increased coverage Triple M took on.

Am watching Souths vs Manly 1992.

The commentary is Rabs, Fatty, Sterlo, Blocker.

Shows how stale 9 is now.

Have to laugh though. Gene Ne-gar-moo is playing for Manly. About 20 minutes later Fatty subtly pronounces it Ngamu for Rabs who 5 minutes later repeats Ne-gar-moo.

Parra

Referee
It's ridiculous and emabarrassing for our game.

That we let Melbourne in? I agree.

And those rules need to be explained to Victorians.

You can always tell a Victorian, you just can't tell him very much.