What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd 13 vs Knights the unofficial official game day thread

Gazzamatta

Coach
What the f**k have we ever done to Yasen Qadiri and Tony Mount, the merkins?
I remember Dennis Mount, a goal kicking front rower signed from Country Firsts when it was a genuine Country Team. If I remember correctly we had a huge plunge of signings from that team. Graham Lye a pretty good 5/8 who I think played for NSW. Terry Scurfield a very handy winger and Laurie Wakefield a smalish but competent fullback with great speed. Will have to google what year that was. Oh! The memories.

emjaycee

Coach
I remember Dennis Mount, a goal kicking front rower signed from Country Firsts when it was a genuine Country Team. If I remember correctly we had a huge plunge of signings from that team. Graham Lye a pretty good 5/8 who I think played for NSW. Terry Scurfield a very handy winger and Laurie Wakefield a smalish but competent fullback with great speed. Will have to google what year that was. Oh! The memories.
Here you go mate - a big group of debutants that year.

1970 with official club player numbers.

268 Denis Fitzgerald 1970
269 Bland Liles 1970
270 Roy Warby 1970
271 Gary Pethybridge 1970
272 Bob Eldridge 1970
273 Kevin MacFarlane 1970
274 Greg Hyde 1970
275 Graham Lye 1970
276 Dennis Mount 1970

277 Rod Tolhurst 1970
278 Terry Scurfield 1970
279 Laurie Wakefield 1970

280 Tony Bargh 1970

Source: www.parraeels.com.au

Gazzamatta

Coach
I remember most.
Bland Liles was a Kiwi fullback. Not bad either.
Gary Pethebridge one of my all time favourites. An excellent center who loved his greyhounds. Was coach of the 21s/23s one year. Had the team playing wonderful attacking footy.
Im pretty sure Greg Hyde was Frank Hydes son.
Kevin McFarlane was a pretty good winger.
Cheers

emjaycee

Coach
I remember most.
Bland Liles was a Kiwi fullback. Not bad either.
Gary Pethebridge one of my all time favourites. An excellent center who loved his greyhounds. Was coach of the 21s/23s one year. Had the team playing wonderful attacking footy.
Im pretty sure Greg Hyde was Frank Hydes son.
Kevin McFarlane was a pretty good winger.
Cheers
And you forgot to mention Fitzgerald was in hindsight (40 year later), the worst signing of 1970 we could have wished for.

Chipmunk

Coach
Serious qn and to be answered in a non death rider fashion only please:-

Can a side who are focused and competitive really be a chance to win a game when you lose your fullback after 3 mins and your halfback after 18 mins ?

16. Parramatta Eels (16)

A pretty diabolical performance. It was a game they would've thought was very winnable given the way Newcastle were struggling, but nothing is going right for the Eels. They have no confidence and have obviously forgotten how to win.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/04/jamie-sowards-power-rankings-storm-ready-to-pounce/

I can understand a team who loses their fullback and halfback attack being affected, but should a team who loses their two worst defenders then still let in 5 tries?

Bazal

Post Whore
I can understand a team who loses their fullback and halfback attack being affected, but should a team who loses their two worst defenders then still let in 5 tries?

FFS

By the end of the game we had a backrower defending on the wing.

It's utterly irrelevant that Smith and Moses were replaced by "better" defenders when their loss meant defending players in positions where they had absolutely no business defending.

emjaycee

Coach
Moses and French haven't been our worst tacklers in any game since at least Round 7.
These honours have gone to Norman, Gutho, Mennings, Gennings and twice to Taka.

strider

Post Whore
Can someone hurry up and create the "Round 13 vs Knights play of the day" thread

Such a fantastic series of threads

Gazzamatta

Coach
And you forgot to mention Fitzgerald was in hindsight (40 year later), the worst signing of 1970 we could have wished for.
Lol. Yup. Not a bad player though. I remember him playing a fantastic game in Ken Thornetts return game for The Eels in 1971 after initially retiring in 1968. I think it was at Belmore V The Berries.

Latest posts