What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd 5 Eels vs The Mighty Raiders game day thread

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Any proof they weren't legit???

The problems started when the new board weren't capable to source any new TPA's after Spags and his Cowboys were punted. His merkin mates pulled their support and TPA's when he got rissoled

Considering they were failed plumbers and used cars salesmen we shouldn't really be shocked. And what's to stop the new board to source proper TPA's???? They would of been brought in for that exact reason.
Are you talking about the old old board? Who cares about them? They are old old news.

As for the new board looking for 'legit' TPAs, I can't see why legit sponsors would want to sponsor individual players over the club. It's the kind of thing a wealthy (or business owning) fan would do, not a sponsor. The club has a lot more brand recognition than any individual player. In fact our best players all seem to be dopes, scumbags or jailbirds. That doesn't stop me loving them, but I wouldn't sponsor them for my business.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Are you talking about the old old board? Who cares about them? They are old old news.

As for the new board looking for 'legit' TPAs, I can't see why legit sponsors would want to sponsor individual players over the club. It's the kind of thing a wealthy (or business owning) fan would do, not a sponsor. The club has a lot more brand recognition than any individual player. In fact our best players all seem to be dopes, scumbags or jailbirds. That doesn't stop me loving them, but I wouldn't sponsor them for my business.
So why can other clubs do it then??? Or is every club just cheating??? Source???? At least the club has a ready made excuse for failure. Go team!!!

hineyrulz

Post Whore
'Proper TPAs' are as rare as hens teeth. Some actually exist but if they make up even 1% of accepted TPAs I'd be surprised. It's just a 'see no evil, hear no evil' tactic.
As i said to Pou at least the club has a ready made excuse for being mediocre. Well besides about 20 of our 70 years we have been a mediocre pathetic laughing stock.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
You tell me then. Why do other clubs manage it?
Ummm not being run by absolute morons who only actually care about the club and not what it can do for them for starters???? Have a look at the Roosters board and then have a look at we have had the last 8 years and get back to me.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Ummm not being run by absolute morons who only actually care about the club and not what it can do for them for starters???? Have a look at the Roosters board and then have a look at we have had the last 8 years and get back to me.
I think the fact that our management structure has been changed very recently to be more like that of the Roosters probably has something to do with it.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If you think change can happen as soon as there's a new board then I guess so. Personally what I think we need are wealthy fans rather than sponsors. That's where we'll get 'legit' TPAs, and maybe sponsors can become wealthy fans, but I don't think it will happen quickly.

strider

Post Whore
'Proper TPAs' are as rare as hens teeth. Some actually exist but if they make up even 1% of accepted TPAs I'd be surprised. It's just a 'see no evil, hear no evil' tactic.
I couldnt agree more ... and i reckon the 1% are likely things like cam smiths's ugly smirk on foxtel once every 5 weeks .... absolute elite players can probably get some legit tpas but thats a very small number of players

Agree with Pou - I struggle to see whats in it for sponsors to theow their money at a single player rather than the club

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
That's right. It's got nothing to do with the board and everything to do with the types of fans we have. Maybe some rich merkin like Spagnolo could throw us a few TPAs but he seems to be a vindictive merkin, and probably isn't in the mood to help us unless it's on his terms.

emjaycee

Coach
Legit TPA's would only make sense from 2 points of view IMO.
1. A wealthy fan, with a business who wants to support the club via helping secure better quality player(s)
2. A business (fan or otherwise) who wants to use a player as part of their marketing strategy however said player has to be recognisable without the need for association with the club or NRL via logos etc. This limits the player pool significantly. Think Slater for QLD Banana's, Semi for Fiji Airways, Jennings for Nike or any of the Broncos or Nth Qld players for any Qld based company.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Can someone explain to me how this week's NRL Hit of the Week isn't a blatant shoulder charge? Players have been suspended for much less IMO.