What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd15: Parra v Souths live game day thread 14/6/18

emjaycee

Coach
Mad merkin has had two charges in his first two NRL games.

And neither of those were deserved in the context of the games IMHO.
I just hope these early charges and the resultant suspension don't put him off his enthusiastic approach to defence.

84 Baby

Referee
Why was that tackle from Mahoney any worse than the one on Hoffman
Gunco asked the same question to ref last night. Neither were penalties. Both were caused by the attacking players moving their after impact. Murray ducked his head under Mahoney’s arms

Gronk

Staff member
Two things I heard / read / saw today.

1. Todd DID make his decision about the ceasing the ref blitz after seeing Sterlo beg him last Sunday.

2. Trent Barrett said in his presser that the fact that he does not have a fit hooker but the NRL wont let him play a development player is stupid. He said that they can't make the semis and he'd love to give a few development kids 12 games and a pre-season but they won't let him.

Noise

Coach
2. Trent Barrett said in his presser that the fact that he does not have a fit hooker but the NRL wont let him play a development player is stupid. He said that they can't make the semis and he'd love to give a few development kids 12 games and a pre-season but they won't let him.

Is Hastings injured? He has played plenty of hooker

Bazal

Post Whore
Two things I heard / read / saw today.

1. Todd DID make his decision about the ceasing the ref blitz after seeing Sterlo beg him last Sunday.

Barrett has Jackson Hastings. And Lewis Brown. The NRL are 100% right to suggest he should use them

Barrett is a f**kwit who tried to get an exemption instead of playing the players at his club, and now he's trying to put pressure on the NRL to approve it

strider

Post Whore
A bunch of teams chose not to take the chance with Hastings .... you gotta live with your deccision trenty boy

strider

Post Whore
A bunch of teams chose not to take the chance with Hastings .... you gotta live with your deccision trenty boy
Having said that, i reckon the not being able to use development players thing seems a bit odd ... tho i guess it would just make it a 36 player squad if you could

Chipmunk

Coach
I think they should relax the use of development players for teams who are no longer in contention to make the Top 8 so that they can use who they like against other teams that can no longer realistically make the Top 8. So when Parra, Dogs, Cowboys and Manly all play each other (and those that later stop being in contention of the Top 8) for the rest of the year, they can use who they like.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
And neither of those were deserved in the context of the games IMHO.
I just hope these early charges and the resultant suspension don't put him off his enthusiastic approach to defence.
Can’t believe the club didn’t fight the charge, oh that’s right that would of cost money and we can’t have that!!

IFR33K

Coach
I think they should relax the use of development players for teams who are no longer in contention to make the Top 8 so that they can use who they like against other teams that can no longer realistically make the Top 8. So when Parra, Dogs, Cowboys and Manly all play each other (and those that later stop being in contention of the Top 8) for the rest of the year, they can use who they like.

Why would they want to allow weaker teams to develop their squads?

Chipmunk

Coach
Can’t believe the club didn’t fight the charge, oh that’s right that would of cost money and we can’t have that!!

I presume that either Pritchard and Will Smith will be fit for the next round anyway, so he wouldn't have been able to be picked anyway.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
They should just let development players play NRL without any restrictions, it’s a stupid rule!!

What benefit is a club receiving by using a development player?

If they were superstar juniors they wouId probably be top 30 every way and while clubs are only likely to use their development players if they have injuries.

So really there is no massive benefit to the sides using them!

Gronk

Staff member
They should just let development players play NRL without any restrictions, it’s a stupid rule!!

What benefit is a club receiving by using a development player?

If they were superstar juniors they wouId probably be top 30 every way and while clubs are only likely to use their development players if they have injuries.

So really there is no massive benefit to the sides using them!

Agree. The player limit was implemented to stop clubs like Roosters, Storm, Broncos from warehousing talent. Needs to be a balance obviously.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I presume that either Pritchard and Will Smith will be fit for the next round anyway, so he wouldn't have been able to be picked anyway.
That’s not the point it was a BS charge and we should of fought it.

They will keep charging our club with Bs charges if we just keep pleading guilty. A couple of ones against Mau come to mind.

No fight on the field and no fight off it.

Gronk

Staff member
That’s not the point it was a BS charge and we should of fought it.

They will keep charging our club with Bs charges if we just keep pleading guilty. A couple of ones against Mau come to mind.

No fight on the field and no fight off it.

But fighting the charge and losing means you get heaps of carry-over points. On balance they are best to cop it sweet. Zero to do with club culture of being soft.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Agree. The player limit was implemented to stop clubs like Roosters, Storm, Broncos from warehousing talent. Needs to be a balance obviously.

I don’t think it wouId help them warehouse players.

Say a development contract has to be a maximum $60k (there wouId be no incentive to leave their club, as all development players earn the same), if a rookie was a “superstar” junior, then clubs wouId “bid” for him as a top 30 player (so he could earn more) thus not helping those clubs to warehouse players.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
But fighting the charge and losing means you get heaps of carry-over points. On balance they are best to cop it sweet. Zero to do with club culture of being soft.
It was a BS charge, no different to what the Souths bloke did earlier. Show footage of both and then say what’s the difference FMD it’s not that hard.

Why wouldn’t you fight it???

Mau has had a few BS charges against him the last few years and we have never fought one.

The club is weak as piss on and off the field.