What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd23: Parra v Storm GAME DAY thread 17/8/18

Gronk

Staff member
Is this about Moses?

Because if so, I agree - some of his plays are mind-numbingly insipid at times, and they are the sort of plays that look good on replay.
I think a fair case has been made on this site in the past 24 hours that there are very few half backs who are not erratic and fail to manage their team the way they should.

Broncos- erratic
Bunnies - Reynolds has been historically ineffective until recently when his monster pack aimed up.
Manly - DCE is agood player but their position on the table shows that he needs his pack to create space. When they do, he can control the ruck.
Tits -Taylor is young and will take another 2 or 3 years and a decent pack.
Storm - they have three 7s and cant decide. All erratic.
Eels - Moses - plays well when his pack creates space. Is poor against good line speed.
Panthers -Cleary is a myth. Great prospect but Moloney really drives the bus.
Knights - Pearce has his file marked never to play for NSW again however at age 27/28 his experience is now making him a top 3 half
Tigers - Brookes is hot n cold. Benji and Farrar make him look good.
Dragons - Hunt. Say no more.
Sharks - whatshisname with the nice hair has few errors in his game and does his job. Points come from Moylan but.
Cows- Goat is done. They will play a kid there Clifford next year or maybe Morgan.
Raiders - who is their 7 ? Williams ?
Roosters - Cronk is the man but only has 2019 left.

Sack Moses and be very careful what his replacement might look like. History says Brown will not be a consistent half until he hits 150 fg games.

Gronk

Staff member
Another great reply, well done. Keep this up and you could win the titty twister trophy two years running.
We got beat by the comp leaders in a game that left us with a lot of what ifs. The days following a loss you bang the desk and demand heads to roll. Always. From my POV we can hold our heads high bc we did not roll over and had a dig. The days of us imploding are behind us.

Yes we shat ourselves in the final 20 and should have found a way to win, but Storm are very good in the scramble and even with 12 on had debilitating line speed. Yes we should have been smarter, but these merkins are the benchmark.

Keep banging the desk, but whilst we could have played better, we did not play bad.

hindy111

Post Whore
I think a fair case has been made on this site in the past 24 hours that there are very few half backs who are not erratic and fail to manage their team the way they should.

Broncos- erratic
Bunnies - Reynolds has been historically ineffective until recently when his monster pack aimed up.
Manly - DCE is agood player but their position on the table shows that he needs his pack to create space. When they do, he can control the ruck.
Eels - Moses - plays well when his pack creates space. Is poor against good line speed.
Knights - Pearce has his file marked never to play for NSW again however at age 27/28 his experience is now making him a top 3 half
Sharks - whatshisname with the nice hair has few errors in his game and does his job. Points come from Moylan but.
Cows- Goat is done. They will play a kid there Clifford next year or maybe Morgan.

Sack Moses and be very careful what his replacement might look like. History says Brown will not be a consistent half until he hits 150 fg games.

Do you think the lack of half talemt is due to the game itself? I feel a lot of halves are doing a carbon copy of each other and why these average guys like Townsend and Green arr almost as good as your Top shelf halves.
Most on the last just put up some sort of bomb. Hardly see teams kicking for good feild possesion or touch . The backline movements are all simmilar. Things like chip and chase or grubbers for self are gone. It is more about controlling the game. Defenses are better and gaps are smaller.
We can bag Moses all we want. But top teams have more threats in the spine. I dont think Eels have any bar Norman and Moses. Mahoney may turn out a fine player and same goes with Salmon and then Moses will look good.
Look at the spines of the top 8 teams. Most have not only options in spin but some sort of strike 2nd rower who when 2 out they do a set play and unload to him.
If Moses had a Solomona or Hess or Papali, Frizell etc running straighy and hard from a few meters put and he can get them in a one on one or even a tiny gap they will score. I have seen heaps of games where Brown or Mannah or Manu or Tepai has had that chance but just not quite powerfull enough.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
We got beat by the comp leaders in a game that left us with a lot of what ifs. The days following a loss you bang the desk and demand heads to roll. Always. From my POV we can hold our heads high bc we did not roll over and had a dig. The days of us imploding are behind us.

Yes we shat ourselves in the final 20 and should have found a way to win, but Storm are very good in the scramble and even with 12 on had debilitating line speed. Yes we should have been smarter, but these merkins are the benchmark.

Keep banging the desk, but whilst we could have played better, we did not play bad.
LOL!!! I'm so glad you think I bang the desk. You think we didn't play bad and only losing by 16 is a good effort. I don't, Bellamy was up by 20 and he still didn't look happy with his team, I suppose thats the difference between a club like the Storm and their winning culture and a club like ours which is used to just making the numbers. I happen to think that second half once again we were absolutely woeful in attack let down by the usual suspects. But once again I think Reed showed he is a first grader and Guth really could be a top quality centre. Don't know id Normy is the option at 1 going forward though.

Gronk

Staff member
Do you think the lack of half talemt is due to the game itself? I feel a lot of halves are doing a carbon copy of each other and why these average guys like Townsend and Green arr almost as good as your Top shelf halves.
Most on the last just put up some sort of bomb. Hardly see teams kicking for good feild possesion or touch . The backline movements are all simmilar. Things like chip and chase or grubbers for self are gone. It is more about controlling the game. Defenses are better and gaps are smaller.
We can bag Moses all we want. But top teams have more threats in the spine. I dont think Eels have any bar Norman and Moses. Mahoney may turn out a fine player and same goes with Salmon and then Moses will look good.
Look at the spines of the top 8 teams. Most have not only options in spin but some sort of strike 2nd rower who when 2 out they do a set play and unload to him.
If Moses had a Solomona or Hess or Papali, Frizell etc running straighy and hard from a few meters put and he can get them in a one on one or even a tiny gap they will score. I have seen heaps of games where Brown or Mannah or Manu or Tepai has had that chance but just not quite powerfull enough.
I think the lack of 7s is because expectations are that anything less than JT Cronk or Sterlo is a fail. Facts are that there are factors outside the 7s control. He needs space and as you say needs a decent spine.

hindy111

Post Whore
I think the lack of 7s is because expectations are that anything less than JT Cronk or Sterlo is a fail. Facts are that there are factors outside the 7s control. He needs space and as you say needs a decent spine.

He needs someoneone with Nuts to pass to on strike plays.And a damaging mid.
I repeat myself 1000x times. The passes where commentstors blow there balls are due to the player cwtching them being able to create something with half a chance. Moses and Norman put pur guys in those spots but they arent able to turn those chances into anything. Yes we have plenty of good forwards but none have that knockem down like bowling pins.
I reckon a fit JNR will cause damage or atleast tire the defense with 3 or 4 guys needed to stop him. Then you want to spread it and hope to hit a hard running 2nd rower or centre.

hindy111

Post Whore
Maloney looks great cause feeding Kikau
Jt feeds Hess after Tamoulo does damage
Cronk has Cordner,Heargraves and Teddy who dangerous as along with Latrell.
Souths bulldoze you with burgess boys then put Crighton or Ingliss into a strike play.

Moses has what exactly to work with? Alvaro,Brown or Mannah workn it up then hitting Tepai or Jennings or Taka? You see the difference right?

hindy111

Post Whore
And Panthers have gone to shit cause the middle forwards arent creating space so when go wide the strike guys are well covered.

Gronk

Staff member
LOL!!! I'm so glad you think I bang the desk. You think we didn't play bad and only losing by 16 is a good effort. I don't, Bellamy was up by 20 and he still didn't look happy with his team, I suppose thats the difference between a club like the Storm and their winning culture and a club like ours which is used to just making the numbers. I happen to think that second half once again we were absolutely woeful in attack let down by the usual suspects. But once again I think Reed showed he is a first grader and Guth really could be a top quality centre. Don't know id Normy is the option at 1 going forward though.
I don’t think that having lofty expectations for your team is a bad thing. I mean we all want to be the best. However I think it’s a waste of energy getting hyped up when a really good team makes us look bad. We certainly had opportunities to score points, but it was the relentless pressure that forced our blunders. We panicked all right, but to aim up at Moses et al who showed only 7 days ago that they are not nuffies, is pretty short sighted. We failed to capitalise against the benchmark team. Get to the end of the long queue of teams who have done that.

Eelementary

Post Whore

Broncos- erratic

I see what you are saying.

However, there have been several games this year where our forwards have laid a good platform, and created space, and Moses was MIA.

I know there is no better option, and to be frank, that depresses me.

Eelementary

Post Whore
To add to my previous post:

Our second game against Penrith
Our first game against the Dragons
Our game against Newcastle

All could have been won; our forwards did their jobs, but Moses (and Norman; however, Norman has demonstrated he is up to it, and his stats compare favorably to Moses') was unable to do anything with space and field territory.

Cleary - who has won an Origin series with NSW - is a myth?

Then surely Moses is a lot worse?

Gronk

Staff member
I see what you are saying.

However, there have been several games this year where our forwards have laid a good platform, and created space, and Moses was MIA.

I know there is no better option, and to be frank, that depresses me.

Sterlo just suggested that Moses studdies Mitchell Pearce tapes on game mangement. That may well be good advice, but MP debuted in 2007 and the Roosters punted him after a decade and 220 games as not being the answer for them. My point is that unless you are a freak and future goat, game management takes a long time to develop. Hopefully not 10 years for whoever is our long term big dog.

Gronk

Staff member
To add to my previous post:

Our second game against Penrith
Our first game against the Dragons
Our game against Newcastle

All could have been won; our forwards did their jobs, but Moses (and Norman; however, Norman has demonstrated he is up to it, and his stats compare favorably to Moses') was unable to do anything with space and field territory.

Cleary - who has won an Origin series with NSW - is a myth?

Then surely Moses is a lot worse?

You are right, Moses is still too immature to make the right calls at the right time.

Cleary is a young half and may well be already better than Moses and Brookes, but he can’t run a team. He was lost yesterday. He was full rabbit in headlights :scream:.

He might end up a goat, but Tim Smith was doing more than him in his break out season. Poor Timmy.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Yep. There are several halves better than Moses but they are still capable of producing plop.

Outside of Cronk and JT the only consistently good halves are DCE, Maloney and Pearce...and Hiney will probably spit his XXXX gold all over himself when he sees Pearce on that list.

Given that we can’t pull a great halfback out of our dates we need to play in a way that takes the pressure off Moses. In the game against @Alec's-saints Red and White mincers we had several points of attack, with Norman chiming in from the back and Hayne having a roving commission. We didn’t do that as well against the Storm and I think it was one of the reasons we looked so lost.

Something to focus on in the offseason.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Yep. There are several halves better than Moses but they are still capable of producing plop.

Outside of Cronk and JT the only consistently good halves are DCE, Maloney and Pearce...and Hiney will probably spit his XXXX gold all over himself when he sees Pearce on that list.

Given that we can’t pull a great halfback out of our dates we need to play in a way that takes the pressure off Moses. In the game against @Alec's-saints Red and White mincers we had several points of attack, with Norman chiming in from the back and Hayne having a roving commission. We didn’t do that as well against the Storm and I think it was one of the reasons we looked so lost.

Something to focus on in the offseason.
Pearce is a quality first grade half back, it’s just the next level he has always struggled at.

And the big games at the pointy end of the season has had some poor games. It’s why he was moved on for Cronk.

Gazzamatta

Coach
A couple of weeks ago we beat the Dogs and I thought we were terrible. Friday night we tried our guts out. We played with a B Grade pack against the best pack in the league. Brave yes but second rate. I thought Moses tried very hard but our tactics wernt great. Sure Moses does some stupid things but its not through a lack of effort. Better forwards and a better attacking formula will help heaps. We cant win on courage alone. We need a better game plan. That said our fitness, our defence and even our attack have improved from our diabolical start. Im optomistic for next year if the Review achieves what its intended to.

Latest posts