What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd4: Non Parra games

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Coming 4th and going out backwards is not peaking.
Sure it is, if you play better teams. Look at the talent in the Storm and Cowboys sides. There's a reason they're in the finals every year. If it's just about coaching why did the Storm cheat the cap for five years? Why do the Cowboys keep buying players?

Djay

Juniors
Why wouldn't we go backwards after a peak? That is the nature of peaks. Name one other coach whose team hasn't peaked and gone backwards? Premierships aren't inevitable, and it is the lucky coach whose team wins a premiership every time it peaks.

I think it's likely. We were spending more money on players at the time as well. No coincidence.

Sure there is. It's three f**king games FFS. Bad luck happens, just like good luck. Does Arthur's 29 wins in the last two years mean nothing because we lost to better teams in the finals then lost three straight to start the year? He has earnt the benefit of the doubt.

If that's your idea of a peak then what is winning a premiership?

What we did last year was good yes, it was a peak considering what we have endured in recent times, but we should be building on that, not sitting on our laurels and being proud of our effort last year.

That should not be considered a peak.

BA deserves our benefit of the doubt and he has mine but we cannot afford to be going backwards this year after what we did last year.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Sure it is, if you play better teams. Look at the talent in the Storm and Cowboys sides. There's a reason they're in the finals every year. If it's just about coaching why did the Storm cheat the cap for five years? Why do the Cowboys keep buying players?
Winning the comp is peaking, 4th and going out backwards is not peaking.

Just keep shifting those goal posts.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If that's your idea of a peak then what is winning a premiership?
A peak by a better team, or just a team with more luck.
What we did last year was good yes, it was a peak considering what we have endured in recent times, but we should be building on that, not sitting on our laurels and being proud of our effort last year.
Except what if that's the best it gets for us, under the salary cap? I'm not saying it necessarily is, but it might be.
That should not be considered a peak.

BA deserves our benefit of the doubt and he has mine but we cannot afford to be going backwards this year after what we did last year.
We might have no other choice. It is harder to improve from a high base. If we were at our maximum value under the cap last year it would be impossible to improve on that. Throw in the likelihood that we had more than an even share of luck and it's entirely likely we will win fewer games this year. But assuming we make the finals we are highly unlikely to face the eventual grand finalists in successive weeks so we are a decent chance (maybe evens) of winning at least one finals match.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Winning the comp is peaking, 4th and going out backwards is not peaking.

Just keep shifting those goal posts.
My goalposts haven't moved. They are realistic. Last year I tipped us to make the eight (with top four possibility) if we got a halfback and this year I am tipping us to do the same - top eight with a possibility of top four. If we finish 5th to 8th it won't mean we went backwards. It will mean we had less luck than last year. If we miss the eight I will consider us to have gone backwards, and I won't be pointing the finger. Teams go backwards all the time. The important thing is how you bounce back the following year.

lingard

Coach
And it’s all working well, the Leagues club only exists to prop up the football club. What’s the f**king point of having either if we aren’t doing everything possible to win a comp.

We also don’t have a defensive coach, but yay go the Leagues club!!

We don't have a defensive coach?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
My goalposts haven't moved. They are realistic. Last year I tipped us to make the eight (with top four possibility) if we got a halfback and this year I am tipping us to do the same - top eight with a possibility of top four. If we finish 5th to 8th it won't mean we went backwards. It will mean we had less luck than last year. If we miss the eight I will consider us to have gone backwards, and I won't be pointing the finger. Teams go backwards all the time. The important thing is how you bounce back the following year.
More Pou defenive waffle.

Nope, we never replaced Gentle, or a head of football.

We just can'y afford it, the club is on the bones of it's arse if you listen to Pou.
We still have an administrator holding the purse strings. As good as it's been for lack of scandals, it's also had an effect on football spending. It's not that we can't afford this stuff, it's more like we're just not putting the money in to areas that might be seen as providing less value for money. Max's priority is to do what he was brought in to do by the NRL and to protect his reputation. To me, that and the footy club's success is a conflict of interests. I think we're in a bit of a holding pattern atm. We aren't going to have huge success without proper spending (and TPAs), but we won't have the lows either that factions and board messes can bring.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
We still have an administrator holding the purse strings. As good as it's been for lack of scandals, it's also had an effect on football spending. It's not that we can't afford this stuff, it's more like we're just not putting the money in to areas that might be seen as providing less value for money. Max's priority is to do what he was brought in to do by the NRL and to protect his reputation. To me, that and the footy club's success is a conflict of interests. I think we're in a bit of a holding pattern atm. We aren't going to have huge success without proper spending (and TPAs), but we won't have the lows either that factions and board messes can bring.
Surely it's time for Max to get his reforms through and then ride off into the sunset???? Because if what you say is true what is the point??? The team isn't do it's best to win a comp yet they are happy to take peoples money for memberships.

Surely it's time for Max to get his reforms through and then ride off into the sunset???? Because if what you say is true what is the point??? The team isn't do it's best to win a comp yet they are happy to take peoples money for memberships.
It does seem to be taking a long time. I'm just speculating too, I don't have any info. Maybe it's taking so long because Max doesn't really have the power to make the changes he's supposed to. As for taking money when they're no chance of winning, that's not right. They are a chance, with a bit of luck, just like most teams in the NRL. But of course the odds are far greater for the teams that spend more.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
It does seem to be taking a long time. I'm just speculating too, I don't have any info. Maybe it's taking so long because Max doesn't really have the power to make the changes he's supposed to. As for taking money when they're no chance of winning, that's not right. They are a chance, with a bit of luck, just like most teams in the NRL. But of course the odds are far greater for the teams that spend more.
But if the club isn't doing all it can to win a comp i'd say they are taking peoples money under deception.

But if the club isn't doing all it can to win a comp i'd say they are taking peoples money under deception.
Yeah but the club isn't just one person, one mind. I'm sure that most of the people at the club are doing all they can. And they believe they can win a comp. What about when we had f**kwits running the club? Surely people can understand that that means we're not doing all we can to win a comp? Or to put it another way, that there's the potential for unstable or poor management to get in the way of the footy team's success? This is just a different compromise.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Who are they deceiving? I'm under no illusions about our chances. Also haven't given them my money.

Anyway, you're obviously not deceived. You think we're bound for the f**ken spoon! I hope you didn't spend any money on a membership.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah but the club isn't just one person, one mind. I'm sure that most of the people at the club are doing all they can. And they believe they can win a comp.
Damn straight we can win the comp. Last year we were about a about a 1 in 5 or 6 chance (IMO) after we made the finals. This year we're probably less chance but still in with a shot. Better than 1 in 16 at least. IMO.