What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Really NZ???

Timbo

Staff member
NZ's announced its home summer schedule - four tests and about eight million limited overs games. It was originally five tests, but they cancelled one against the Windies for more T20s.

Furthermore, they said this would be their standard patter for home summers to come.

So much for wanting to promote and climb the test cricket ladder.

Iafeta

Referee
Disappointing.

But in fairness teams don't for whatever reason want to play anything beyond two tests. On the tours we go on, the most we ever get offered is three tests, on a lot of occasions it's one or two. It's not like Australia or England who draw large crowds (particularly the Barmy Army) and so usually get 4-5 test series.

Whilst it's not great, we are well conditioned to it by what we receive on tours.

edabomb

First Grade
We'll be heading into that lower tier of test nations very shortly I think. Bring on the Afghans.

vvvrulz

Coach
This is the future folks, it's all about big bats, big sixes and big big levers.

King hit

Coach
At least they will get a contest if they play the twenty/20 games against the Windies.

Das Gupta

Juniors
As a test dinosaur its disappointing to see test matches get cut back home, but it seems to be the way things are going.

Reactions: JJ

Meth

Staff member
As a test dinosaur its disappointing to see test matches get cut back home, but it seems to be the way things are going.

Yeah, exactly.

I think it's in the interest of the game to preserve Test cricket as the ultimate.

I also think it's in the interest of the game to reduce T20 to a sideshow.

However, I am in the smallest of minorities on that front and commercial realities are moving us along in precisely the opposite direction.

Timbo

Staff member
It's also a bit of a slap in the face to guys like Watling and Wagner, who have been amongst your most consistent performers for a while, but who will quietly shuffle out of the professional scene before long as a result.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Twenty/20 is here to stay.

Shorter better profit margin.

ODIs will go.

Tests will stay as the players know it is a real test of who is better.

One good ininngs or spell of bowling can win you a limited overs game.

50 years or so ago someone said lets shorten this, then 10 or so ago someone said less go shorter. Both times correct calls.

Tests still endure and players want to win them.

Limited overs will remain but only one form of it. That will get them paid. Started with Packer

Last edited: