What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Really smelly farts, same time, every day

Approximately 12 months ago it all started and was wondering if there was anyone who could help me.

Every day at approximately 2:00 i get really gassy and pass wind every 3 minutes or so, and the smell is very very putrid. The farts will last until I go to bed and are gone by morning and the process repeats.

Before this started everything was normal, my bowel motions were perfect, no wiping or anything needed. Ever since this started it always feels like I haven't finished taking a dump and I always need to wipe heaps. My bowel motions are still quite regular though, perhaps a little softer.

Both the farting and the changed bowel motions started at the same time.

My diet is no different now, then what it was before these symptoms started. My diet is quite balanced, fruit, veges, meat, the occasional bad snack.

I exercise 5 days a week.

I get no bloating or abdominal discomfort.

The symptoms started when I was deployed to the middle east and I also had a holiday to Thailand around the time it started as well.

I have tried googling this the best I could come up with was maybe too much bad bacteria and not enough good bacteria.

Discuss.

shaggs

Coach
What about a parasite? Inadvertent consumption through food or water, most likely in Thailand, since you were supplied with all water and food in the middle east.

Are you in Sydney. Pm me and I will give you the name of a doc who can sort you out.

What about a parasite? Inadvertent consumption through food or water, most likely in Thailand, since you were supplied with all water and food in the middle east.

Are you in Sydney. Pm me and I will give you the name of a doc who can sort you out.

Could be, I was also in Aghanistan for a bit, had a little bit to do the the ANA. One of the girls I worked with contracted some sort of worms, made her quite sick.

Did you have any antibiotics around that time?

Yes, I was on Doxycycline on and off for malaria prophylaxis when in Afghan.

Fire

First Grade
Yeah I'm guessing parasite from overseas. See your doctor ASAP (to find out exact cause and get proper treatment).

gUt

Coach
Yes, I was on Doxycycline on and off for malaria prophylaxis when in Afghan.

I'm no doctor but I thought malaria was a parasite rather than a germ. Anyway I raised it because I had a course of Amoxcyl for a chest infection that did something to my guts that lasted for months. I rarely take A.B.s if I can avoid them so I put my new belly problems down to that.

I'm no doctor but I thought malaria was a parasite rather than a germ. Anyway I raised it because I had a course of Amoxcyl for a chest infection that did something to my guts that lasted for months. I rarely take A.B.s if I can avoid them so I put my new belly problems down to that.

Yeah, doxycycline just contains it in the liver, then you take another medication to eradicate it.

Have you had any treatment for your gut issues? Have you tried a probiotic?

Yeah I'm guessing parasite from overseas. See your doctor ASAP (to find out exact cause and get proper treatment).

I havnt really considered it as I am not showing any of the classic symptoms such as flu like symptoms, weight loss, increased appetite, itchy ass etc etc.

Snoochies

First Grade
Yes every morning, with weet bix. Heard that being gluten intolerant can do it as well

I went through a similar stage and it was like clockwork, the same time every day. Cut out the milk and it went away. I have reintroduced some milk and don't have the same problems anymore.

Try it and see if it works.

shaggs

Coach
Yeah milk and/or wheat products can cause this type of issue. The body can handle a fair bit, but eventually the toxins build up to a point where you are effected. Kind of like a glass with water.

I don't drink or eat dairy cause of this. Dropped 10kg, heaps of gut issues. Think it started similarly to what toy described, but then became more urgent. Dropped the milk and put weight back on and now no issues.

The no weight loss confuses it for me though. Try almond milk. Tastes good and see how you go.

Interesting. Might try a probiotic first and see how that goes, then cut out the milk. I love milk so I dont really wanna cut it out, but if it stops these bloody farts then I am willing to try.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
You work out 5 times a week? Do you eat a lot of protein?

I find when I up the amount of protein that I eat in my diet similar things happen to me.

Alternatively I've also heard some people complain that using a whey concentrate protein powder gives them the same sort of issues.

You work out 5 times a week? Do you eat a lot of protein?

I find when I up the amount of protein that I eat in my diet similar things happen to me.

Alternatively I've also heard some people complain that using a whey concentrate protein powder gives them the same sort of issues.

Nah mate, haven't used protein powder for a good 6 or 7 months, so I can rule that out. Thats what I thought it was at first but it can't be that. But every night I will normally have chicken, beef, lamb or mince and the occasional quiche or something like that. Meat portion sizes aren't overly huge.

The only thing in my diet that is consistantly the same every single day is Weet-Bix with milk and honey and a cup of Coffee. The only reason why I have never thought to cut this out is because this has been my breakfast for like the last 4 years.

Ok so an update.

Diet changes: no milk in coffee. But still have about 300ml a day in weet bix.

I ate a tub of pro biotic yoghurt over a few days.

So far my bowel motions are feeling complete with little to no wiping required.

I am still doing smelly farts but not nearly as frequent or pungent as before.

I believe I on my way to being cured, I might make probiotic yoghurt a staple in my diet though.

As was brought up before, I think the issue was the months I was on the antibiotic doxycycline which screwed with the good bacteria in my guts. The more I think of it the more I think my symptoms began around the same time as taking it.

Snoochies

First Grade
Well done.

As I said earlier, try and eliminate milk altogether and see what happens. I went without milk for a few months and my symptoms went away, I have re-introduced milk back and have had no worries.

Good luck with it all.

Latest posts