What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebecca Wilson at it again

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
A ridiculous plan to charge every single young rugby player in the country a registration fee could see entire clubs close their doors.

A rebellion among the junior clubs is afoot which threatens Pulver’s tenuous hold on the job.

When Australian rugby players receive $14,000 in bonuses every time they wear the jersey, while eight-year-olds are forced to fork out for extra money for registration to pay the salaries, you have the makings of a sporting scandal.

I havent heard about this before, but if its true it could be a good chance to enlist some new juniors to RL.

Parra

Referee
It's true. Normal rego is around $100 per player for the season. Most of this is mandatory insurance.

I can't recall if it was the ARU or NSWRU, but the additional fee was around $200 per team that was registered.

Ridiculous.

They moved juniors to a level called "Community Rugby" to denote a split with senior clubs and also a split with the pro level. Part of the idea was to break the association between the kid playing on Saturday and the super rugby teams. This breaks any notion of the need for the Super Rugby teams to do anything at all for juniors. This translates into them doing as little as possible.

With the links being broken, it was interesting to see how valued the juniors were when the controlling body needed cash.

Absolutely and opportunity for local league teams to offer something that is superior.

Parra

Referee
If you care to look closer you'll realise that both rugby codes trail in this area. Big efforts are being made by a rival code that does junior promotions better.

Starkers

Bench
It's an interesting one. For most of their life, Rugby Union has been broke in Australia, but obviously it has been an amateur sport for most of that. From 95 onwards some money came in and then there was the peak period from about 2000 through to 2006. It has probably been in decline financially since then, some of which is a result of expansion they couldn't afford but a lot of capital was squandered on NRL players who came and went.

Here's a list of junior Union clubs: http://juniors.rugby.com.au/About/JuniorClubs.aspx

If I was the NRL I would target them in the west and possibly the south. I would think the Inner West, East and some of the North will pay up. The ones in the North that don't are targets for AFL. The West and some of the South are big targets for the NRL. Parts of the South, West and North will also be targets for Soccer.

The AFL will try in the west, but I can't see them succeeding.

I was sort of surprised by how small that list of junior Union clubs is. But it might not tell the true story of how deep they go with grades. For example, I know Oatley in the South is very strong.

By comparison, here's how the NRL stacks up: http://www.sportingpulse.com/select_node.cgi?cID=1302&p=7

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s-rebecca-wilson/story-fni3fh9n-1227195128664

NRL bloated and bereft following Shane Richardson’s appointment, writes Rebecca Wilson

Rebecca Wilson
The Daily Telegraph
January 24, 2015 12:00AM

A JOYOUS summer of sport was rudely interrupted by the announcement this week that former Souths and Cronulla boss, Shane Richardson, would join the overstaffed and overpaid NRL executive team as “head of game strategy and development”.

Big Richo, a veteran of league administration with what can only be described as a polarising approach, joins three other league executives who have, it appears, exactly the same role. In essence, the Richo gig now brings to four the number of people it has taken the Rugby League Commission to muster as replacements for former boss, David Gallop.

NRL chief Dave Smith, who continues to hire executives faster than he can spend the big bucks from his broadcast rights agreement, has vehemently defended the appointment even though it is bleeding obvious that the role is precisely the job that he is supposed to be doing himself.

“Shane is a good and strong appointment,” he told me this week. “He will provide deep insights into future structures we want for the game and whether that be expansion or draft.”

Last time I checked, Dave Smith was charged with doing that job, as was his football boss, Todd Greenberg and his deputy, Suzanne Young.

In fact, when Young was appointed late last year, I recall similar words being used to describe her role.

Aside from the ridiculous salary bill and top heavy nature of NRL headquarters, where expensive consultants and bosses far outnumber actual workers, Richardson’s appointment proves Smith, Young and Greenberg

are not capable of taking rugby league anywhere near where former banker, Smith, promised they would.

For those with short memories, Gallop was shown the door by Commission chairman, John Grant, because he was not “proactive” enough.

Ten years in the job and almost that preparing for it from within league was not enough to satisfy the egotistical Grant who saw Gallop as too much of his own man.

The hiring of Smith, the chairman claimed several weeks later, was a revolutionary move that would put league on the map as a groundbreaking football code to outdo all of the others.

How a banker with no sporting administration experience was going to deliver on the grand plan is now being answered in the worst possible way.

Just keep adding zeroes to executive salaries, hire more half million dollar executives and hope one of them might have the answers.

A glance at the newspaper files will surprise even the most cynical of us as Smith embarked on making statements and promises on which he is yet to deliver. Expansion, the draft, ‘future strategies’ have been all the rage for two years but not a single move has been made to make any of this happen.

Only a South Sydney grand final win has saved Smith from the departure lounge. Crowds are down, the game has stalled in neutral for several seasons and the chief executive continues to pump out the same “vision” of expansion, draft chatter, bigger audiences than the AFL and a future broadcast agreement that he keeps promising will make our eyes water.

The media message is now being told to journalists outside the game because those within it are jaded and wary of printing any of the rubbish peddled out of a media department big on talk and short on experience.

A footnote to all of this is that Smith has conveniently ignored that two of the blokes hired to do his job (Greenberg and Richardson) turned a blind eye to violence against women by players while they ran their clubs. These are the men who are charged with making the game more female friendly and as egalitarian as the AFL.

Where, may we now ask, is John Grant and the trumped up Commission members? Are questions being asked? Does Grant believe in accountability and is anyone home on the issue of executive salaries? Can someone suggest that perhaps one of these pay packets could fund a junior development program for a year?

Smith returns from holidays on Monday. Little does he know that Richardson, his new lieutenant, has his eye on the big prize. He won’t admit it publicly but Big Richo has always wanted to run the game and now he is poised to make his run. There is no doubt that only club factions could put a halt to his ambitions.

In the meantime, the rugby league fan is the loser. Head office is at sixes and sevens, the engine room has gradually been replaced by a group of ambitious, highly paid officials with big egos and the game is no closer to solving its dilemmas than it was when Smith took the reins.

If January, 2015 is any indicator, it is going to be a long, long year.

no agenda

The Great Dane

First Grade

Say what you will about her, but she is definitely a pretty good propagandist.

Apart from her "the NRL has four overpaid people doing one mans job" line (which is false, as Smith, Richardson, Young and Greenberg all have different jobs that see them overseeing different parts of the game that each need direct oversight in a corporation as big as the NRL, but that is beside the point of my post), she makes no fleshed out points whatsoever just baseless smears on people, all the while still giving off the illusion that she is making well thought out arguments to a person that is not well informed on the NRL or how it is run.

Thus making it impossible to argue her points as she has none! One can only oppose her 'beliefs' (for lack of a better word) to which she simply counters that they are crazed fans who have drunk the NRL's Kool-Aid and thus seemingly discredits them to those not well informed on the topic at hand.

Using this method she can make anything out to be negative to an ill informed onlooker.

insert.pause

First Grade
She likes to act like some well connected authority but she wouldn't have a clue who is responsible for what or what the NRL already have in the pipeline because she doesn't know, not knowing a thing about Richardson's appointment after months of talks with Smith is evident of how out of the loop the telegraph are now. Shes no longer being fed scoops by her buddy gallop and so shes left with writing ill-informed rants to compensate. Hooper tried to preempt richardson's announcement with a vague "the telegraph understands" claiming Greenberg would lose his title and moved into other areas with richo replacing him as Head of Football, they no longer have any idea what the NRL are up to until the NRL leak it and it's leaving a couple of lazy hacks with nothing to write but ignorant rants.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Shane Richardson, would join the overstaffed and overpaid NRL executive team as “head of game strategy and development”.

In essence, the Richo gig now brings to four the number of people it has taken the Rugby League Commission to muster as replacements for former boss, David Gallop.

Correct me if im wrong, but the former Head of Stratagy was Shane Mattiske and not, as DUI Bec claims, the lower left quarter of DGallop??

Which would mean Burbs is, to paraphrase, full of shit.....

(I will say though that its a good thing the ARLC execs arent elected democratically, otherwise the DUI's and Slothfield's various rants could have actually mattered)

Last edited:

TonyT6

Bench
Four executives to run a billion dollar code is overstaffed?

Terrible, terrible article.

She wrote an article a month ago about how all the staff have left, now they bring on new people they are overstated.

Her old columns were just pillow talk from
Her new husband, now there are no leaks she just gives it to them.

Starkers

Bench
Yeah, pretty ordinary effort by her today. None of it makes any real sense at all, other than she clearly hates what's going on. Can't wait for the follow up from Buzz :)

DJShaksta

First Grade
She may be a massive sharks hating cow but she makes some bloody good points in that article.
Now if you'll excuse me I need to go and have an acid bath to remove the stain I have placed on myself.

God-King Dean

Immortal
BridgeCoat.jpg

She isn't allowed to write articles slamming the Wanderers since her brother married Chris Bath so look out for a weekly column of NRL bashing this year

Latest posts