What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel World Cup planned for Pakistan

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Even though it may not be specific enough, there is a name for RL that doesn’t include the term rugby that we could switch too that is already reasonably well known... super league! I can’t see any issues with changing to that...

As for this fake World Cup... I say let it happen (it will increase interest in the combined ‘rugby’) then go in afterwards and poach the players... (do to rugby what they do to us...)

I think that was the aim when they called the comps here and in England "Super League". They start at the top where the name gets exposure then let it filter down to become the standard name for the sport in general (literally what happened with "Rugby League")

Shame the name is so tainted by 1997 here, but it might be long enough in the past to revive.

Its not even like 97s Super League NEEDS to be a bad part of RLs history. Americans refer to their Civil War as a kind of national birth; when the US became one nation. All we need to do is refocus the Super League story and it becomes a history of the best parts of our game.

My mother says it's a game for women, so it is. Do Russia, USA and Canada compete in, guys with a penis v guys with a penis, hockey?

I've heard of the England, Dutch, German, "Aussie" and Pakistani male hockey teams.

I wrote Aussie in inverted commas, as IMO they're English guys living in the wrong country. It's a total waste of time them living there.

I understand the attachment some people have to the word "Rugby", but i think they massively overstate the value (and that is not even mentioning the problems associated with keeping the name)...

The problems are obvious: confusion with the more famous RU, losing all good media to them and the difficulties in explaining RL is an independent sport.

But what are the benefits? That it is a famous word? We could just go with "Football", then; thats SUPER famous. There would be even more confusion than now, but at least its a famous word...

Your from South Wales so I wouldn’t expect you to. In Cumbria where I’m from it’s Rugby.

I take it you dont leave RL areas too often, hey? And you probably just talk to people who already know which Rugby youre are talking about...

Stallion

First Grade
Perhaps "Elite rugby"? After all thats what it really is. A much improved version . Historically the game needed to devise and present a much more attractive code as it did not have establishment backing . In order to generate income to survive rules like the play the ball, 13 players on the field per team, ridding of the cumbersome and ballet like line-out, 6 man scrums etc created a much more expansive and inclusive game to play and watch. Elite rugby ! Lets face it ! It's far superior to the union version.

Last edited:

RedVee

First Grade
My mother says it's a game for women, so it is. Do Russia, USA and Canada compete in, guys with a penis v guys with a penis, hockey?

I've heard of the England, Dutch, German, "Aussie" and Pakistani male hockey teams.

I wrote Aussie in inverted commas, as IMO they're English guys living in the wrong country. It's a total waste of time them living there.
f**kwit.

siv

First Grade
I use the term League

But like SL we have a new term NRL being used everywhere but Europe

Stallion

First Grade
I use the term League

The use of the 'NRL' term has not helped junior recruitment numbers. Its been seen as a mistake over the past decade. A move back to referring to the code as rugby league is in vogue as of this season.

derp

11.png

adamfroese.jpg

150713mt2rfh.jpg

You want to make yourself look like an even bigger moron than you already are?

Russia have never had a hockey team at the Olympics. The USA have never had a men's hockey team in an away Olympics during the colour TV era. Canada haven't had a men's team at the Olympics that often, and the US have never won gold. P'stan and India top the medal chart ffs, and Chris Martin once captained a hockey team, that says it all. Kick those male tooahtz out of Aus who are embarrassing you by playing hockey.

Panfas

Juniors
Hockey is a male sport as much as it is a female sport. In Australia, the split is fairly even between male and female, about 40k registered players each.

Since when does having male Americans play the sport justify whether it is an mens sport? This is just a ridiculous comment.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I use the term League

I think this is the sad reality...

Its not like te sport will just stay as "Rugby League". If no choice is made, the passive choice will be "NRL Football".

THAT is the real choice. Change is innevitable, so do we go with the shitty passive option or do we actively choose a better and more representitive name?

Latest posts