What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebooting the prequels and what to change

sandshark

Bench
I would love for it to happen. I have sat through the prequels numerous times with disgust.
I just cant see George Lucas having agreed to let them do it.
If you have read anything about Lucas well then you would know how defensive he is about them.
He's favourite character is Jar Jar Binks for George sake!

They will go only go forward with the main story line.
Maybe they will make spin off movies around the prequel period to touch up a few things..
If after 15 years they decide to go backwards and start the story again well then they might as well re-do the originals as well.
It won't happen in 15 years. Maybe and I say maybe after about 20 yes they will re do the whole lot. But just re-doing the prequels is pointless. Just like Spiderman reboots.. Everyone knows what happens.

And what is with the foul language? Lets be civil here. Just a discussion.

Last edited:

strong_latte

Juniors
Of course it will. It's way too soon still (well I say that, but then there was a Spider-Man reboot 10 years after the original...) but after this trilogy is done and maybe a spin off or two (which never work as they want) they'll go back to the prequels precisely because they represent an opportunity.

If this series goes well, Disney will have the trust of the fan base to do whatever they like and people will go crazy for the chance to see "the prequels as they should have been"

LESStar58

Referee
Do you actually have a reason why Disney will forgo the opportunity to make a lot of money, or does it just hurt you to think Jar Jar may no longer be cannon one day?

Go back and read my post where I outline the effort that Disney have already made to create a new canon with the books and comics (I'm assuming you can read) and how they have tied this in with events, places and people in the prequel trilogy. Do you think they are going to blow all that up and potentially damage their brand and investment?

And fknlol at your Jar Jar comment! :lol: stop it or I'll cry. :roll:

As I've said earlier in here; I can take or leave the prequels (I was just in the middle of Phantom Menace but had to pause it as my mate just got me on the door for the Misfits show tonight in Melbourne). Usually I watch Sith and then do the OT but I find I can enjoy all the prequels to a degree but usually find myself cringing with monotonous regularity.

LESStar58

Referee
The Star Trek point is a great one actually. There was plenty of LEEStar like fanbois who poopooed the initial rumours about the Abrams reboot because "people love them" etc.

Didn't matter a shit though. The Studio saw a great chance to cash in and they took it. The same will happen with Star Wars, and how anyone could think it won't is silly romanticised nonsense.

Money talks. This will happen.

Ive never seen a Star Trek movie so not sure what you hope to achieve by likening me to the Trekkies...

RoosTah

Juniors
I would love for it to happen. I have sat through the prequels numerous times with disgust.
If you have read anything about Lucas well then you would know how defensive he is about
them.

You don't pay $4bn to get the rights to something and let them put major caveats in about massively limiting the earning potential of you can do with them.

Lucas did stagger the rights structure, so that Disney don't have full rights of the current films until 2020, but that's it.

Latte is probably right that this is more likely a 2030 proposition, but I honestly wouldn't be too surprised to see it sooner. I mean we're talking about films so bad there are a litany of online shows actively tearing them apart.

Go check out the Red Letter Media series on them, the hate for these films is almost unique.

sandshark

Bench
I think they will do another trilogy after this one. Maybe focus on spin offs for 5 years then another trilogy.
Wow I'm ranting like a hard fan boi haha.
Sorry lads, Star Wars hits the heart.

RoosTah

Juniors
Ive never seen a Star Trek movie so not sure what you hope to achieve by likening me to the Trekkies...

For someone who just brought up reading comprehension in his prior post, you don't seem terribly adept at it...

Star Wars fan bois and Star Trek fan bois are not fans of the same thing, but they share very many similar charactaristics.

Saying you are LIKE a trekkie fan boi who denied the possibility of a reboot Kirk film series does not actually imply you are a Star Trek fan :roll:

LESStar58

Referee
If you have read anything about Lucas well then you would know how defensive he is about them.

They will go only go forward with the main story line.
Maybe they will make spin off movies around the prequel period to touch up a few things..
If after 15 years they decide to go backwards and start the story again well then they might as well re-do the originals as well.
It won't happen in 15 years. Maybe and I say maybe after about 20 yes they will re do the whole lot. But just re-doing the prequels is pointless. Just like Spiderman reboots.. Everyone knows what happens.

And what is with the foul language? Lets be civil here. Just a discussion.

That part about Lucas being protective is key. Watch any making of doco or read any book about Star Wars and pay attention to the great lengths he went to to protect his ability to make future SW films.

With this in mind you'd think he would have negotiated some kind of terms when he sold LFL to protect what he'd already done?

strong_latte

Juniors
I think they will do another trilogy after this one. Maybe focus on spin offs for 5 years then another trilogy.

It hits the heart with all of us. That's why these prequels will happen. It's the same reason the keep trying to get Fantastic 4 right; fans want to see it done right.

LESStar58

Referee
For someone who just brought up reading comprehension in his prior post, you don't seem terribly adept at it...

Star Wars fan bois and Star Trek fan bois are not fans of the same thing, but they share very many similar charactaristics.

Saying you are LIKE a trekkie fan boi who denied the possibility of a reboot Kirk film series does not actually imply you are a Star Trek fan :roll:

Oh, I see...

RoosTah

Juniors
That part about Lucas being protective is key. Watch any making of doco or read any book about Star Wars and pay attention to the great lengths he went to to protect his ability to make future SW films.

With this in mind you'd think he would have negotiated some kind of terms when he sold LFL to protect what he'd already done?

Oh FFS, I literally just covered this...

You don't pay $4bn to get the rights to something and let them put major caveats in about massively limiting the earning potential of you can do with them.

Lucas did stagger the rights structure, so that Disney don't have full rights of the current films until 2020, but that's it.

Latte is probably right that this is more likely a 2030 proposition, but I honestly wouldn't be too surprised to see it sooner. I mean we're talking about films so bad there are a litany of online shows actively tearing them apart.

Go check out the Red Letter Media series on them, the hate for these films is almost unique.

LESStar58

Referee

Yep. 10, 11 and 12 will get done. Makes more sense than redoing the prequels but I would like to see ALL the saga films 1 through 12 before I die! The Anthology films are just a bonus.

sandshark

Bench

Ok I will agree with the 2030 proposition.
You don't have to tell me about the hate, I am one of them.
I just don't want to see a reboot fail like Spiderman (and they once again are rebooting that).
Rather would just leave them in the past.

strong_latte

Juniors
The rights thing is an important point and honestly the best way to think of it is the comment Gyngell made about the NRL rights during the last TV deal when Channel 9 basically kept the loathed control of scheduling and said words to the effect of "did you seriously think we'd spend this much money over these rights and NOT have any say over how we used them?"

LESStar58

Referee

Yeah. A multi-billion dollar corporation is going to give a f**k about a bunch of self appointed film critics on the internet/YouTube et all panning movies that everybody knows are bog average anyway.

I find it amusing at just how militant you two are about getting these redone. You are like Evangelist Christians or AFL fans.

The stork that brought you should have been shot for smuggling dope.

Last edited:

LESStar58

Referee
My view is they'll go back. They can't touch the original series, as they're rightly considered a master-piece of a trilogy (with the exception of all the Ewok shit in Jedi), but the prequels?? They're the most hated thing in cinema of the past 30 years, and so they're ripe for a bit of retelling.

Evidently you've never seen Jaws: The Revenge, Gigli, Halle Berry's Catwoman or Indiana Jones 4....

LESStar58

Referee
Of course it will. It's way too soon still (well I say that, but then there was a Spider-Man reboot 10 years after the original...) but after this trilogy is done and maybe a spin off or two (which never work as they want) they'll go back to the prequels precisely because they represent an opportunity.

If this series goes well, Disney will have the trust of the fan base to do whatever they like and people will go crazy for the chance to see "the prequels as they should have been"

Get that man a movie studio to run!

Latest posts