What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recruitment for 2004

How should the Warriors approach recruitment for next year?

• Stick to signing local juniors

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bring across some more Aussie players

• Don't care - as long as we get a goalkicker!

• Total voters

LeagueNut

First Grade
I've never made a poll before ... hope this works!

Since the Warriors have become much more selective in signing players, I think Kiwis have become more receptive to Aussies in our team. But who would you like to see in the black and silver jersey next year?

AliN

Live Update Team
Gotta say, we can cover options 1 and 3 in the poll with getting Daniel Floyd in there asap, as I've raved on about in the Warriors forum. :roll:

From the games I've seen in the Bartercard Cup and what I've covered there's a hell of a lot of talent there just waiting to get the chance.

I'm sure the Warriors scouts aren't missing that either, they haven't in the past couple of years.

In saying that, the intensity in thr NRL comp is so tough week after week, it's not silly to have someone like Campo with experience and go forward to lead the young guys coming thru.

That is what we are lacking, besides a goal kicker, and if Villa can get match fit and do what he's done in his short burst, then he'll lift Tooks and Jerry and Feka, do we need to look too far?

LeagueNut

First Grade
Yeah, I'm not too sure on the Daniel Floyd thing. Personally I think the Warriors must have a bloody good reason for not giving him a look in, but whatever the problem is isn't obvious to the fans!

Someone (Mick Watson??) came out a while ago and said we are looking for an experienced centre ... which probably means the end for John Carlaw. :( Our forward pack looks pretty settled, hopefully Danny Sullivan can shake the injuries though.

kaon

Juniors
There's not that much talent out there so Daniel might have to wait another season.

Josh Hannay would be one of the hottest on the market though.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
We should look to the Bartercard first simply because we're going to get better value for oney signing locals, which will give us more room under the cap to retain our stars. However we should still look further afield to fill any glaring gaps (ie the current goakicking situation)

guten_targ

Juniors
Gotta go with the local option..theres a lot of talent out there and I'd sooner see the Warriors benefit from it than the overseas clubs.

And yeah Alin..seen young floyd play and I agree the lad has some talent
and if given a go in the big time..he could become the answer to one
Ivan Cleary's absence.

ozbash

Referee
GT,welcome mate,,and yes,i agree,,, we should be looking at our young blokes first.

Kipper

Juniors
This all depends on just how good our young players really are.

I remember Daniel and Mick talking it up on some kind of Sky Sport 'advertorial' a couple of years ago, about how all these unnamed youngsters they've got coming through the ranks are going to be the stars of the NRL sooner rather than later. Unfortunately the Vinnie Andersons and Karl Te Matas of today don't look like they'll ever be much more than toilers to be honest, and even the big finds that prompted all that talk in the first place (Hohaia and Palea'aesina) seem slightly over-rated now (more the hype's fault than theirs). Of course, we shouldn't forget just how quickly the league boom was swamped by rugby going pro, so to expect the 198- generation to be anywhere near as good as the 197-'s probably isn't realistic.

Looking at the 3rd option, is everyone really that bothered by the goalkicking? I suppose it's hard to stomach such an obvious decline in a part of the game that's so easily isolated, but people forget we got an extra year of all of Anderson's 'works in progress' directly from that sacrifice. I didn't see many fans calling for a Meli or Fa'afili to be axed to make room for Cleary's pay rise, so where was the cash supposed to come from?

In poll format I guess I'll go with option A then, but add the caveat that we shouldn't smugly think everything we'll ever need will be right on our doorstep. There's nothing wrong with a bit of Broncos-style luring every now and then.

guten_targ

Juniors
Kipper said:
This all depends on just how good our young players really are.

I remember Daniel and Mick talking it up on some kind of Sky Sport 'advertorial' a couple of years ago, about how all these unnamed youngsters they've got coming through the ranks are going to be the stars of the NRL sooner rather than later. Unfortunately the Vinnie Andersons and Karl Te Matas of today don't look like they'll ever be much more than toilers to be honest, and even the big finds that prompted all that talk in the first place (Hohaia and Palea'aesina) seem slightly over-rated now (more the hype's fault than theirs). Of course, we shouldn't forget just how quickly the league boom was swamped by rugby going pro, so to expect the 198- generation to be anywhere near as good as the 197-'s probably isn't realistic.

I have to agree with you there..but then thats an achievement to be attained as I see it, and can be done with a lot of planning at grass roots level to a certain degree, plus with a little as you say it "bronco styled luring".

Looking at the 3rd option, is everyone really that bothered by the goalkicking? I suppose it's hard to stomach such an obvious decline in a part of the game that's so easily isolated, but people forget we got an extra year of all of Anderson's 'works in progress' directly from that sacrifice. I didn't see many fans calling for a Meli or Fa'afili to be axed to make room for Cleary's pay rise, so where was the cash supposed to come from?

Tell that to some of the fans in forums I've debated that with Kip..But then I look at it slightly off centre to most.

Look at Floyd, wonderfully gifted athlete, has the all around general skills of a Fullback in the mould of one Ivan Cleary, reads the play very well, granted Bartercard is not in the same league as the NRL(tell that to some of the guys I've played against) but the signs are all in the positive as to a posible replacement, its just a matter of when.

And yes I'm with you on that score..I to didnt hear the thought of swapping a meli for Ivan.

In poll format I guess I'll go with option A then, but add the caveat that we shouldn't smugly think everything we'll ever need will be right on our doorstep. There's nothing wrong with a bit of Broncos-style luring every now and then.

I have a belief that NZRL will improve only when and if we can match our neighbours across the tasman on every level..be it admin, junior, intermediate or Bartercard.

So if doing a Brisbane means buying a Campo, Ivan Cleary as a model to help lift the skills of our youth then so be it..and your right we shouldn't be so smug..but we should look to our own first and couple it with the above .

well really we covered all 3 options

with tony martin the goal kicker and experienced centre.
signed some local juniors with peranara and the 5/8 we have now.We also got some more aussies with sullivan and jobson.

Sydney Carton

Juniors
Get over here and sign up some Redcliffe Dolphins.....

We had a record 4 former Dolphins play SOO this year and there is an entire team's worth running around in the NRL....

Shoulda come sooner - you would have got the flying Aaron Barba - the fastest man in league is heading to Penrith now

ozbash

Referee
nope, no more qrl players...

you lot sent us webb and he is a total failure..
take him back,,,, please

Anonymous

Juniors
Unfortunately the Vinnie Andersons and Karl Te Matas of today don't look like they'll ever be much more than toilers to be honest,

To be fair Te Mata is 25 and Anderson is 24, they are hardly exciting youngsters, I don't think anyone is under any illusions about them.

I'm looking forward to seeing Hame Lauaki get a run next year.